Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Thinking of buying from eBay?

Feb 15, 2008 2:02 PM

Edited October 23, 2008

The original article that this post referred to has expired but there's still quite a bit of good information in this thread.

The point is that eBay software is a risky purchase with much of it illegally pirated.

Bob

Replies 1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2008 2:33 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Should make this a sticky.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2008 2:38 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Maybe with a note about the "CS2 made in Singapore" story.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2008 4:02 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    In Australia there are people selling CS3 on Ebay in un-opened shrink wrapped boxes for around $300 which is far less than the cheapest retail here of $860. I've contacted a few of them and all claim to have sources in the USA who ship them bulk genuine copys of CS3. One guy even phtoographed the inside of the cd case to show the discs but I can't verify if these are genuine as I haven't even seen genuine CS3 discs. I know about pirate downloads and CD copys but these look like the real deal in real boxes that might have been purchased cheap in bulk. Should I risk it?

Regards Jeff.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2008 6:06 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    no. these "mid priced" copies are generally the result of a rash of high quality pirates. they copy discs manuals etc, shrink wrap and instead of charging 50 bux which is a major clue to a rip off, they charge 300 or 400 so the buyer thinks they're getting a "deal".

don't do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2008 7:46 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    What is the retail price for CS3 in the USA? Do Adobe sell bulk wholsale copies for as low as $200USD?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2008 7:53 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    300 standard upgrade, 650 standard full vers

350 extended ed. upgrade. 1000 bux ext ed full vers (holy carp!!! that's gone up!!!)

how's that compare with the aussie dollar?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 4:41 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Bob Levine wrote:
    > http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080215/1592630.html?.v=1

I bought my copy of CS2 through eBay but first asked for the serial number
    and checked this with Adobe. After they told me the serial number was valid
    and not yet registered I ordered the software.

--
    Kees de Bruin

"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 4:44 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    >After they told me the serial number was valid and not yet registered I ordered the software

that's wise. you got a good deal kees! no one's saying that EVERYTHING on ebay is pirated, but the legit ones seem to be in the minority. (at least as far as what's been discussed here.) a careful buyer can lessen his chances of getting burned by being as diligent as you were.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 4:52 PM   in reply to dave milbut
    Prices in Australian dollars, from a reputable retailer:

PS CS3 full version AU$899
    PS CS3 Extended full version AU$1489
    PS CS3 upgrade AU$275
    PS CS3 Extended education AU$399

Current exchange rate US$0.92 equals AU$1.00

so converting the above:

PS CS3 full version US$827
    PS CS3 Extended full version US$1370
    PS CS3 upgrade US$253
    PS CS3 Extended education US$367

Klaas

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2008 8:34 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Kees,

The other consideration is not only whether or not it's a legit copy but also whether or not it's so cheap because it's a real copy but stolen and sold for cheap. I have no doubt that the occaisonal box of new software goes missing from time to time.

There's a new guy selling CS3 on Ebay Australia starting from this week and in his ad he has a screenshot of the photoshop initialising screen on his own computer but if you look carefully you can see the words beta in the top right hand corner! The beta version is not the retail version is it? Here is a link to his ad:

[expired link removed that was long enough to impact the forum layout]

Regards Jeff.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2008 3:53 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    I bought CS3 from ebay and it seems to be ligitiment...loaded software and registered it...all seems ok....got it for $280.00...said made in usa on box.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2008 6:31 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Hey Bob...could you please shorten Jeff's SuperLink? You could use this: http://xrl.us/bgge4 (Link to cgi.ebay.com.au) (as generated by http://metamark.net)

For that matter, the link doesn't even need to be there at all. A description would suffice.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2008 8:21 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Will the beta version still work at all? Seems Adobe would disable it with their online registration. I run a photography business and would love to upgrade my photoshop but don't want to be out of money buying some bootleg or beta stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2008 8:25 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    >Will the beta version still work at all?

no. not without modifications to your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2008 8:27 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    >and would love to upgrade my photoshop but don't want to be out of money buying some bootleg or beta stuff.

so buy it.

from a legit reseller, not from some fell of the back of a truck operation.

is that how you do all your business? then why would you consider doing it like that in this case, especially assuming that if you run a photog business, photoshop would seem to be a pretty critical componant of your operations?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2008 3:20 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    It's not a photo of his screen at all... it's an image hosted on www.dphotojournal.com.

Considering the quantity he has for sale (and has sold), I'd be pretty wary of these. They're selling at less than £200.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2008 4:22 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    The ebay auction/sale link Jeff posted has been removed. Someone clued ebay in as to what was going on, presumably.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2008 6:49 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    This just posted on Ars Technica today:

http://tinyurl.com/27rgvk

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2008 3:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Definitely not. Go to a reputable dealer and know that what you are getting is genuine. I am lucky that I'm a teacher and so bought the production suite as an educator about 1/3 the regular price. Also adobe have deals for peole in full time education/stuidents. Check it out as adobe will ship you the genuine product fopr next to nothing. Even cheaper as a student than the pirated ebay stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2008 6:07 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Dave, wouldn't you consider amazon.com a "legit reseller?"  I know of one person who purchased Photoshop from a private seller on Amazon.com  She installed and registered the program through Adobe, everything went fine.  9 months later, she decided to sell it and contacted Adobe to find out how to transfer ownership.  Adobe told her the program was a pirate copy and neither Adobe or Amazon would do a single thing about it since it was 9 months ago.  This woman bought the program in good faith, paid good money for it, used it for 9 months and then she finds out it is a pirate copy.  When it registers without a hitch how on earth is she supposed to know it is a pirate copy.<br />Jane Anderson<br /><br /><<<<<dave milbut - 9:27am Feb 21, 08 PST (#16 of 20)    <br /><br />and would love to upgrade my photoshop but don't want to be out of money buying some bootleg or beta stuff. <br />so buy it. <br /><br />from a legit reseller, not from some fell of the back of a truck operation. <br /><br />is that how you do all your business? then why would you consider doing it like that in this case, especially assuming that if you run a photog business, photoshop would seem to be a pretty critical componant of your operations? >>>>>

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2008 7:27 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    > Dave, wouldn't you consider amazon.com a "legit reseller

hi jane, yes. amazon's great. it's the amazon resellers that i wouldn't buy from (ok, i sometimes buy used books from them for ~99 cents! :) )

as long as you're buying DIRECT from amazon, not a 3rd party, you'll have no problems.

>I know of one person who purchased Photoshop from a private seller on Amazon.com

right. "private seller" is the key phrase there.

I've had nothing but great service from amazon over the years and recommend them to anyone who'll listen. :)

>hen it registers without a hitch how on earth is she supposed to know it is a pirate copy.

that's a good point. i don't know. credit card company, better business buereu? amazon? (even if they couldn't refund, they should at least go after the seller if he's still active).

sometimes you just get screwed, i guess. you can lessen the chances of that i suppose, but my working assumption is if you think the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. for instance, if your friend saves $100 dollars over the "regular" "buy from amazon" price by going with a reseller, then i don't know what to tell you except why would she think she could get a legit copy for $100 less than anyone else? does she think she's special and that she deserves a $100 discount? ;)

in other words, and to be blunt (sorry) she felt like she was "getting over" by getting the app for less than regular price. everyone says, a good deal is a good deal, right? sometimes that pays off, and sometimes the seller "gets over" on the buyer and is long gone before they're even aware of it.

caveat emptor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2008 7:51 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    You're also safe buying from any of a number of legitimate companies that sell through Amazon (as well as their own sites), such as J & R.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2008 8:44 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Now wait just one minute here. First of all I did not mention what price she paid. She bought from Amazon because like you and like me, Amazon offers "nothing but great service" as you say. Well let's see - does she think she is special? No. Does she deserve a $100 discount? I did not even say the price she paid. Do NOT put words in my mouth. She bought from Amazon because she wanted to buy from a reputable place.

I was not aware that "private parties" are allowed to use Amazon to screw Amazon's customers. And obviously she was not either. caveat emptor my eye, Amazon brags about their resellers and how if it is not right, then they will fix it. Well they sure did. Now that I know, I will never buy from Amazon again, and I have bought a lot. But this woman didn't know.

All of your barbs are failing to address the issue. Adobe accepted the serial number when she registered it. 9 months later, when she wanted to sell the program, Adobe told her it was a pirate copy. "Sometimes you just get screwed." THAT is your solution to this mess?
    Jane Anderson

dave milbut - 8:27pm Mar 28, 08 PST (#22 of 23) Edited: 28-Mar-2008 at 08:30pm

right. "private seller" is the key phrase there.

I've had nothing but great service from amazon over the years and recommend them to anyone who'll listen.

sometimes you just get screwed, i guess. you can lessen the chances of that i suppose, but my working assumption is if you think the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. for instance, if your friend saves $100 dollars over the "regular" "buy from amazon" price by going with a reseller, then i don't know what to tell you except why would she think she could get a legit copy for $100 less than anyone else? does she think she's special and that she deserves a $100 discount?

in other words, and to be blunt (sorry) she felt like she was "getting over" by getting the app for less than regular price. everyone says, a good deal is a good deal, right? sometimes that pays off, and sometimes the seller "gets over" on the buyer and is long gone before they're even aware of it.

caveat emptor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 2:32 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Jane, you are not talking to Adobe here, just some users trying to pass on information.

Don't shoot the messenger!

It's a hard world out there and we have seen dozens of people complaining here about software that turns out to be pirated. All we can do is try and warn others.

I'm sure Amazon have covered their backside with some small print about the legitimacy of resellers, but that doesn't help people who didn't notice it.

Dave is right CAVEAT EMPTOR!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 6:30 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    You will have to excuse me, I am a newbie to this Adobe forum, and was not expecting the members here to be rude. I can see people who have purchased a pirated copy of Adobe programs would be "stuck" with it.

However - this program sailed through the registration process without a hitch. It was only 9 months later that Adobe decided this copy was pirated. If Adobe won't own up to their shoddy business practices of changing their mind months later, then I would be very leery of BUYING any Adobe product. And I think as others discover just what is going on with Adobe, they just might start feeling the same way.
    Jane Anderson

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 6:48 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    > ... was not expecting the members here to be rude.

You should see it when we do real rude! :)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 8:21 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Adobe do not confirm valid serials over the phone. Some of the 'customer services' agents have been found to confirm if a serial is _registered_ or not, which is not the same as confirm if the serial is legal or valid. Just because it activates does not mean that it is legal, or belongs to that particular product build.

Amazon is reputable - a question mark hangs over some of the third party sellers on there - especially since some of them are effectively using Amazons product description of the legal product to shift illegal product. :(

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 8:59 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Some of the pirated versions have a hacked activation and registration system that makes it look like it is being activated or registered with Adobe when it isn't. If you use the Adobe registration system, you will get a confirmation screen that says there will be a followup email with a free bonus (font or training video) -- although the email sometimes comes months later. Do you remember getting that screen and the email offer?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 9:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    > Now wait just one minute here.

ok.

> Do NOT put words in my mouth.

I was putting forth a scenario as an EXAMPLE. i never put words in your mouth. you asked a question, i answered and now you want to get all huffy with me?

> Now that I know, I will never buy from Amazon again, and I have bought a lot.

I was trying avoid that impression. i buy tons from there. the point i was trying to make is just be careful. same as you would anywhere else! would you consider buying the stereo from a guy out of the trunk of his car when it's parked in front of circuit city or best buy? if so, then you take your chances. why would ANYone consider it? well to save a buck of course. so just because i picked $100 out of the air as an example when maybe it was $50 or $25 doesn't invalidate my example. if she WASN'T trying to get over, she would've bought directly from amazon instead of a 3rd party. the same reason anyone might buy from the guy with the stereos in the trunk instead of walking in the store.

for the record, I believe she has a BIG beef with amazon, especially if she does a lot of business there. I'd talk to them and then escalate to a manager. I BET you they'd give her her money back if she pushes hard enough. repeat... the front line drones won't be able to help her, but a customer service manager might.

>All of your barbs are failing to address the issue.

I flung no barbs. sorry if you got that impression. YOU specifically asked ME for my opinion, and i gave it.

>Adobe accepted the serial number when she registered it. 9 months later, when she wanted to sell the program, Adobe told her it was a pirate copy.

THAT'S a problem. did you mention that before? if so i missed it. (reading back i see you did say: "she installed and registered it".) I believe adobe should bear some responsibility there if they indeed accepted it as a valid # at one point. if they registered it at first they should probably stick by that. i'd escalate with adobe in that case.

>"Sometimes you just get screwed." THAT is your solution to this mess?

no, that's my answer to your question. is it wrong? if you think it is, i'd like to live in the world where you're living. someitmes you DO get screwed, everyone does.

like john said, i don't work for adobe and no one else here does either. this is a user to user forum.

>and was not expecting the members here to be rude.

was i rude? please go back and read my post. i went out of my way NOT to be rude about a sensitive situation and in fact apologized ahead of time when i felt i had to state something bluntly to get the point i was making across clearly. WHO'S being rude here?

>However - this program sailed through the registration process without a hitch. It was only 9 months later that Adobe decided this copy was pirated.

again, that's a problem to take up with adobe, and maybe a lawyer if she's so inclined.

so sorry if i appeared rude. you seemed to me to be an adult so i tried to respond in an adult manner, in an adult matter. if i knew you were going to react so childishly, i would've not bothered to respond at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 5:10 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    > "However - this program sailed through the registration process without a hitch. It was only 9 months later that Adobe decided this copy was pirated."

Not to cast aspersions, but this claim smells funny to me, or there's info you have left outwhether by intention or notwhich would serve to deodorize it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2008 5:15 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Again, if it was a pirate copy, it could well have had a hacked registration module.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2008 5:12 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    >if it was a pirate copy, it could well have had a hacked registration module.

true. no way to tell for an average person, until a problem like this occurs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2008 5:26 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    > I was not aware that "private parties" are allowed to use Amazon to screw Amazon's customers. And obviously she was not either. caveat emptor my eye, Amazon brags about their resellers and how if it is not right, then they will fix it. Well they sure did. Now that I know, I will never buy from Amazon again, and I have bought a lot. But this woman didn't know.

I honestly find it difficult to believe there are so many educated people who still believe they can get a deal 'on the street.' Software isn't always safe coming direct from the publisher, but it's the only way one can truly expect it to be. Would you buy a car from a dealer who lets anyone use their lot to sell their own cars?

As for Amazon specifically, I have never had a decent experience with them, even when trying to buy a $6 book and certainly wouldn't buy anything remotely critical from a third party (which is what they are).

One day this will sink in: Buyer Beware. If youre willing to take the risk, be prepared to accept the fallout.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 3:24 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    buying from ebay? that's not a brilliant ideea!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 3:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    if someone cannot afford the photo editing power of genuine photoshop then should be aware that there are free graphic editors alternatives e.g. http://www.softspecialist.com/GIMP-278/GIMP.htm (and there are also others) and limit to them. They are not as powerful as photoshop but you can use them in a honest way to do the job in photos and graphics.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2008 10:18 AM   in reply to Bob Levine
    dont bothr

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2008 9:32 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    do did you ever get it?

http://fatbikez.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2008 12:27 PM   in reply to Bob Levine
    Guys, that all the same PIRATES story. Dont believe that sh%t!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)