Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Gamma

Sep 12, 2008 6:08 AM

The little program ADOBE GAMMA that appears in the Control Panel of Windows after the installation of Photoshop CS2 has now disappeared from CS3.

For whatever reason it has not been included I do not know, but then I find this little colour management to adjust the screen to match colours has been of great importance to people like me - 4 Colour Offset Output on printing ink. This is because the program that comes with the graphic cards do not favour cmyk colours but more on rgb.

So I appeal to ADOBE - Bring back the adobe gamma in the next upgrade so that I do not have to install both CS2 AND CS3 to utilize Adobe Gamma.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2008 6:09 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    I completely agree. this should probably be in the feature request area.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 6:19 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    You should buy a colorimeter, eyeball calibrators are iffy at best. especially if you are doing 4 color process jobs.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 6:40 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    that's probably the best solution for the pro buko (and the OP sounds like one), but for the rest of us, adobe gamma was just fine. they package the app on a dvd. you'd think they'd be able to dump a little 1 meg utility on there, unless they have a deal with the hardware calibration companies to NOT ship adobe gamma.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 7:15 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs but completely falls apart with LCD screens, which are rapidly replacing everyone's aging CRTs. I'm not sure what the big deal is about keeping older versions of Ps around if that's what you need to do. As far as I'm concerned you don't have to be a professional to warrant spending a couple hundred bucks, but if you are sending files to offset, you're definitely more than just a hobbyist.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 7:19 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    >The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs

I have a lacie iv electron blue 22" that i spent pretty good money on. i don't plan on tossing it anytime soon. for the size of the files, i think they should include them, or at least wrap em in a downloadable package available in the downloads area.

>. I'm not sure what the big deal is about keeping older versions of Ps around if that's what you need to do.

I don't have one, really. i have cs2 and cs3 on my system. but cs4 is coming out soon. how many should i realistically have to keep around? again, think of the size of the file we're talking about!

>but if you are sending files to offset, you're definitely more than just a hobbyist.

agreed.

>As far as I'm concerned you don't have to be a professional to warrant spending a couple hundred bucks

but i just spent a couple hundred on ps itself! and ... and... :)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 7:32 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    If you have paid so much in a good monitor and a professional tool like Photoshop CS3...

Is it so much to pay.. let's say... about 90 USD extra for a Pantone Huey (the cheapest colorimetre)?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 7:58 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    no, gus, but that's not the point. of course i'm going to get no where with this argument, we've been over it so many times before. so i'll bail.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 8:13 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    Dave, you know what I mean: If the tool is so expensive and we have reached a point past the so-called eyeball calibration, shouldn't we (I mean the socalled 'pros' or semipros) promote better practices?

To me asking for Adobe gamma sounds a bit like asking for the return of the corset.

A good feature request could be asking for the inclusion of a cheap colorimetre in the Photoshop price... or of a discount coupon to buy one.

Just a mad idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 8:35 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    np.  i understand. <br /><br />>or of a discount coupon to buy one.  <br /><br />that's an idea, but again, besides the point. it's such a small file why not include it or offer it for download? people obviously want it, because we keep seeing posts on it. unless there's some back room deal we don't know about. <shrug>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 8:47 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    >it's such a small file why not include it or offer it for download?

from post #4

>The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs but completely falls apart with LCD screens

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 8:58 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    that's not 100% either. i'm using it on my laptop and what i've got with adobe gamma is better than what i had uncalibrated.

what-evah!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 9:32 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    better is not accurate.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 9:54 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    never said it was. :P

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2008 12:44 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    Unfortunately, when technology changes, you sometimes have to spend money to keep up with it. While I would not waste my money on the least expensive calibrators available, I do consider the money for an EyeOne well worth it. It's worth it in knowing that you're calibrated and your files are right. It's worth it in the savings you'll see in fewer rounds of prints to get a good one or proofs if that's your choice. Sure, you CAN use the old file on an LCD, but it really doesn't work very well. I hate to say it, but when you're in the imaging game at any level, you sometimes need to spend a few dollars (or a few thousand) in order to do things right.

Let's see...

Radius PressView $2500
    Barco Ref V $4500
    3 Sony Artisans @ $1500
    Praxisoft Profiler $2000
    ProfileMaker $3000
    Spectrolino T $6000
    DTP-92 Calibrator $ 600

In the last ten years just a few of the items purchased in the quest for better and more predictable color. Admittedly I am a professional, but it just illustrates what you can spend if you're so inclined. And notice that the best calibrator of years past - the DTP-92 - was over three times what a modern EyeOne goes for today. A couple hundred really isn't much.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2008 2:44 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    While not disputing the need to calibrate, it is important to realise that many of the posters on this forum are not professionals and to them the outlay for a hardware calibration system may be more than they can easily afford.

I have helped many users to get their monitors profiled with Adobe Gamma and other software solutions and, while it is not an acceptable method for guaranteed colour precision, it will get rid of obvious colour casts.

In many cases that is enough. If their results from the printer are OK for them, they are happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2008 7:17 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    <nodding>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2008 11:48 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    Have a Huey Pro... had CRT monitors, so no problem of sticking the probe on the glass. Have just bought TFT/LCDs and the screen is 'soft'. So how do i do it?

Cheers,

JJ

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2008 12:58 PM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)
    Me no idea, sorry. I am the happy owner of a i1. Never looked back for A.Gamma ;P

You might like reading this page

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to Imwil

Much easier to use is Calibrize.

http://www.calibrize.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to (Peter_Ho)

Back from the dead thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)