Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot install Photoshop CS3 - Installer just dissappeared

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2007 Apr 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue installing Photoshop CS3 as follow:

I have removed all Photoshop CS3 Beta manually (Use control panel, deleted files and registries) as instructed in this web and get rid of all thing involved Adobe out of my computer.

When I clicked Setup.exe, a setup windows with progressive bar (See in http://www.thetaforce.com/image/cs3installer.jpg ) appeared shortly and then disappear!
Then nothing is happenned further. No error message. It just disappeared. I wait for an hour but nothing happened.

I tried to run Windows in clean mode (msconfig -> disable unneccessary services) and also disable Antivirus and Firewall etc. But this problem persists.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (32Bit) and have Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz with 1.5GB of Ram (DDR2) and 100GB HDD. Graphic shared Intel 945GM Express Chipset.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 179 Replies 179
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen rare instances when an application will not install directly from the CD. Copy the entire CD to a folder on your disk drive, then run setup.exe (or maybe autorun.exe) from that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried so but it is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

I have dualboot machine and I tried install to WinXP Pro SP2 and to Vista Ultimate - Installer just quits and thats all.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2,4
MB Asus P5B Intel P965
2 Gb RAM DDR2-6400 Corsair
Asus Radeon X1900XT 512MB
free HDD 41 GB (XP SP2) and 99 GB (Vista)

But in both OS have installed the same Adobe products:
Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (and ImageReady)
Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Maybe conflict is in installed software...

P.S. CS3 Beta never installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chayuth, why did you uninstall CS3 beta manually? Try installing it again, then uninstall it with Add/Remove Programs. If you are lucky, it may clean itself out better this time. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on xp sp2. I've been tearing my hair out for nigh 12 hours trying to resolve this one. I followed the uninstall process to the letter, tried the scipt, removed every adobe application (LR CS2 cs3beta and acrobat), cleaned the registry of key etc and even went through the manual removal process more than a few times.

If I check the event viewer, the msiintaller exits gracefully and states that Product: Adobe Setup -- Configuration completed successfully. But it's not installed?

I reinstalled CS3beta and reactivated it, as I thought this might have been an issue, so I deactivated and went the the whole process again including downloading the 400+ mb update file.

The log file in the /common files/installer is generated and my source files are on the same volume. I'm now wondering whether my AVirus application might have something to do with it, but every other adobe application installs without a hitch.

The mind boggles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote that "I have removed all Photoshop CS3 Beta manually (***Use control panel***, deleted files and registries) as instructed in this web". This means I uninstalled by using add/remove programs first, of course.

Besides, I don't keep the beta installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chayuth and John, I now remember that a couple of weeks ago, while rearranging things on my computer, I removed CS3 beta. When I tried to reinstall it, the installer program hung. I don't remember exactly which action I took to get it working again, but it was probably one of these three things:

1) Add/Remove Programs does not remove the CS3 beta folder from Program Files. Do that manually.

2) Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties, then Disk Cleanup. Check every box except "Compress old files."

3) The above step cleans out most everything except the Temp folder. To do this manually, do Start>Run, then enter %temp%. Delete everything that Windows will let you delete.

I hope one of those things will work for you guys, because I can't recall anything else I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe,

I've tried all of these and still no luck. I'm now thinking there's something wrong with the installer. I've burnt so much time on this its getting out of hand. I could try a complete re-install of XP as one last resort, but i'll wait until monday and get in touch with support.

I would put it down to my own inexperience but having 20+ years in software / hardware development, suggests that its something more fundamental.

I'm reading on other forums that there's a few other people in the same boat, so lets see how adobe play this one out.

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have the exact same problems with XP Pro. Tried everything. Its not related to beta cs3. I can install and unintall the beta no problem with add and remove, clean the files with the new script wincs3clean and it quits after the files are "initialized" and setup box flashes on and shuts down. Adobe support so far has no clue but has heard of the problem. This is really frustrating and a waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem. Installation runs, finishes and shows that Photoshop CS3 was not installed (only several Shared components). Nothing more information. It's bad, because I need logs to clarify the source of the issue.
Tryed to log on WinXP under other User Account (as Administrator) but in this case, when this http://www4.0zz0.com/2007/04/20/19/26975031.png window open I got pop-up with something like Internet Explorer (???) script error... and everything was stopping.

No ideas about new Adobe adventure software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling IE 7, running the install, then reinstalling IE 7. Some people have found this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in Vista IE7 is integrated part of OS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you can't uninstall IE7 in Vista...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there IE7 installed on your XP PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2007 Apr 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have IE7 installed on my XPSP2 pc, i'd be interested to see if this is the root cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2007 Apr 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've since removed IE7, cleaned the registry and tried installing CS3 again, still no joy. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2007 Apr 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue as Matthew Hirst. The installer initializes then vanishes. Ive done everything known to the digital world including completely uninstalling all adobe products and my anti-virus, disconnecting back up drives, loading from the hard drive, sacrificing a small animal, selling my soul to satan after doing the hokey pokey while naked and painted like an easter egg. No go. Im on XP-MCE. *sighs* Ah well, back to reinstalling CS2 I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows XP. I tried to install Photoshop CS3. Two drives would not recognize the disk yet they recognized other disks. An external drive did, but I had the same problem as Pipkin (#10) did. ...only a few shared components were installed. I had turned off my virus software...tried installing from the desktop...don't have Zone Alarm on my machine. I installed Lightroom last week, and it installed fine. I used "Add and Remove Programs" to remove any trace of CS3 before trying to install it yet another time. My version is an "Upgrade" and the latest version I have on my machine is CS2. I am not a Techie so I am not going to wipe my computer clean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with a core 2 duo e6700 and 8800GTX OC. Same problem as everyone else being that the setup executables wont load. Quick loading bar then it dissapears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been through a five-hour nightmare of installing Photoshop CS3, and appear finally to have a successful installation. I had the same problem reported here: start setup, a small dialog saying it was initializing appears and progress bar advances. Dialog disappears and nothing more happens.

I deactivated and uninstalled the CS3 beta. Install of Photoshop CS3 from the distribution DVD failed. Then I went down some long involved rabbit holes! The CS3 cleanup script wouldn't run because the Windows Installer Cleanup utility wasn't installed. Downloaded the latest version of that, and it wouldn't install complaining about a VBScript error. Lots of searching the web for solutions to that, including massive permission changes to the registry, which didn't work. Ended up restoring the registry to a previous state, then found an older version of Windows Installer Cleanup utility that would install.

Ran CS3Cleanup levels 1 and 2 and install still wouldn't work.

Before giving up for the night, I tried copying the Adobe CS3 folder from the DVD to a hard drive and ran setup from there. Got the same progress window and then finally a regular window telling me to stop firefox and retry. I did, and setup ran to completion.

What's really bizarre is that although I started setup from the hard drive copy, the DVD was spinning throughout the installation. This suggest to me that installation was occurring from the DVD even though I had started it from the hard drive.

So it appears that copying the Adobe CS3 folder to a hard drive was the magic incantation that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got CS3 to install last night, I decided to vanilla install XP sp2 from scratch using a ghost copy.

I then ran the installer from the same physical disk but diffrent partition and I got 2 errors, CS3 and shared components failed to install. I was just about to throw the towel in, having cleanned my pc back to nothing but base XP sp2 install and then I thought why not put the whole 460mb package on the root or C:.

I ran the installer and uncompressed the file, which created the installer and executed. The options screen popup (at last!!) and I chose the default install location and few minutes later, CS3 was installed and running.

I then spent the next couple of hours updating XP with 80+ security patches, IE7 and all my other applications.

This may seem a bit drastic, but I can only conclude that this problem had nothing to do with CS3beta but rather a conflict with one or some XP security updates / patches.

Also, there must be something inherently wrong with the CS3 installer scripts, perhaps absolute rather dynamic file addressing as it just would not work if I put the installer on a different drive.

I've burnt nigh on 20 hours on this upgrade and finally have it running.

Focusing on the positives, my pc is running a lot quicker and has less bloatware than before, however getting a PC to be stable takes a lot of time and effort, which I now have to contend with. In fact, IE 7 is already crashing more than it did previsouly!

Looking on the bright side, I finally have access to my CS3beta PSDs with LR working in harmony.

I do hope others can solve the problem in a less drastic manner. For me, I felt it better to work from a know XP build to isolate the many variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still trying to install my cs3 on XP pro SP2. Tried even to load it under diagnostic mode with just windows installer running. Same "silent exit" from setup.exe dialog box after initialization of files. Whats frustrating is that I dont get any error messages. It does leave an install log which I have forwarded to Adobe, but still waiting for an intelligent answer.
The last one was to make sure I cleared my Temp files and had enough disk space. Argh!!
It will be a week now since I purchased this upgrade, obviously not worth the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines