Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't associate pdf files with Acrobat Reader v2 for WM v6......

Oct 2, 2008 10:46 AM

I've been trying to associate pdf files so that when I click on them, adobe reader will be launched automatically, and then open the pdf file.

There is another thread on here that asks about this too, and the suggestion was to use a utility like Rescoe Explorer or Tilanosoft Pocket Tweak.

Unfortunately, although I've used both apps to associate pdf files with Adobe Reader, all it does is initially open the acrobat document, but then clicking on the first page of the document only causes reader to crash.

So, associating pdf files with reader doesn't work (at least for me). I can associate pdfs with other readers like foxit, and that works fine, but foxit doesn't have quite as nice a reflow capability.

Now, if I launch Adobe Reader first, and then select from the list of pdf files, that works fine.

However, a drawback to that is it doesn't hunt up all of the pdf files that may be buried in subdirectories.

Anyway, I have installed/ininstalled Reader for PPC v2, but I haven't been able to get this to work.

Is this a problem with Acrobat Reader for PPC? Has anyone been able to click on a pdf file, and have Adobe Reader open it up successfully without crashing?

I'd sure appreciate some useful feedback. This is frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2008 10:46 AM   in reply to (m._warner)
    Sorry my suggestions have been useless... guess Adobe will have to help you.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 7:09 AM   in reply to (m._warner)
    If it were me, I would;

Do a full uninstall of any apps associated with pdf files on both the sync pc and ppc

Find and delete any remaining directories associated with these installs after the uninstall has been run

Find and delete any shortcuts associated with pdf files

Soft reset the device

Download acrobat ppc reader again and install on the sync pc then connect the ppc and allow it to install... use only default answers during the install.

Test first with one of the pdf files created with the adobe install not other common files such as fax renderings.

If the association doesn't run the first time, use resco to re-establish the association.

If you need resco to set the association and the load fails after using that, I'd suspect resco might have a problem... using a current version?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 6:07 PM   in reply to (m._warner)
    I have the same problem. I am running Windows Mobile 6.0. After I installed Adobe Reader 9.0, when I double click on a PDF file it starts Adobe Reader, I see a flash of the document loaded, then Adobe goes away (I assume Adobe Reader crashed).

I followed your steps to remove/reinstall Adobe and I still have the same problem.

Windows Mobile 6.0 comes with Westtek ClearVue PDF reader. I can't uninstall ClearVue as it does not show up in the Remove Programs window. I wonder if there is a conflict between ClearVue and Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 5:10 AM   in reply to (m._warner)
    >>> I wonder if there is a conflict between ClearVue and Adobe? <<

I would guess it's likely.

It would be valuable to confirm that this is happening with the default pdfs installed by adobe... i.e. they are "known good" pdf files, so, if they don't load, the possibility that it is an issue with the files you are opening is eliminated.

At this point, I'm out of ideas and options as I don't have wm6 or clearview in rom, so, I suggest reposting this with as many tech details such as make/model/os etc at

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc
    or
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks

...if you don't do nntp then http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.pocketpc?hl=en
    or
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.pocketpc.ebooks?hl=en

either of you have a ppc registry editor and comfortable with using it? If so, email me privately _from my page_ at bevhoward (dot) com

See you on the ms forums,

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2008 9:57 AM   in reply to (m._warner)
    >> I have a Registry editor and am comfortable using it..
    I have tried modifying the pdffile key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
    Thanks Mark <<

While I am comfortable with a registry editor, since the file association process uses multiple keys, I have never been comfortable setting associations in the registry itself and always use a file association tool such as pockettweaks on the ppc and others on pcs

My comment on the registry was an offer to scan someone's wm6 registry and compare it to older registries to see if it might be possible to spot a conflict.

If anyone is game, take a moment to reconsider... any registry likely contains private information and all I can offer is the promise that it will be wiped after finding and looking at keys associated with pdf file associations since looking at specific keys will not likely yield positive results.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2008 6:02 PM   in reply to (m._warner)
    Ive installed Foxit PDF reader and it works fine as the default reader, both selecting a PDF file to open Foxit and starting Foxit manually and opening a PDF file from it.

Ive played around with the registry and can not get Arobat reader to work properly when selecting a PDF file to Launch Acrobat Reader; Acrobat Reader opens the PDF file then crashes. It works great starting Acrobat Reader first and opening a pdf file from the program.

Under system requirements for Acrobat Reader 2.0 I found that it supports Handheld: Pocket PC 2002 or Windows Mobile 2003 (Update 2). I believe Acrobat Reader 2.0 needs to be updated for WM6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 5:09 AM   in reply to (m._warner)

This is what worked for me. I had the same problem, acrobat reader was crashing as soon as it opened a document launched from a diferent application. I tried reinstalling and in the process I noticed that I was reinstalling to the same location - an inbuilt card rather than the main memory. I reinstalled to the main memory and that solved the problem. Now it doesn't crash.

I hope it helps!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2009 9:55 AM   in reply to Mixophyes_fasciolatus

I have all of the same issue on a Windows Mobile 6.1 device.  I tried installing Adobe Reader into my main memory, but the is not sufficient space.  I have all of my programs installe on the storage card.  I don't know what to try next.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2010 10:23 AM   in reply to (Beverly_Howard)

open my file

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)