• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4, do you talk to any actual photographers?

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I use the new Photoshop CS4 which is part of my CS4 design standard I get so annoyed with you lot at Adobe. What have you done, I don't think you actually take any advice from real photographers who are using your product every day. Sure you may talk to the occasional photographer who is happy to spend 10 hours on one image, paid for by a huge client. But what about everyday professionals that use photoshop as an important tool in their everyday digital workflow.

What I like in the new CS4;
The quick selection tool,
The clone stamp preview.

What I hate about CS4;
1. New screen mode functions, when you select 'full screen mode with menu bar' the image now anchors to the bottom of the screen. How stupid was that? Not only is that where the auto dock will appear on a mac, but I need to see beyond the bottom edge of the image, unless you can see beyond the bottom edge, you do not know where the bottom edge is. Sure you can use the hand tool to re-position the image but as soon as you touch the navigator to re-size, down it jumps to the bottom of the screen. It used to float freely in CS3, why change it.
2. No contact sheet II in the automate menu. Now you want me to create contact sheets in pdf format. I am a professional photographer, I use a professional lab for printing, professional labs want image files like jpegs or tiffs not pdf's. Who thought that was a good idea? not a photographer. Your solution is to load the 'legacy version' as a plug-in. The fact you have withdrawn it from CS4 demonstrates you don't understand the business of professional photography.
3. Colour labels used in CS4 bridge aren't recognised by lightroom2. CS4 bridge cant read CS2 Bridge colour labels. Why not? it's just simple metadata and they are all Adobe products.

There are other niggles but these three affect my workflow detrimentally and I get annoyed with you lot at Adobe every day, not because I'm a grumpy old whatsit but because you software designers/engineers change things and you obviously don't know how they are used in the real world. You also develop ridiculous things like the aptly named 'image toss' what is the point of that? As a piece of software it might be very clever but I can't see how it will ever be useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

You're addressing fellow users here, not Adobe, just your peers.

Your post is a little too long to read in its entirety, but your number 2 is misguided. Contact Sheet II is available as an option, it's just not installed by default. Download it, install it and you'll have it in File > Automate in CS4 too.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/where_did_extra.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is a little too long to read in its entirety...
Chris, I really apologize for hijacking your thread, but this has just gotta be said:

Ramon, you're a tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're nothing, Vee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a day late for an April Fool joke.

There are only a few thousand photographers in the Photoshop beta test program, and our alpha test group is heavily weighted toward photographers, in addition to the dozen or so semi-pro photographers on the development team. Yeah, I think we listened to a few photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is image toss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(J_Maloney) wrote:

What is image toss?

A very unfortunate name!

It certainly wouldn't have been called that in the UK, as it sounds like it pertains to pleasures of the onanistic kind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hand toss images: Select the Hand tool and click-toss the image (like flicking on the iPhone). The image should glide across the screen and slowly come to rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the ability to flick the image and send it free-wheeling in any direction in CS4 but you need to be able to use OpenGL to use that feature.

I love it.

[And I am a photographer!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Sheet belongs in Photoshop by default install, and forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Hand toss images: Select the Hand tool and click-toss the image (like flicking on the iPhone). The image should glide across the screen and slowly come to rest.

Which is referred to in the help and prefs as "flick panning". Interesting.

And why do you love it Ann? I must say I turned it off immediately. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're nothing, Vee.
Plonk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are zoomed-in and retouching a large image, you just flick and the image starts gliding; and you can then just click on the screen to stop it dead in its tracks in that position.

Bird's Eye View and Toss Image are two new features that I find very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also develop ridiculous things like the aptly named 'image toss' what is the point of that? As a piece of software it might be very clever but I can't see how it will ever be useful.
I kind of liken this to a pen you might twirl in your hand as you think/work... I agree that it's not necessary, but I've found it's sort of an immersive experience, if that makes any sense. It's inaccurate, but just "catch" the image again to land on the spot I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again,

Don't get me wrong, I love photoshop and wouldn't do without it.
I recommend it to everyone who doesn't yet use it.

It's a shame the Adobe Photoshop engineer above applied himself to being personally rude and sarcastic. It just reinforces the impression that Adobe are arrogant.

I knew some people would love image toss and I appreciate the evolution of the interface, but when you have hundreds of images to process, and they muck about with my digital workflow it has a huge impact. Maybe I wouldn't be quite so grumpy if my mac could do OpenGL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Some observations, from the sidelines...
>It's a shame the Adobe Photoshop engineer above applied himself to being personally rude and sarcastic.

But, you started off with,
>Photoshop CS4, do you talk to any actual photographers?
>...What have you done, I don't think you actually take any advice from real photographers who are using your product every day. Sure you may talk to the occasional photographer who is happy to spend 10 hours on one image, paid for by a huge client.

Yet you accuse Chris of being rude and arrogant.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris you call chris cox rude and sarcastic, we have been interacting with chris cox for years now. you show up we have never heard of you before yet you start ranting about things you know nothing about.

who really is rude?

I don't think its CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say that's probably one of the reasons many companies keep such a tight rein on how they provide support. Personally, I think it's great to have the Photoshop engineers interacting with the community, but you run the risk of... well, just being yourself. Support personnel, on the other hand, are trained to appease the customer and sugar coat their responses, for better or worse. :/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Boyce, you are a moron.

That's not rude, that's factual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe listens to too many Photographers is the real problem. Even Bruce said so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't wait to see this happy talk migrated to the new forums.
Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Boyce, you are a moron.

That's not rude, that's factual.
Perfect example of what's wrong with this forum (the community, not the software running it) when there aren't any repercussions for folks who are overtly offensive. :/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Can't wait to see this happy talk migrated to the new forums.

You mean the Kindergarten Forums?

Where we get to:

Post the "happy talk" in colored text in a dozen fonts (including Comic Sans!);

Display ugly mug shots of ourselves (or the sort of self-satisfied smirks that we have already seen in the Test Forum);

And give each other Points (Gold Stars) for "Correct Answers".

And it is all as slow molasses in February?

But they did leave out the finger paint so where's the fun in that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vee S:

Perhaps you don't quite "Fit in" here?

[I recognise the style of this poster but there appears to have been a name change?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You mean the Kindergarten Forums?
Where we get to:
Post the "happy talk" in colored text in a dozen fonts (including Comic Sans!);
Display ugly mug shots of ourselves (or the sort of self-satisfied smirks that we have already seen in the Test Forum);
And give each other Points (Gold Stars) for "Correct Answers".
And it is all as slow molasses in February?
But they did leave out the finger paint so where's the fun in that?

No.
Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines