Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Reader for Pocket PC 2 and Win Mobile 5?

Nov 27, 2007 9:28 PM

I have a UTStarCom using Windows Mobile 5. Is the Pocket PC version 2 of the Acrobat Reader compatible with it? I have downloaded the FAQ but it only says that v2 is compatible with Pocket PC 2002 and 2003. I don't actually know which of these I have, only that it uses Windows mobile 5.

I have also downloaded the User's Guide but it didn't tell you how to install it. Can someone point me to the information?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2007 3:17 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    if the device is win mobile with a stylus, the only download for pocketpc's will load and work... it will give you a "cya" statement during the install that you may have problems which you can ignore.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 2:50 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I have HP iPAQ 6915 running Windows Mobile 5. Please, please can anyone tell me in simple language which Acrobat Reader I should download.

Is My HP iPAQ 6915 a pocketpc? No where is there any mention of Windows Mobile 5. I find the whole thing just so confusing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2007 10:07 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I too have an HP 6910 with windows CE 5.1 (whatever that is) and I cant find which version of Adobe reader to download, if anyone can help I will be most grateful

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2007 11:00 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html

Any for pocketpc should work... I personally recommend the older versions (smaller, fewer problems) at

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/pocketpc/acrob atreader-ppc2002.exe

The primary difference between version 1 and version 2 is that version 2 _may_ allow you to read adobe ebooks where version 1 does not support encryped ebooks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2007 5:13 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Beverely, I appreciate your response and I have loaded the file onto my IPAQ and when I go too pen a PDF file it just tells me there is no application associated with the particular file I am trying to open.

When I try and open the acrobatreader -ppc2002 it tells me it is not a valid pocket PC application.
    Obviously all I want to do is read PDF files.

I copied to program to my storage card and even transfered it to the program folder on the Pocket PC.all without success

Again thanks for your time

Nick

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 9:05 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    >>> not a valid pocket PC application <<

The standard installation procedure for all pocketpc "executable" applications is to run them on your "Sync PC" then activesync (or wmdc) will install the pocketpc cab file on the pocketpc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 1:06 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I've just loaded Reader for Pocket PC in to my HP iPAQ 6915 but it doesn't work at all. When the installation is about to complete a dialog box suggests that Reader 2.0 2 might not work as Windows Mobile 5.0 is too new platform. Any hint? I badly need a PDF reader.

Many thanks to anyone who could help.

Renato Somekh

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 9:57 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    >>> I've just loaded Reader for Pocket PC in to my HP iPAQ 6915 but it doesn't work at all. <<

Worked fine (both version 1 and 2) on my WM5 device... the message on install is a "cya" message from microsoft indicating that some apps can't deal with screen draw issues, but reader is not one of those.

>>> doesn't work at all <<

Specifics would help... i.e. does it open from the start/programs icon, are you able to see the "open" menu within reader, can you open from that menu, how are you trying to use it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2008 12:02 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I am trying as well, teh response is:

'acrobatreader-ppc2002(2)'is not a valid Pocket PC application.

I have a Samsung i-760

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2008 11:06 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    To those posters that have the IPAQ 6900 (6910 & 6915), you have a pocket pc and the pocket pc version should work fine on your device. I have this software installed on my IPAQ 6925 and it works great.

Joe Barberi, you have copied the file you downloaded from Acrobat's website, as is, to your pocket pc. That is not the way to install this software (or most any pocket pc software for that matter)

To install adobe reader for pocket pc:

Download the file and save it to your computer. Then select the file and an installation wizard will appear and prompt your through the installation to your pocket pc. If your pocket pc is connected to your computer and ActiveSync is running, the software will be installed to your pocket pc. If your pocket pc is not connected to the computer, the software will be installed the next time you sync your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2008 9:29 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I can´t read DRM activated e-books from the library with Adobe ReaderPocket PC 2.0 on my Dell AXIM X5.1v with MS Windows mobile 5.0. I have the right Acrobat reader 7,0 on my desktop, and have activated NET passport for both devices. I can read the e-book on my desktop with Acrobat reader 7.0. The E-book prepares and transfers via active Sync 4.2 to my hand device. But when I will open the book with adobe reader pocket pc 2.0 a message appears: There was an error opening this document. Permission to use this document has expired.
    I think this problem has been for more than one year. Can anybody help?
    Gunnar Svensson

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2008 3:29 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    You don't sync DRM eBooks to your pocket pc like regular documents. Instead you will send these files to your Mobile Device through Adobe's Digital Editions option.

Attach your pocket pc to your computer. Then open up the Digital Editions option that is included with Adobe Reader 7.0, highlight the book you wish to send to your mobile device. Right click your mouse button and select "Send to Mobile Device."

============================
    Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2008 3:18 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Thanks for the answer!
    But I think I do it the way You advice. I click on "Send to Mobile Device" in Adobe Readers 7.0 Digital Edition option - then I get Transfer to mobile device: Pocket PC Device name:
    1. Choice a device name from the menu (and there is only one option named "WM_HP_garen" which is the syncronizing folder on my desktop, that contains a subfolder "My Digtial Edition")
    2. Click Prepare
    3. The prepared file is copied to the My Documents\My Digitial Edition folder in the mobile device

and the eBook is really transfered to My Digital Edition folder on my mobile device, but when I will open it from Adobe Reader Pocet PC 2.0, I get the message "There was an error opening this document. Permission to use this document has expired"

Am I still doing wrong or is there some failure in Adobe Reader Pocket PC 2.0 and MS Windows mobile 5.0 connection?
    Thanks for help?
    Gunnar Svensson

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2008 6:46 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Gunnar,

It sounds like you are transferring the books in the proper way to your pocket pc. You are sure you have authorized your pocket pc through Adobe's website so it is recognized as a valid device?

You authorize your pocket pc through Adobe Reader 7.0's Digital Editions option (Digital Editions > Authorize Devices......)

I do not read DRM PDF books on my WM5.0 pocket pcs and have not authorized these devices, but I do read DRM PDF books on my windows mobile 2003se pocket pc.

==========================================
    Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2008 1:39 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Julie

Thanks for answer.
    I have authorized my pocket pc through Adobe Reader 7.0 Digitial Editon option - Authorize Devices, and got the message "your mobile device has been activated". I hope this is true!
    Please, can You or someone else read DRM PDF books on WM5.0 pocket pc? In that case, there must be some wrong with me or with my device.

Gunnar Svensson

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2008 10:32 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    How to remove the warning msg "The program you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software". ??? Is it possible for you to provide us with inf files?

[CEDevice]
    ProcessorType = 2577
    UnsupportedPlatforms = "HPC","Jupiter"
    VersionMin = 3.0
    VersionMax = 1000.0
    BuildMax=0xE0000000

Thank You,
    Patel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2008 9:09 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Suggest Reposting at news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2008 11:24 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I try to download my book and I keep getting an error that says Your Adobe Software could not be activated. The Adobe DRM Activator is not responding. I have gone through the process to activate the software and I keep getting the same message, Your Adobe Software could not be activated. The Adobe DRM Activator is not responding.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2008 1:29 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    I have a HP iPAQ hx2495b Pocket PC and want to read PDFs. I downloaded Adobe Reader 7 into my activesync folder and then tried to open the files. When I tried to open them both acrobatreader-ppc2002 and adberdr20_ppc_enu.exe say that they are not a valid Pocket PC application. Which is the right application? I have Windows Mobile 5. Dick

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2008 3:13 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Sounds all well and good if you have Acrobat Reader 7. But I'm using Reader 8 and this does not have Digital Editions integrated but there is a separate (Flash) Digital Editions application for this (works fine on my desktop PC.

My Pocket PC is running Windows Mobile 6, if I browse to the Digital Editions installer page I get a message that Flash is required. I installed Flash Player 6 for Pocket PC, restarted my PPC and revisited the Digital Editions page but still get told I don't have the Flash Player installed.

Anyone got this working with WM6 / Acrobat 8 / Digital Editions 1.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2008 4:29 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    Honestly, I am not buying any book online with the format pdf. First It's the most unreadable format on PDA and ppc then you cannot even read a book that you bought from one adobe reader to another one and even send it to your ppc. That's the most stupid way to do a business. Somebody has to speak that way. I am very angry. I bought a book that I cannot send to to my ppc and carry it with me. And I cannot open it with another adobe reader. I will on;y buy Mobipocket or anything else expect .pdf. That what competition is about.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    >> Somebody has to speak that way. I am very angry. <<

Welcome to the club... it was formed almost a decade ago, and volumes of frustration and bile have been spilled on the subject over the years ...you are not alone.

The fundamental problem is DRM protection implementation and every reader which supports encrypted ebooks has user issues.

The responsibility for the format used lies with the publisher... who is likely much more interested in content protection than even acknowledging user issues, so, that's where you need to direct your (justifiable) feelings.

Personally, I made a decision in the late 90's based, on principal, to _never_ purchase DRM protected ebooks or audio... ultimately, that's the only user comment the decision makers will even acknowledge, much less listen to.

Your adobe ebook issue is probably addressable on a single device... search here for posts which cover several years of ebook problem solving. I can't help, as I won't go there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2009 2:29 AM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    How can i find Reader for Iphone?

--
    http://www.draligus.net

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2009 3:52 PM   in reply to (Pete_Huile)
    >>> Reader for Iphone? <<

I have heard that Iphone had limited ability to view pdf documents as part of the os... have you tried to simply open a _simple_ pdf on the phone?

afaik, there is no adobe iphone reader.

Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)