Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

Jul 5, 2008 5:07 AM

I just installed Reader 9, and now when I click on a link to a PDF on a web page I get this message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again." Since I AM running version 9, this seems peculiar. Any ideas?

Mary

Replies 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2008 5:15 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Same here since yesterday. (V9)
    "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your Web Browser and try again."

Guess what happend if I follow the instructions?
    Right.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 2:02 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    This instruction is probably coming from the web site, rather than any
    of the software on your computer. If this is the case, you need to
    contact the site operator.

You could, if it is public, share the URL so someone else can try it.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2008 11:41 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Interesting. So we have to assume this message isn't from the web
    site.

Three questions
    1. Do you have more than one version of Adobe Reader installed on this
    computer?
    2. What happens if you start Adobe Reader first, from the START menu,
    and LEAVE IT RUNNING when trying to view the file?
    3. Do PDF files on other sites work OK, or not?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2008 7:17 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    If you have CS3, is this one of those with Acrobat? If so I would
    certainly advise against having Reader too.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2008 9:16 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    >Acrobat will not automatically open when you click on a PDF link in a website; in fact, with no Reader installed there isn't even a PDF file type recognized.

Then something is wrong. Acrobat is designed to do everything Reader
    does, and manage web site viewing in the same way (but with more
    features).

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 7, 2008 1:10 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have recently installed Reader 9 and have encountered the same problem: PDFs do not open in browsers. I have Internet Explorer 8 beta 1 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.15. No matter what websites the PDFs come from, they all open in the Reader 9 client.

I've also tried toggling the 'Display PDF in browser' checkbox in Edit > Preferences > Internet. It has had no effect. Previously in Reader 8.1.2, toggling this checkbox would prompt for a restart of the computer, but not in Reader 9.

Is there any solution other than reinstalling an older version of Reader?

-Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 9:15 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 9:18 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have been getting the "need Adobe reader 8 / 9 " message on my Vaio running Vista when trying to view web PDFs despite having installed 9 3 times.
    If you save the PDF to desktop and then try, it opens fine.

On some PDFs the message says that I need to associate the file type with a program but it already is if you look at the association list.

Hate this VISTA !

GP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 10:27 AM   in reply to (Ginger_Pete)
    >I have been getting the "need Adobe reader 8 / 9 " message on my Vaio running Vista ...

Do you have any other version of Acrobat or Reader also installed, as
    Mary does?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2008 11:49 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Aandi, let me tell you what I know to be installed on my computer: Adobe Air, Adobe FlashPlayer ActiveX, Adobe Reader 9, and Adobe Shockwave Player 11. Flash videos from my browser will not play, even though I have installed the last version of Adobe Reader. What's the problem? Are any of my installed programs conflicting?

Thanks !!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2008 3:15 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Hi, I just installed a fresh Windows Vista Business 32bit with Firefox and Adobe Reader 9 and have exactly the same issues. I think it's simply a bug in the software. Any other suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2008 6:47 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have used these reg keys to fix this problem. Copy and paste the text below into notepad and save it as "AdobeFix.reg". Double-click the saved file to add the entries into your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe /u \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 4:06 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    This registry fix doesn't help me. I'm running Vista and still it displays out of the browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 6:38 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Hi, I have the same problem and could be solved by clicking on tools, internet options, advanced and ensure the option enable third party extensions under browsing.

However, I have a different problem. First, there is a windown that says that the document is being prepared. This window was not present in the earlier versions. Secondly, when I download several documents from the browser, it hangs and the internet browser closes by itself and reopens at the home page. Thirdly, when I tried to save the document, every time, it is the root directory that is being displayed. Previously, it was the last subdirectory. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 9:30 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    i have the same problem. I can clearly trace it to uninstalling adobe acrobat pro trial version that came iwth my sony. Now when i download reader 9, and foxit pdf readers, both don't work in webpages! i get that same error message. What can i do, reinstalling does nothing and i can find nothing in settings for either reader or explorer to fix it. The problem also persists in firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 10:16 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have tried all available options presented here in this Forum. The only option which is still succesfull is uninstalling the version 9 and instaling the latest Adobe Reader 8.1.2. After installing this, everything is back to normal and working fine.
    So, it seems, I will wait for some fixes from Adobe with veriosn 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 3:43 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Open Reader 9.0 . Open "Edit" then " Preferences" then "Internet" from the list on the left then deselect "display pdf in browser" hit O.K.

Now it will open it directly in to a pdf instead of trying - and failing !!- to open it in a new browser.

Let me know how this works out for you , it works for me after a few weeks of trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2008 11:28 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Yes, I know that, but if I need to open the pdf in a browser what to do then? This option doesn't help me a lot. Even, when yo uinstall reader 9, by default this checkmark "display pdf in browser" is unchecked! In earlier versions this was ok.
    The specific program I'm working with needs to open pdf in a browser (not outside it), otherwise I'm loosing my program functionality. So, that is why i can't use Reader 9, which is really more faster then it's predecesor :)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 10:22 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    We use to have the same issue with Windows XP SP3 (Fresh Install) & Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0.0. I finally got it working again. For this I did some steps (one of these seems to have repaired the situation)

- Upgraded Firefox 3.0 to Firefox 3.0.1
    - Updated Acrobat Reader 9.0.0 with the additional language update
    - Modified in Firefox the Tools\Options\Application field Application/PDF to "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2008 6:05 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Had the same problem myself i am using Windows XP+Firefox3

1) first check your file association for pdf

2) If the files association is correct then uninstall the arcrobat reader9 by going to add/remove programs in control panel.

3) reload arcrobat reader9 install file from adobe.com

4) reinstall & restart your computer

That should be it, if using firefox3 go to tools/options/applications tab and change the action column against adobe acrobat listing on the left.

Good Luck
    Zaf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2008 1:13 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I am having the exact same problem with Acrobat Reader 9 and the latest version of Explorer. I keep getting a pop up box indicating I need to have the version 8 or 9 to open the pdf AND I HAVE 9 INSTALLED!!!!

I have tried to repair the installation. I have checked the internet security section of my control panel and it is configured correctly according to what is posted on the Adobe site.

What is going on here???????? AND WHY IS THIS PROBLEM OCCURING? I should of never updated as the old Acrobat reader worked fine but now it has been removed from my system with the 9 installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I now can not access information I need in order to do business on a daily basis.

Thanks! HH

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2008 6:06 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have installed Reader 9, but getting this error when tried to open a PDF file from brower" This action is only valid for products that are currently installed" Please tell me how to fix this.
    Thank you,
    Chi

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:00 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have had the same problem since loading v9. I tried some of the fixes listed here but with no luck. I finally unistalled v9 and reloaded v8. Find v8 on filehippo dot com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:53 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Yep, did the same. v8 works

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 8:45 AM   in reply to (kellyanner)
    kellyanner,<br /><br />Please do not send people to other sites for reader. All versions of <br />Reader are available on either the Adobe web site or the Adobe ftp site. <br />  I believe, one needs permission from Adobe before posting installers <br />on other sites. When not downloading from Adobe, people cannot be sure <br />that the installer has not been tampered with. Why go elsewhere, when <br />you get it from the source. You can find all the different versions of <br />Reader for nearly every language supported:<br /><br />For early Acrobat Readers:<br /><br /><ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader><br /><br />For Adobe Readers:<br /><br /><ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader><br /><br />Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 8:47 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I followed the advice and removed Adobe 9 reader and found that I still had 8.1 on my computer as I had purchased 8.1 Standard with my Fujitsu scanner. The problem went away. Thanks for the feedback!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 25, 2008 4:39 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have a Sony VAIO with VISTA and experienced what others describe.

As soon as I updated to Adobe Reader Version 9, I started receiving the exact error message Mary Smith described: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again."

This condition disrupted my work with LiveCycle Designer on forms I had been creating. Every time I clicked on a PDF in LiveCycle, the error appeared and my LiveCycle Designer program would report it had to shut down.

The solution: what everyone else has described. Uninstall Reader v9.0 and download/install Reader v8.1.2.

Recommendation: until Adobe fixes this condition definitively, avoid Reader v9.0. From the posts here, this is clearly an issue not worth the hassles. It's probably easiest to just downgrade to v8.1.2 and get on with your work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2008 11:31 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Disabling the "display in web browser" under Edit>Preferences>Internet in Reader 9 worked for me. However, I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 installed and the downloaded file opens in that program rather than in Reader 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 4:32 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have the same problem with open PDF files on the web sites

I work for 3 hours and I find the solution ...

I re-download the 9 version of PDF and I " REGISTRED " this free version and now ... I can open the PDF file on the web site !!!

I think the no-registered is the object of the problem

Try this and good lock

Marc
    Quebec, Canada

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 3:54 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I had installed Adobe Reader 9 a couple of days ago and opening PDFs in the browser window in IE 7 worked great.

Yesterday I installed an old version of Adobe Acrobat.

Today I tried viewing PDFs in the browser and got the same message:
    "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again."
    When I clicked on OK a blank Acrobat window popped up and the browser showed "Page cannot be displayed."

This fixed the problem on my computer:
    1. Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> Adobe Reader 9 -> Remove
    2. Restarted the computer.
    3. Tried opening a PDF in the browser window.
    6. Clicked on Open on the Open / Save prompt.
    7. Allowed Microsoft Search to look for an application.
    8. In http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?EXT=pdf clicked on the Adobe Reader link.
    9. Followed instructions to install Adobe Reader 9 again.
    10. Opened Adobe Reader and clicked on Accept on the licensing screen.
    11. Restarted the computer.

Monica
    Vancouver, Canada

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 14, 2008 7:35 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have Windows XP and after updating to Reader 9 I received the same message "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again."

It is too bad Adobe doesn't simply tell you to register after installing Reader 9. I registered and now I can open pdf's. Thank you post #32 for the suggestion. It worked for me.

Dennis

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 15, 2008 10:46 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I am preparing to deploy to 3000 company PCs and this message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again." is NOT going to work.

I can't use a "one computer at a time" solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 17, 2008 10:34 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Thanks to # 32 Marc. I had the same problem. I couldn't open PDF's from the Web. I uninstalled, re-started my pc, registered, and re-installed. It works!!!! I have Vista X64, SP1. Many thanks.

Hope this works for you also.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2008 8:37 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    well, I had the same problem and solved it
    in adobe 9 (or acrobat ) go to edit>preference>internet
    and uncheck the "Display pdf in browser"
    then press OK button and exit the program

again open the program and go to same path and check "Display pdf in browser" then press OK button and exit the program

It will solve your problem

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2008 9:39 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Unless of course you really need your PDF to open in your browser, then that solution is absolutely useless. Yeah, it may stop the error message, but your PDFs will open in Adobe Reader program instead of your browser. Some PDF forms and applications require IE's Active X or other browser based technology to fully function.

Some bug in the installation sometimes fails to include the path to the reader application in the Registry.

IF you need to open PDFs in your browser :

Got to Start - Run - enter "Regedit"
    Browse to HKEY_Local_Machine \ Software \ Classes \ (you may have to create the following keys) Adobe \ Acrobat \ Exe \ : Change "Default" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
    It should show up in regedit like ""C:\...""
    This will fix the issue, by telling the browser where to find Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)