AME CS4.0.2 is now available as an updater from Help>Updates...This update fixes the following QuickTime bugs:
- Quicktime output with Photo JPEG codec is very poor in quality
- Quicktime output with Animation codec is of poor quality
- Quicktime output with H.264 codec is of poor quality
- Quicktime output with QT None codec is very poor in quality
- AME crashes when exporting to QT H.264 with QT source when the Video is shorter than the Audio
- Export to AME Quicktime H264 hangs if work area includes any non-video.
Note: The default bit depth for QT Animation, QT None is set at 8 bit which needs to be changed to 24 bit or 32 bit (for Alpha) to get better quality. This setting can be saved as a AME preset for further use.
This bug is planned to be fixed in a future update for Premiere.
Standalone updates don't usually show up on the website for download for a couple of days to about two weeks following those pushed out via the Updater. Lately, they've been on the shorter side, though.
The one thing that I was hoping for in this release was the ability to 'stretch to fit' an output. I deal with a lot of anamorphic material and sometimes have a 720x480 source that I need to make 16x9. Also, sometimes, I need to crop a few pixels from the sides, but still want my output as a 4x3. Whenever I do this in AME 4, I get black bars on the sides, or top and bottom. All other versions of Flash Video Encoder allowed a stretch to fit by default, but for some reason they dropped in in AME 4. Are there any plans to re-add a stretch option?!?
Export a sample clip as mpeg2-DVD. Then export it again to the same directory and the same name. When it asks you to overwrite it go ahead and say yes. When it opens the AME hit the start button and see if it will encode again. In the version I have it will not encode. It gives me an error in the dialog box.
I had a second so I did this test for you here's what it does for me:
I exported a sample 30 sec. clip with the default MPEG2-DVD settings then exported again and while in PP I selected the file name link, and re-selected the file I had just save so that I would be prompted with the replace dialog. I was, hit ok, and it opened AME. I hit start and it encoded fine the weird thing is, it didn't replace the file, it added an _1 to the end of it.
OK, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I did it again and got the same result.
SO, next, I exported the same clip but this time I waited until AME opened and then from within AME I selected the file name link and selected the same file name and again was prompted to replace file. I hit encode and it did the same thing but of course, it was a _2 it added this time.
I guess it's better then a crash!
>AME I selected the file name link and selected the same file name and again was prompted to replace file. I hit encode and it did the same thing but of course, it was a _2 it added this time.
I guess it's better then a crash!
Oops! I forgot to mention in the AME Preferences you need to un-check of the save incremental files...that way it will not add the number to it. Sorry!
Thanks a lot for trying Ishawn!! If you get a chance can you try it after changing the preferences?
lshawn - this is actually a preference settings in AME. Launch the preferences via menu "Edit --> Preferences" and deselect the "Increment output file name if file with same name exists" checkbox, if you do want the files to be replaced.
tlc51369 - what is the error msg you see. I believe i may know what the issue is. Since you are making MPEG2-DVD, the final output is actually unmuxed files (m2v & wav file). When you try and repeat this and ask for the existing file name to be replaced, the question asked to you is only for the m2v file. The error msg u would see is for the audio file i assume. You could place the new output file at a different location to bypass this issue.
Have enough people updated to AME 4.0.2 without issue to feel comfortable with the upgrade? I'd love to know if they've fixed the MJPEG, 30-second before stopping limit, but I have a project due soon and can't risk finding out if there's some new problem in the uncompressed output workflow I'm presently using.
OK, changed that pref. setting and re-rendered with your original instruction set.
After removing the increment save, I tried it both ways again ( first setting the name in PP and then in AME both times making sure to trigger the replace dialoged ) and in both cases it errored out.
The error message is exactly as described above:
You do not have permission to create or delete the output file
And at the very bottom of the error message it states that my .wav file already exists and cannot be over written. So, as Saran stated, it is actually is the audio file that is causing the problem.
I guess for now, youll have to continue saving in a different directory, as stated above, if you want to keep the file name the same.