Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to flatten without losing layer effects' "looks"

Mar 30, 2009 2:27 PM

I am working on a client project involving photoshop files, each containing lots of layers and a fair amount of layer effects...things like drop shadow, glow, bevel, etc.

I am not having luck flattening these images (which I need to do) without losing the look of the original.

For example, the shadows might be there, but they aren't as dark, or the glows might not be as bright.

I am using CS4 for Mac OS X, and this vendor used a Windows version of photoshop, but I don't know which version.

thanks for any ideas!

DZ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2009 2:38 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    The layered image and the flattened version are the same - there's no way to avoid that.

What can happen is that you see a noisy image at less than 100% zoom, and the preview and final can differ a bit (because the preview is downsampled). Or in 16 bit/channel you may get a slightly coarser preview at less than 100% zoom.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 3:14 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    DZ,

Are you viewing you layered and flattened images at 100% size?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 3:29 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    You didn't listen. as Neil says you have to view at 100% before and after flattening.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2009 3:40 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Yes, the "create layers" option doesn't preserve appearance exactly -- because not all the layer effects are that simple.

But what you see before flattening, *is* the flattened image -- it goes through exactly the same logic.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 4:13 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    DZ, just to make sure: With »flatten« You do mean reduce to the background layer and not just reducing the file-complexity by merging groups or such?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 7:35 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    >after I did my flattening, the change was very apparent right before my eyes, especially on elements in the image which were meant to look like glowing glass...it was not a slight difference.

Some of the blending modes may cancel out eachother when flattened. It happens and have samples, but who cares. At some point it will be fixed. Until then, live with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 8:02 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Try making a "merged-up" Stamp Visible layer at the top of the stack before flattening.

Cmd Option Shift E

--------
    One more thing:

fphz3rDz:

If I had seen your last message before I originally posted this one, I would not have bothered to try to help you.

If you ask for help here, it's less than gracious to respond rudely to other people who may choose to contribute to the thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    I have plenty to say. All of it seems to be less then palatable for commercial use. The features are broken. Unless you can fix it, what's your point?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 8:36 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    fphz3rDz, if you had a clue you would know that Mike is being very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 8:40 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    No one is kidding and if you will reread you have been give quite a few answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 8:41 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    C = don't flatten your files.

simple math.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 9:34 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    pretty much.

Ur an artist. Be creative and work around it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 9:38 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    DZ:
    Have you tried "Merging-UP" before flattening as I suggested earlier?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 10:00 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Use ID to make a PDF

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Mar 31, 2009 11:15 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Christoph,
    >just to make sure: With »flatten« You do mean reduce to the background layer and not just reducing the file-complexity by merging groups or such?

That terminology ("reduce to the background layer") is not used in the English version of Photoshop. Not even "reduce". :)

The menu item labeled "Auf die Hintergrundebene Reduzieren" (oder so was ähnliches) in German is labeled with a single word in English: Flatten.

I know how hard it is to refer to specifics in a version in a different language when you don't have it available. It's not a question of just translating the word. "Layers" in the German version are not layers at all but planes (»Ebenen«, nicht »Schichten«). Took me a few seconds to figure that one out when I started out to learn Photoshop. :)

The concept of "Reducing" is not used in the English version at all. "Sichtbare Ebenen auf eine Ebene reduzieren" is simply Merge Visible.

Usw

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Mar 31, 2009 11:21 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    What I found useful, from a linguistic point of view, was to download each of the User Guides/Help Files PDFs in the languages I'm interested in. They all amounted to just over half a Gigabyte. :D

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Mar 31, 2009 12:32 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Found the bookmark I wanted to give you, Christoph:

http://www.oweiss.com/articles/photoshop-glossary.htm

(Photoshop-Wörterbuch englisch / deutsch)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2009 10:20 PM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    Thanks, Ramón.
    Actually Im working with the English language version now, but for years had been using the German one, so I guess some residual terminology crept in  

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 6:19 AM   in reply to (fphz3rDz)
    fphz3rDz,
    Try flattening the layers a few at a time (instead of the whole image in one shot).

If the look changes, undo that and try flattening a different combination of layers at the same time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)