Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader 2.0 unsuccessful installation - bug

Nov 1, 2007 6:26 AM

Yesterday I discovered weird bug in installation of Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0. Installation failed with message "installation was unsuccessful". After long investigation I found, that file "Adobe Reader User Guide.pdf" exists in "My Documents" folder (it was copied by ActiveSync synchronization). When I removed it, installation was successful. I hope it will help somebody.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2007 7:25 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    I downloaded Adobe Reader to my Verizon Pocket PC (Operating System Windows 5.1.195) and after successful file transfer got the following error message:

"AdbeRdr 20_ppc_enu is not a valid pocket pc application"

Erased everything and tried the whole process again with same result. There is no Adobe Reader User Guide in "My Documents" and cannot find such elsewhere.

Anyone have an idea? Right now I am unable to open and read any pdf file that is sent via email on Verizon pocket pc.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 4:20 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    I have a sidekick I D and cannot get access to pdf . Will not allow download reader or flashplayer. Can someone help? Thanks as I can't get any help at all from team mobile

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 9:32 PM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Thanks a lot. I spent the last two hours trying to install this, and couldn't understand why the hell it kept failing. That's so stupid, to fail the installation, just because one file is already there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 9:32 PM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Harold, You got that message because as I understood you tried to run the
    AdbeRdr 20_ppc_enu.exe file on your pocket pc. You can't do that. AdbeRdr 20_ppc_enu.exe is a regular windows application, you need to run it on your windows machine and it will install Adobe Reader on your Pocket PC through Active Sync.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2008 1:56 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Try this one, is work for me, install adobe reader without sync your pda, then look at program files/microsoft activesync/adobe in your pc, and copy that 2 file to your memory card (remember copy all file, arceARMen_usr.PPC_2577.cab and device configuration setting) then run the cab file from your pda, and you can install at your phone memory or your memory card like mine, and walla, it's work

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2008 3:45 PM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Thanks for posting this tip. I've been trying for ages to get it installed. What a stupid bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2008 3:46 PM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Jozef,

Thanks for the helpful post.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2008 9:28 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Maybe this is related:
    RE: Samsung SPH-i700 P_PC running Windows Mobile 2003

Adobe for Pocket PC 2.0 won't install; error is: 1.0 is present and must first be removed.

But 1.0 is not present, never was present. Therefore can't be removed.

All this is after a hard reset, when I'm trying to rebuild the system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2008 1:52 PM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    On second thought, I checked the registry entries under software (in my desktop). Should not have been surprised to find:

Adobe Acrobat Reader for PocketPC 1.0

I deleted several similar entries.

Also deleted:

Adobe Reader for PocketPC 2.0 (notice the differences in name)
    referring to the attempted installation.

Then the installation of 2.0 would proceed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 1:26 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    hello,
    I had the same issue with installation of the Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0. Installation failed with message "installation was unsuccessful" after updating firmware in my HTC Diamond.

* deleted the file "Adobe Reader User Guide.pdf" exists in "My Documents" folder (it was copied by ActiveSync synchronization)
    * deleted the folder "Adobe" under "Program Files" in the internal storage of the HTC Diamond where the previous installation was done.
    * Re-iniate the installation

Installation was successful.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 11:46 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    I was able to install successfully on Motorola Q by simply renaming the pdf file, without having to delete it.

--
    Jerry

[sig deleted]

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2008 6:01 AM   in reply to (Jozef_Hovan)
    Install the ENGLISH VERSION - other languages give problems!

I could not install the German version of the Adobe Reader for Pocket PC. After many hours of try and error, I tried to install THE ENGLISH VERSION and now it works! I hope this information will help other people.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2010 6:45 PM   in reply to (averla)

On second thought, I checked the registry entries under software (in my desktop). Should not have been surprised to find:

Adobe Acrobat Reader for PocketPC 1.0

I deleted several similar entries.

Thanks for the tip. I finally got Reader 2.0 working but I found I also needed to delete similar registry entries on my Pocket PC as well as on my desktop machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 1:25 AM   in reply to (Harold_Barnes)

Hi. I have a Samsung SGH-i600 with Windows Mobile 5.0, and I have been trying to install Adobe Reader (Pocket PC) for Windows Mobile, which I downloaded from cnet.com. I've tried both host computer and mobile device installation, and every time I get an error that says the installation device is not intended for the device.

Does anybody have any advice for me?

Thank you.

Jay

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)