Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Download file for Palm/Mac reader is damaged

Jun 22, 2008 1:23 AM

First of all, on the download page for the Reader for Palm OS Mac (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_mobile.html#palmMac) , it says the file is 8.7 MB, but when the file is downloading, it says 9.4 MB, which turns out to be the actual size of the downloaded file.

Then, when I try to mount the DMG file, I get a warning that "The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system. Are you sure you want to open this disk image?" Could this be related to the disparity between stated and actual sizes of the file?

I tried downloading it several times with the same result. After a little research, I found an article on Apple's website discussing options for dealing with this particular message (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305111-en).

Mainly, it suggested converting the disk image to read/write, mounting it, and then attempting to repair it with Disk Utility. I tried this, but Disk Utility was unable to repair the mounted image. Disk Utility does report that the volume needs repair ("Volume Header needs minor repair), but on both verification and repair, it reports a "failure on exit" and fails to complete either task.

Anyone else out there have this problem, or even better, a solution?

All that said, and because I really do want to be able to read PDF files on my TT3, I went ahead and just copied the files off of the mounted disk image and got rid of the image.

The Mac desktop application that converts untagged PDF files and then transfers tagged PDF files to the Palm device seems to work just fine, and even attempt to optimize preference settings automatically by querying your device during a hot sync for display depth and screen size. The Palm OS app seems to work quite well, too.

Between them, I transferred a fairly difficult document containing lots of graphs and charts, special mathematical and chemical symbols, and even equations. And it worked VERY well, although the equations were a little difficult to read on my TT3 sometimes.

The graphs and other figures in the document were all quite readable, even though I had preferences on the desktop app set to "shrink images to screen width." It got my TT3's screen dimensions at 320x320, and there was no way I could find to get the system to take advantage of the TT3's extended screen size of 320 x 480. (if anyone has any ideas about that, I'd like to know -- I'm thinking of converting PDF to some other graphics format (using Graphic Converter's batch converter) and using a viewer for that format that can use the landscape mode to display a scrolling page display that's 480 pixels wide).

A PIECE OF MY MIND TO ADOBE:
After initially posting this, I noticed that this same problem is mentioned in an archived topic that began on May 16, 2007 and ended on August 14, 2007, so it has apparently been a problem for more than a year. However, after noting that the archived topics are "read only," I decided to go ahead and post this to keep the issue active in the hopes that someone at Adobe who might have a smidgen of concern for the users of their products might take care of it.

Adobe OWES it to its users (and its own reputation as a quality-conscious company) to correct this problem. A significant percentage of the users of the Adobe Reader are not as knowledgeable about the risks they would be taking with disregarding the warning and mounting the image anyway, or as sure of their ability to repair any system damage and recover any lost data, should damage occur. I've been using and fixing Macs since 1984, and the message scared ME a little, until I was able to find a little information about it. Could Adobe's fix be something as simple as generating and posting a new DMG file, that's NOT damaged?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2008 11:22 AM   in reply to (Spencer_Thomason)
    I also recently tried to download Adobe Reader to my Macintosh to use on my Palm TX and got the message "The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system." This is extremely frustrating, and disappointing that the Adobe people don't seem concerned enough to fix the problem. I am not a techie, so I dare not continue.
    If anybody has a solution and could explain it slowly to somebody who doesn't understand the computer world very well, I would be grateful.

Thanks,
    Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2008 4:40 AM   in reply to (Spencer_Thomason)
    Hi,
    Sorry to butt in here, but I need help unsubsribing entirely from these Adobe discussiion groups, and the directions, as I try to follow them, for unsubscribing don't make any sense and just lead me around in circles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rafael rm1008@sbcglobal.net.

Please use this address because I'm getting so many Adobe emails I won't know where to look for an answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2008 7:36 AM   in reply to (Spencer_Thomason)
    I have the same promble with Rafael too. Could you please answer me too.

I love Canon D20

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2009 2:47 AM   in reply to (Spencer_Thomason)
    Would you be so kindly to repair the damaged image "Adobe Reader for Palm Os Mac"?

I think it must be reparable as soon as possible!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)