Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

BLUDVLZ's Logo Manifesto

Aug 3, 2003 8:22 AM

Greetings all,

For the past few weeks, Ive received a few email requests asking for my thoughts regarding proper logo creation. It seems to be one of the more requested topics that appears on the forums, so hopefully this will serve as some sort of guide on the topic. Ive done a few rants (as I like to call them) on the subject over the past two years or so that Ive been participating in these forums, but it seems that over the course of time, those rants have passed from the forum archives into the great unknown. Therefore, to satisfy the requests Ive gotten recently, I thought Id throw up a new post on the topic. It wont be the most detailed dissertation on the subject that I could do, but is far more than Ive ranted on in the past. Ill probably gloss over a few things and leave out some of the more in-depth reasoning behind what write, but if it spawns questions or debate Ill be sure to keep an eye on this thread and answer whatever questions I can (my days seem to be growing ever busier and I have less and less time for the forums). So please feel free to read through this, take and use whatever advice you wish or feel free to disagree if you want to. It all makes for a good thread and a good teaching tool. Enjoy

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2003 8:41 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    This is bloody brilliant. Copy/Paste material for anyone who might be interested in this sort of thing.

Thanks so much for your efforts in writing this all out, BLU, and for posting it here. It deserves to be a featured article in a magazine or on CreativePro.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 8:45 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    I agree, Blu... excellent...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 8:57 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    BLU...

Would you please send me a simple text document of this? (No MS WORD, please)

No nefarious purposes, I just want to have it as a well-reasoned reminder.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 9:21 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Yes, BLU, it's brilliant! Very helpful indeed! :) I had a graphics teacher once who said the best logos are just SHAPES with very little detail. And not round. There's too many round logos, he said.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 11:14 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Great Manifesto Bludvlz.

You also have to get your logo B.S. Flowing. There was a great spot on
    comedy central about the homeland defense logo (can't find the comedy
    central link ) http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/index.jsp
    They claimed that the eagle was breaking out of circle to symbolize how the
    deparment would break through the bureacracy.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 3:07 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Hey Blu,

Long time no see, we've missed you---hopefully you've been "good busy". (Meaning the productive, non-stress and profitable kind!)

Thank you so much for your logo dissertation. I learned more from reading this than I did in the two weeks in illustrator class dealing with logo design. It's printed out and filed in my graphic/photo reference drawer labeled, "Blu's Logo Design Wisdom".

The most "memorable" thing I learned in logo design---(and it's probably common knowledge to most), but I wasn't aware of it. When you have a capital letter "E" followed by a lower case "x", the space between the "Ex" forms a forward arrow indicating movement.(not in this type font, but the bold ones you discussed).

Anyway, thanks again for the way cool,
    Exciting information.

Patty :)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 8:30 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    See FedEx logo... brilliant!

I believe the type in that logo was either hand rendered or scaled to produce the arrow in the negative space between the "E" and the "x." I don't know of any typeface where the lc "x" height of the face equals the height of the top of the middle finger in a Cap "E." Also, the Kerning of the letters was tightened up to close the gaps between the individual letters, again, brilliant design. It pretty much does exactly what Blu describes a good logo needs to do...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 10:19 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Thanks Blu - as a print person it's a joy to read a designer who knows about print limitations, consistency of spot colours over process, the practicality of reproduction of squarish shapes, why to use a vector programme, why it HAS to work as line art - I'd like to hand your ?disquisition? to sooooo many so-called designers I have to wrestle with.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 10:22 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    ... or customers who already have an expensively designed multi-colour, photographic type logo and come out with 'the sign writer needs this as something called a vector, it's going to be about five feet high, can you do that by this afternoon?"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 10:33 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    In fact, I propose a new law - no-one is allowed to design a logo until s/he has read, understood and thoroughly digested everything Blu said. Anyone who says 'you can just grab it off our website' to be sentenced to five years as an ink-boy (sorry, when there were ink-boys there weren't ink-girls) and have their mouse/tablet surgically removed and re-inserted.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 10:41 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    The rules are 'There are no rules'.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 11:01 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    That might work on Planet up-yourself-Designer (not meaning you, Zeb) but not in the world of ink and paper, signs, coffee mugs etc. Do you drive on any particular side of the road at all?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2003 11:18 PM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Time, budget, life-span, customer quirks, and a hundred more variables, override any idealistic rules...

...Unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 5:05 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Blu

Excellent. I copied the entire thing to notepad and saved to my HD for
    future reference and repeated readings! You really need to publish that!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 6:21 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Sorry everyone, that was written in haste and sounded personal, maybe - I was referring to a bunch of airheads who drive me to distraction, not casting aspersions on anyone here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 6:40 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Nice job Blu... There was an article in Before & Ater magazine (http://www.bamagzine.com)that features logo designs & elements - some tips actually.... however, yours is much more in-depth & thought provoking. Thanks for sharing it... Is there a way I can I save it to disk & print it later?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 7:10 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    >BLUDVLZ's first rule of Graphic Design is that before you can break the rules for graphic design, you must first know the rules of graphic design... and make no mistake about it, there ARE rules.

Don't worry, Blu, I think Zeb and r's posts were more T-I-C than anything. I agree, you MUST know the rules, before you can violate them. I like the word "violate" better than "break." It just sounds more deviant! ;-)

b [edit] Bwaaaah Haaa Haa Haaa! ;-)

BTW, Blu, I wouldn't mind a PDF of that also. Just click on my name above to get my e-address. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 7:46 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Knowing the rules so's yuh can break 'em....same goes for improvisational music performance as well. It's magically liberating when you get to that point, then to break the barrier and travel into the great unknown beyond.....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 7:50 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    >before you can break the rules for graphic design, you must first know the rules of graphic design

I must disagree strongly with this premise. You may be pulling down $13 million/year as a creative director, but my credentials are impeccable. (Try and pecc them, betcha can't) I don't know squat about graphic design yet I'm confident that I have violated many if not most of the rules. Some people are born with a bad eye and no taste, but others of us have had to work very hard to rise to that level.

(Great resource, BLU)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 8:12 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Thanks Blu... I sent an email.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 8:15 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    Aw gee, I was pulling your leg! (except for the not knowing about graphic design part)

I'm a carpenter Jim, not a doctor!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 8:30 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    One of the logos I like is this:
    http://www.trimet.org/

Portland is the "Rose City" and TriMet serves three counties around Portland.

It has been modified from the original, but retains it's identity.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2003 8:36 AM   in reply to (BLUDVLZ)
    >I'm a carpenter Jim, not a doctor!

Do you tell that to your patients before or after the amputation surgery?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)