Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cracked Glass Effect

Oct 15, 2008 9:02 AM

I am looking for a way to make a convincing cracked glass effect in Photoshop (CS3). Not broken (fragmented) glass, just cracked. It would, ultimately, be a layer over another graphic (a round gauge).

Ive googled many combinations of this and, while there are many tutorials that say they are for cracked glass, most are actually for broken glass, not cracked, and none of them, of either sort, are very convincing.

There are also any number of sites offering brushes; but again, the few that post examples arent very convincing, which leaves me leery of the rest.

I am open to suggestions, or if anyone knows of a tutorial site I may have missed . . .

BTW; I am much more of a technician than an actual artist, so my attempts at painting/drawing something have been, shall we say, less than adequate. But Ill try anything if someone can give me some pointers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

OldBob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2008 9:18 AM   in reply to OldBob1957
    I know what I'd do:

I'd go to the hardware store and buy a dozen panes of glass and set up shop in the garage, cracking and photographing the glass on a dead-white backgroundsay a bed sheet or a hunk of poster board. Can't get any more authentic than that, and in a "time = money" equation it'd probably make more sense than spending hours & hours trying to fake it.

Lighting will be the key to capturing the diffraction along the edges of the cracks.

Remember to wear goggles and gloves!

:)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2008 9:20 AM   in reply to OldBob1957
    Couldn't you find an old, cracked window* somewhere, photograph it, and overlay it on the gauge?

* Disclaimer: I am not advocating the use of cracked Windows. ;)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2008 10:35 AM   in reply to OldBob1957
    www.cgtextures.com

You are looking to apply a natural structure, right? Then why not go with nature itself? Search the site listed above and similar sites. why they may be primarily aimed at 3D artists, they provide enough interesting material to conventional 2D artists as well (like blue skies when you can't shoot one yourself on a rainy day) ;-)

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2008 2:32 PM   in reply to OldBob1957
    Heya, Bob...

Your ultimate solution showed up as a blurb on BoingBoing today:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/10/15/krazy-krax-1954-gag.html

Forgot about suggesting that!

:)

|
    Mark as: