Skip navigation

HDV --> SD DVD Workflow (DebugMode FrameServer, AviSynth)

Jul 2, 2008 10:16 PM

Latest reply: Ann Bens, Dec 2, 2013 12:25 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2008 2:49 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Thanks Dan - your last post gets me over that hump. Although I had read the txt file, it just didn't click with me about passing the different parameters into that one line.

Ed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2008 8:14 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Dan quick question, I have a project that I'm shooting on the HVX at 720p/30fps. I'm editing in PP and will go out to DVD. I guess since it's not interlaced I don't need to deinterlace but I still need to resize and convert for DVD. Would the above steps still work for that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    hello Dan and thanx for the workflow.

I got a cannon xlh1 captured footage to premier under this specs;

Image Size: 1440 x 1080
    Pixel Depth: 1440
    Frame Rate: 29.97
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
    Fields order : upper field first
    Display format : 30 fps drop frame TC

Then exported video to frameserver-->Virtual dub--> save as uncompressed AVI --> imported into encore.

I noticed some (bugs) concerning the border added to the video when viewed on Encore or exported to DVD ; is it normal? or should I remove out from script the line that says;
    AddBorders(8,0,8,0)

Thank you anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 8:16 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    another bug with avisynth file when opened in virtual dub;

ther's no function named (colormatrix)

this happens even i copied the dll's to appropriate directory.. I have to try several times befor it works !!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2008 2:54 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Well, I tried reinstall/install/uninstall the tools used with this superb script, but the problem always remains the same;
    Avisynth refuses to load the dll's I put on it's plug in directory..
    Then I decided to make a system restore and re-install the tools pack provided; it works !
    S5trange but this is how I got ride of the problems with Avisynth/VirtualDub

I changed the folowing on the script;

i Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
    i #AddBorders(8,0,8,0)

thank you for support Dan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2008 6:33 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Dan
    Just a quick question in relation to Matrox.

I have used your excellent script but after reading your message about Matrox I want to try this. I presume the workflow would be:-
    Export the timeline as a Matrox HD Avi
    Alter the .avs script to reference the Matrox HD Avi file
    Open Virtualdub and open the .avs file
    File save as uncompressed Avi file
    Import the Avi file in Encore and burn the DVD

Do I need to change the YUV / RGB setting in the script?

If I have misunderstood anything or missed anything out I would be grateful for your input.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2008 11:59 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Dan

I'm using the advanced script (hd2sd)

(using Matrox, edited footage in 1440*1080i and want to out put good quality PAL widescreen DVD)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2008 1:52 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Thanks for that Dan. I'll try these out tonight and let you know how I got on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 12:20 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    When using Adobe Encore as the final SD encoder for the rendred avi, it doesn't recognize that the footage is 16:9 (HD Anamorphic 1080 1.333) strange?
    does this happens to you too, or I missed something?

PS : when I play the rendred file on WM player, it appears as a 16:9 footage but not after making a DVD using Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 12:56 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    I think the Adobe Encore is still away from it's final shape (like the successful Adobe softs; PS, AI..) why?;

Before asking the aspect ratio question here, I tried interpreting footage as you said but when i import it to a 16:9 timeline, this timeline becomes 4:3 and the radio buttons (that allow you to switch timeline's aspect ration) are grayed out and 4:3 is selected by default.
    I tried several times changing the aspect ratio by interpreting footage and didn't work, then I decided to delete this Encore project and create a new one , then, first import the rendred avi (before creating any timeline) then interpret the avi as 16:9 (1.333) and finally create a timeline with aspect ratio set to 16:9 .. and it WORKS !!!!

Strange, strange .. Encore needs more development before becoming a functional product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 4:56 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    One other question guys didn't talk about is rendring for PAL SD;
    I know that I have to set update
    Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
    on the script so as it meets with pal standards, but what about the line;
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    PAL is progressive so we don't need lower/upper-field first output?
    should I leave it or comment it out
    # SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    and what is general HDV --> SD PAL recommendations

PS;
    I checked the page (a guide for this workflow) and didn't show up, is everything okay?

Thank you DAN

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 5:14 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    > PAL is progressive so we don't need lower/upper-field first output?

Incorrect. PAL is interlaced. I don't know any PAL camera that is native progressive and anyway they all record to 50i format on tape.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2008 5:29 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Congratulations to Dan for your Workflow.
    I have a HV30 Canon (PAL) and last weekend I recorded a lot during a 3 days trek in the Pirineos Mountains (Spain). Yesterday I followed the wokflow and the result was fantastic. Thanks Dan.

I would like you to know why do you recomend resizing to 704x576 for PAL SD video edition.

In my opinion, I could understand the resizing from 1440x1080 to 704x480 for NTSC video edition, because the ratio
    "Vertical Transformation" / "Horizontal Transformation" is equal to 1.1, good for good transformation. (the ratio is not so good if you were transforming to 720x480 (1.125).

But, when you are resizing from 1440x1080 to 704x576 as you propose for PAL SD edition, the ratio is equal to 0,91666666. If the resizing is to 720x576 the transformation ratio is 0,9375, which is better and there is no proportional transformation in the SD image (16:9).

Is there any reason to choose 704x576 for PAL edition instead of 720x576, when you are having worse transformation ratio and you are loosing the original proportion (16:9)?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2008 2:07 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Hi,

I'm quite new at HDV.
    Following the HDV to SD DVD workflow, I get 3:4 aspect ratio instead of 16 : 9.

Below please find the copy of export settings summary from Export Movie window:

"Export
    Video and audio
    Entire Sequence

Filetype
    DebugMode FrameServer

Video Settings
    Compressor:
    Frame size: 1440h 1080v (1,333)
    Frame rate: 25,00 frames/second
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
    Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Settings
    Compressor: Uncompressed
    Sample rate: 48000 samples/second
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample type: 16-bit"

What did I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2008 10:35 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Hi Dan,

Yes, the aspect ratio issue is solved. I corrected the premiere.avs for upper field, as follows:

"AviSource("d:/capture/canon/signpost.avi")
    ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601", clamp=false)
    ConvertToRGB32()
    SmoothDeinterlace(tff=true,doublerate=true,lacethresh=24,staticthresh= 35,staticavg=50,edgethresh=35,blend=false,showlace=false)
    Trim(1,0)

Lanczos4Resize(720,576)
    AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
    ConvertToYUY2()

AssumeTFF().SeparateFields()

SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    Limiter(16, 235, 16, 240)"

but in the Export Movie window the summary shows always lower field, and, of course, the movie jitters on the TV.
    I changed several times between 4,0,3 and 4,1,2, but the summary did not changed!

Could you help?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2008 11:08 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Dan,

Ive used your workflow myself and as much as Id like to think this can be done natively in Adobe; it just cant. Your workflow is a very useful workaround for this shortcoming from adobe.

I suggest you change one thing in the ppro export settings. uncheck "Optimize stills". The feature has been known to cause problems with exports played outside Pr. Ive seen wacky timing problems (stills played back incorrect length) when this feature is checked under certain conditions.

Great job on this script and your support of the adobe community. There is not a single HD job I shoot where SD DVDs are not also required as a deliverable. I was working around by shooting progressive, but your workflow provides a better solution. Hopefully adobe is paying attention that their Pr user forum is filling up with 3rd party workarounds to their shortcomings.

Thank You,

Curt Wrigley

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2008 1:23 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Thanks Dan,

Works perfectly!

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2008 10:17 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Dan, thank you for this information it is very useful. I am in the middle of my first HDV/SD project about a 45 min wedding and the video looks great coming out of Virtual Dub 16:9 and all but when it is imported into Encore it becomes 4:3. Project settings in Encore are 16:9. I used your basic script and like I said I pulled the saved file back into Virtual Dub and it is still 16:9. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2008 11:45 AM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2008 2:55 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    I am having another issue; I brought the uncompressed AVI into Encore I saved from VirtualDub (43min 82GB) I did use upper field first because I thought I was supposed to. Encore acts like it is transcoding, goes through the video then audio but then never finishes. All day it just says transcoding now. I reset encoding perameters in Encore to Upper Field First and I am trying again. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2008 12:22 PM   in reply to Dan Isaacs
    Hi Dan,

I tried your method after getting undesirable results export my HDV timeline from Premiere Pro to a DVD compatible Mpeg2 directly from Premier Pro, importing into Encore and burning without any transcoding in Encore.

I had a couple of issues. The first was that it changed my 16:9 image into a 4:3 image.

Once I got to your step of going out from VirtualDub I went up to File-->Save as AVI and brought this uncompressed AVI file into Encore, which automatically transcoded it from there. When I checked, that AVI file was 4:3, so it's being converted to 4:3 by VirtualDub. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

The other issue, and maybe this is just how it is, was that my footage already looked really good when viewed on our 4:3 CRT Triniton monitor, or any 4:3 CRT TV for that matter. The biggest problem is when played back on an HDTV. You see the interlacing lines and the quality just drops significantly. If you go to the store and purchase a DVD movie it will look very good on either source.

Is there a way to get that same consistent quality across both playback platforms?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)