Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz
4 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive, 250GB portable drive and 250GB external drive

Im running Premiere Pro CS4 on a 64-bit Vista operating system. I have CS3 and CS4 installed, and have been running both successfully for about six months.

Ive exported to Adobe Media Encoder dozens and dozens of times without a problem. Out of the blue, I clicked OK on the Export Settings menu and got a message Adobe Media Encoder CS4 has stopped working. This has happened every time Ive tried to export, even after re-booting, uninstalling and re-installing, etc. Ive gone through the steps shown such as deleting preference files, etc. and every time, I get the same error message.

Im in the middle of finishing up a feature film edited on CS3 and CS4 and really need to encode the video so I can finish up in Encore.

Im editing in an NTSC widescreen session using .avi clips captured from a Sony PD 150. As stated, everything has worked fine up until now.

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated to the 4.02 version of AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the update site yesterday and downloaded everything available. But since AME won't start, I can't tell which version I'm using. I'll; check again tonight, but am more curious as to what caused it to suddenly not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded/installed 4.02 AME, restarted my computer, and am still having the same problem "AME CS4.02 has stopped working"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded and install AME 4.02. Re-started computer, started Premiere Pro, tried to export. Still nothing. Same error as before "Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it wants a raise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone with the problem, that AME refuses working:

Uncheck the "include XMP-Metadata to source" in the export settings before you try any de- and re-installation (it's at the right hand side besides the video-, audio-settings - a small list icon)

....for the last two month I wasted my time trying out all the suggestions from the Adobe-Support.....nothing worked.....

Now - by unchecking as said above - everything works fine!!!

Hope it works for you guys and that they'll fix this issue soon....

Sorry for my bad English....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you uncheck the box (which I have to admit I've never noticed), there should be no need to uninstall, etc., correct? I'll try this tonight and hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the check box you're talking about, but unchecking it doesn't solve my problem. Still says, "Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working" about three seconds after I open it, and before it starts doing eny encoding.

Rats.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found changing to new administrator and logging on again fixed this problem

Vince

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AME Crashes: Now this may sound weird but try running MS process explorer before you start to encode (its a Microsoft alternative to task manager processes) Make sure windows sidebar is also closed (vista crap)or the process killed - and make sure there are no itunes helper processes running (disable them from startup) I used to have lots of probs with Media encoder crashing out / stopping / stalling and for some reason the above few combined tips really helped. Not so sure it will help if it wont even start! but maybe worth a try.

If AME wont even start you could first delete any AME references in the windows prefetch folder (or delete the entire contents of the prefetch folder for that matter - but not the folder itself)- Restart and try again

I also restart my PC before I attempt any longish AME excercises. I have had crashes / BSODs and spent ages trying to track down the culprit clip, still etc with crash after crash at the same point - and then the above process explorer stuff running in the sys tray saw AME sail through to the end.

Talking of annoying crashes, albeit slightly off topic, - I also never let PP go out to Encore and burn to disk in one hit - I always burn to a folder first (especially if bluray) and then burn disk with ImgBurn or similar freebie. Learnt that after a painful day of lock ups and crashes between PP and Encore. Could of course be my setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I didn't get that you actually got the message "Adobe Media Encoder has stopped working"...in my case, AME just stopped working and didn't do anything - it just stopped on "loading project" and froze.

In my case, I tried about anything.
I Reinstalled (unisntalled with Cleanscript) the whole Suite a couple of times, even set up a complete new OS and didn't install any 3rd party codecs, installed any actual graphix- and audio-drivers,tried any suggestion from Adobe Support and nothing worked.....

Since I found out about this XMP-Metadata thing, I had no problems at all rendering any files, any format, any size....

Sorry, that this doesn't work for you...but maybe it's helpful to others having trouble with AME....In my case, I could have saved loads of time and nerves spending on the search for solutions...

Well - anyway - good luck! Hope you'll get your problems fixed soon !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply has disappeared, but someone suggested creating, and signing in under, a new administrator. I did this last night, and it solved the problem, at least for now. I didn't have time to actually encode anything, but I'm hopeful that this takes care of it.

I have no idea why it would, but am thankful for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my error message, I tried unchecking box didn't worked (my bug is same as Kai). I'm trying to export a WAV on an audio only timeline.

- Source File: C:\Users\POODLE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Totem & Taboo - OMF export_6.prproj
- Output File: Y:\Totem & Taboo - scènes 1 à 121.wav
- Preset Used: Windows Waveform 48kHz 16-bit
- Video:
- Audio:
- Bitrate:
- Encoding Time: 01:07:04
13/03/2009 10:40:46 AM : Encoding Failed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All my files are online and havenb't been moved or anything, just transfered from PP3 to PP4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Error:Encoding Failed Could not read from the source

Cheers
Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
- Over 350 frequently answered questions
- Over 300 free tutorials
- Maintained by editors like you
Forum FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this says my issue is not resolved yet and that I'm screwed for the moment.

Any work around? Export into another program I could do?

Maybe bring it back in PP3 can I bring a PP4 project into PP3 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The knowledgebase article in the link I provided gives you two work arounds. I'm not sure how you missed that.

Cheers
Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
- Over 350 frequently answered questions
- Over 300 free tutorials
- Maintained by editors like you
Forum FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The reply has disappeared

That's been happening to mine too, lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked too quickly and didn't saw link to solutions...

Thank I'll try first one and post result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you already found a solution...

I'm on Windows 7 RC1 but had the same problem, deleting the files in c:\users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\ solved the problem for me.

Make sure to make a backup before. But the files were recreated when I started Encoder again and now everything works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it happens to me too. I deleted the file "Watch Folder Info.xml" in this folder and it works again

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of nowhere the AME stopped working. I'm not a computer guy so, to me, many of the requests -by forum regulars- for every little detail about the computer I have, etc, seemed daunting to say the least. Fortunately, I saw the suggested fix by Takyc. When I found that folder I simply renamed it -from 4.0 to F 4.0- and kept the window opened in case it wasn't the answer. I went back to AME, and this time it worked as it always had in the past.

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That method is affectionately known as "trashing your preferences".

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2010 Mar 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

Do you have any suggestions on this "media encoder stopped" ? Do you think it is Windows 7 compatibility?

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this product....this happens??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem and this worked PERFECTLY!  Thanks for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines