Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working

Mar 9, 2009 3:58 PM

Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive, 250GB portable drive and 250GB external drive

Im running Premiere Pro CS4 on a 64-bit Vista operating system. I have CS3 and CS4 installed, and have been running both successfully for about six months.

Ive exported to Adobe Media Encoder dozens and dozens of times without a problem. Out of the blue, I clicked OK on the Export Settings menu and got a message Adobe Media Encoder CS4 has stopped working. This has happened every time Ive tried to export, even after re-booting, uninstalling and re-installing, etc. Ive gone through the steps shown such as deleting preference files, etc. and every time, I get the same error message.

Im in the middle of finishing up a feature film edited on CS3 and CS4 and really need to encode the video so I can finish up in Encore.

Im editing in an NTSC widescreen session using .avi clips captured from a Sony PD 150. As stated, everything has worked fine up until now.

Thanks for your help.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2009 4:11 PM   in reply to JaySchay2
    Have you updated to the 4.02 version of AME?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2009 3:31 PM   in reply to JaySchay2
    Maybe it wants a raise.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2009 2:39 AM   in reply to JaySchay2
    To anyone with the problem, that AME refuses working:

Uncheck the "include XMP-Metadata to source" in the export settings before you try any de- and re-installation (it's at the right hand side besides the video-, audio-settings - a small list icon)

....for the last two month I wasted my time trying out all the suggestions from the Adobe-Support.....nothing worked.....

Now - by unchecking as said above - everything works fine!!!

Hope it works for you guys and that they'll fix this issue soon....

Sorry for my bad English....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2009 3:27 PM   in reply to JaySchay2
    I found changing to new administrator and logging on again fixed this problem

Vince

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2009 3:34 PM   in reply to JaySchay2
    AME Crashes: Now this may sound weird but try running MS process explorer before you start to encode (its a Microsoft alternative to task manager processes) Make sure windows sidebar is also closed (vista crap)or the process killed - and make sure there are no itunes helper processes running (disable them from startup) I used to have lots of probs with Media encoder crashing out / stopping / stalling and for some reason the above few combined tips really helped. Not so sure it will help if it wont even start! but maybe worth a try.

If AME wont even start you could first delete any AME references in the windows prefetch folder (or delete the entire contents of the prefetch folder for that matter - but not the folder itself)- Restart and try again

I also restart my PC before I attempt any longish AME excercises. I have had crashes / BSODs and spent ages trying to track down the culprit clip, still etc with crash after crash at the same point - and then the above process explorer stuff running in the sys tray saw AME sail through to the end.

Talking of annoying crashes, albeit slightly off topic, - I also never let PP go out to Encore and burn to disk in one hit - I always burn to a folder first (especially if bluray) and then burn disk with ImgBurn or similar freebie. Learnt that after a painful day of lock ups and crashes between PP and Encore. Could of course be my setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 5:32 AM   in reply to JaySchay2
    Sorry - I didn't get that you actually got the message "Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working"...in my case, AME just stopped working and didn't do anything - it just stopped on "loading project" and froze.

In my case, I tried about anything.
    I Reinstalled (unisntalled with Cleanscript) the whole Suite a couple of times, even set up a complete new OS and didn't install any 3rd party codecs, installed any actual graphix- and audio-drivers,tried any suggestion from Adobe Support and nothing worked.....

Since I found out about this XMP-Metadata thing, I had no problems at all rendering any files, any format, any size....

Sorry, that this doesn't work for you...but maybe it's helpful to others having trouble with AME....In my case, I could have saved loads of time and nerves spending on the search for solutions...

Well - anyway - good luck! Hope you'll get your problems fixed soon !

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 6:46 AM   in reply to JaySchay2
    Here's my error message, I tried unchecking box didn't worked (my bug is same as Kai). I'm trying to export a WAV on an audio only timeline.

- Source File: C:\Users\POODLE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Totem & Taboo - OMF export_6.prproj
    - Output File: Y:\Totem & Taboo - scènes 1 à 121.wav
    - Preset Used: Windows Waveform 48kHz 16-bit
    - Video:
    - Audio:
    - Bitrate:
    - Encoding Time: 01:07:04
    13/03/2009 10:40:46 AM : Encoding Failed
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
    Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

All my files are online and havenb't been moved or anything, just transfered from PP3 to PP4.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 7:02 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

See Error:Encoding Failed Could not read from the source

Cheers
    Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
    - Over 350 frequently answered questions
    - Over 300 free tutorials
    - Maintained by editors like you
    Forum FAQ

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to JaySchay2
    Ok this says my issue is not resolved yet and that I'm screwed for the moment.

Any work around? Export into another program I could do?

Maybe bring it back in PP3 can I bring a PP4 project into PP3 ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

The knowledgebase article in the link I provided gives you two work arounds. I'm not sure how you missed that.

Cheers
    Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
    - Over 350 frequently answered questions
    - Over 300 free tutorials
    - Maintained by editors like you
    Forum FAQ

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 1:06 PM   in reply to JaySchay2
    >The reply has disappeared

That's been happening to mine too, lately.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 10:04 AM   in reply to JaySchay2
    I checked too quickly and didn't saw link to solutions...

Thank I'll try first one and post result.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

Maybe you already found a solution...

I'm on Windows 7 RC1 but had the same problem, deleting the files in c:\users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\ solved the problem for me.

Make sure to make a backup before. But the files were recreated when I started Encoder again and now everything works as it should.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2009 10:21 PM   in reply to JaySchay2

Yes it happens to me too. I deleted the file "Watch Folder Info.xml" in this folder and it works again

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 2:35 PM   in reply to Takyc

Out of nowhere the AME stopped working. I'm not a computer guy so, to me, many of the requests -by forum regulars- for every little detail about the computer I have, etc, seemed daunting to say the least. Fortunately, I saw the suggested fix by Takyc. When I found that folder I simply renamed it -from 4.0 to F 4.0- and kept the window opened in case it wasn't the answer. I went back to AME, and this time it worked as it always had in the past.

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 2:37 PM   in reply to Joseph_Morabito

That method is affectionately known as "trashing your preferences". 

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 1:30 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0 delete this folder and it works!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:28 PM   in reply to JaySchay2

Jay

Did you ever get a solution to your problem with media encoder stopping? The same exact thing happened to me

today. I have encoded other files sucessfully and all of a sudden I was trying to export a new project and I get this media

encoder has stopped working and I'm thinking "what the f........" Whats going on here? I unchecked the metadata as one respondant suggested. I wonder if it is compactibility problems with Windows 7? You have any updates or advise on how you can correct. Or were you able to?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:31 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff

Do you have any suggestions on this "media encoder stopped" ? Do you think it is Windows 7 compatibility?

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this product....this happens??

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to JaySchay2

Yes, go to the User profile, my documents and delete all references to Adobe Media Encoder, it should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:41 PM   in reply to ibnafzal12

Well I have no such file on my computer...or if I do I can't find it. In the sequence of User/myname/....there is no appdata

file. There is an appdata within the user file, but no such roaming sub file? I'm working in Windows 7. Does that have compatibility issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:44 PM   in reply to ibnafzal12

So completely delete the adobe encoder file

within my documents?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:59 PM   in reply to earlaxelrod

Well I deleted the file and lost all my current folders!!!! Now I guess I have to start from scatch

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 6:03 PM   in reply to earlaxelrod

Check the recycle bin and Restore the folder... remember to Save your Sequence Files Somewhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to ibnafzal12

Well Friend

Too late for that but fortunately didn't lose but 2 projects. But do you think any of this is related to Windows 7 incompatibility? This just randomly happened and I haven't been able

to run media encoder since?? Unfortunately I'm kinda a newby to this specific software, so I'm still learning. Should have stuck with earlier versions, but my camera is AVCHK format and few programs are compatible.  But anyway, thank you for your advise.

Earl

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 2:14 PM   in reply to earlaxelrod

It is perfectly compatibility with windows 7 .... Just sometimes it happens to corrupt the director and needs a reset.

-Anas

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2010 6:47 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

I am running Windows 7 x64 and the problem I have is directly related to Quicktime.

Adobe Media Encoder and Premiere Pro will not even launch if I have Quicktime installed (any version including the latest 7.6).

Crashes when trying to load the ExportQuicktime and when the splash screen gets to "Load Audio Only"

I think this has to do with updating to the latest Quicktime since it was working fine before.

If I uninstall Quicktime I can run them just fine.

Absolutely sucks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to JaySchay2

same thing: AME crashes before opening (win764bit) out of the sudden (worked well for a few months)

reinstall CS4:                               no effect

reinstall CS4 with cleanupscript:    no effect

deinstall quicktime,mediaplayer     no effect

looking for the folder  in users/bla   no effect

everything else                             NO EFFECT!!!

SOLUTION:  there was no second user. made one. within this account the AME worked without a problem. back to my original profil I could delete/rename the now-existing AME encoder within the user-profile.

back to work after a few wasted days - hope I could save some guys some time

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 12:40 AM   in reply to Horst Günther

Hello!

I would like to know do i need to make new user if I have in folder USERS folders: locked BB, DEFAULT, locked folder PUBLIC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to Horst Günther

Hello do you know why you need second account, I don't understand.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Takyc

I was having the same problem and this worked PERFECTLY!  Thanks for the fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to JaySchay2

AME will render my videos, but I get the 'not working' error message when I close it after rendering.

Anyone else have that issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to JaySchay2

I had an interesting situation: I have CS5.5 installed on a Windows XP box for now until my new machine gets here.  As a result, I'm running CS4 for Premiere Pro and AE.  I got a set of HD (720p) videos ready to encode for presentations and spent a while tweaking just the right preset to have them play from USB drives plugged into HDTVs on presentation stands.  I queued them up to encode overnight with my new H.264 preset and went home.  I came back and AME had stalled.  Since then I have tried EVERYTHING to get it to churn through these videos! I tried, among other things:

- New project

- New timelines

- New timeline presets/settings/render settings

- Reinstall software (multiple times)

- Turn off exporting XMP

- Trashing whatever preferences I could find
    - Rendering sequences first, not rendering

I was going nuts and then I found the mention of people having problems with sequences that start with a frame of Black Video.  I made a clip of 720p black and tried that - still didn't get far into the video before stalling.  Then I had an epiphany.  Since my sequences are almost ALL stills, I ran to AE and made a ten minute video 1x1px with blank alpha channel.  I dropped it into my sequences and voila'!  Perfect. Encoding like always.

I can't wait to get my new machine, which is being ordered by our IT staff this week.  I have CS5.5 running at home and have yet to experience a single issue.  I was to the point of having to take these videos home to encode them, just so I could get them done on time.

The odd thing is: this all worked for me before.  I don't know what changed to suddenly make it quit working.  I may have to dig back and make sure I deleted all the preferences properly.

I hope this helps anyone who's tried everything else...

Cf

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)