• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2008 Jul 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Reader 9, and now when I click on a link to a PDF on a web page I get this message: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again." Since I AM running version 9, this seems peculiar. Any ideas?

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 245 Replies 245
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here since yesterday. (V9)
"The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to view PDF files in a Web Browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your Web Browser and try again."

Guess what happend if I follow the instructions?
Right.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This instruction is probably coming from the web site, rather than any
of the software on your computer. If this is the case, you need to
contact the site operator.

You could, if it is public, share the URL so someone else can try it.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the PDF I was trying to open is from my own website, and it opened fine before I installed Reader 9. Now I think I'd like to find an older version to reinstall and see if that works. I can't get version 9 to work on my XP or my Vista computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. So we have to assume this message isn't from the web
site.

Three questions
1. Do you have more than one version of Adobe Reader installed on this
computer?
2. What happens if you start Adobe Reader first, from the START menu,
and LEAVE IT RUNNING when trying to view the file?
3. Do PDF files on other sites work OK, or not?

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2008 Jul 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No to all three questions. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I have Adobe CS3 (including Acrobat) installed on both these computers, but can have only one activated at a time. I started having trouble with Reader 8 when I had CS3 de-activated on the XP computer, but the trouble continued when I reactivated it, so that's when I tried to install Reader 9. On the Vista computer I was having no trouble until I installed Reader 9 (in both cases I uninstalled the older version first).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have CS3, is this one of those with Acrobat? If so I would
certainly advise against having Reader too.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat will not automatically open when you click on a PDF link in a website; in fact, with no Reader installed there isn't even a PDF file type recognized. I tried adding it and associating it with Acrobat, but it wouldn't let me do that. I have now solved my problem by installing Reader version 7, which seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Acrobat will not automatically open when you click on a PDF link in a website; in fact, with no Reader installed there isn't even a PDF file type recognized.

Then something is wrong. Acrobat is designed to do everything Reader
does, and manage web site viewing in the same way (but with more
features).

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after installing acrobat pro 9,(cs4)  i can't get pdfs to open from sites either (i'm on a mac) it's very frustrating. it's always something with acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently installed Reader 9 and have encountered the same problem: PDFs do not open in browsers. I have Internet Explorer 8 beta 1 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.15. No matter what websites the PDFs come from, they all open in the Reader 9 client.

I've also tried toggling the 'Display PDF in browser' checkbox in Edit > Preferences > Internet. It has had no effect. Previously in Reader 8.1.2, toggling this checkbox would prompt for a restart of the computer, but not in Reader 9.

Is there any solution other than reinstalling an older version of Reader?

-Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2008 Jul 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been getting the "need Adobe reader 8 / 9 " message on my Vaio running Vista when trying to view web PDFs despite having installed 9 3 times.
If you save the PDF to desktop and then try, it opens fine.

On some PDFs the message says that I need to associate the file type with a program but it already is if you look at the association list.

Hate this VISTA !

GP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I have been getting the "need Adobe reader 8 / 9 " message on my Vaio running Vista ...

Do you have any other version of Acrobat or Reader also installed, as
Mary does?

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aandi, let me tell you what I know to be installed on my computer: Adobe Air, Adobe FlashPlayer ActiveX, Adobe Reader 9, and Adobe Shockwave Player 11. Flash videos from my browser will not play, even though I have installed the last version of Adobe Reader. What's the problem? Are any of my installed programs conflicting?

Thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just installed a fresh Windows Vista Business 32bit with Firefox and Adobe Reader 9 and have exactly the same issues. I think it's simply a bug in the software. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2008 Jul 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used these reg keys to fix this problem. Copy and paste the text below into notepad and save it as "AdobeFix.reg". Double-click the saved file to add the entries into your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\acrobat\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe /u \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This registry fix doesn't help me. I'm running Vista and still it displays out of the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem and could be solved by clicking on tools, internet options, advanced and ensure the option enable third party extensions under browsing.

However, I have a different problem. First, there is a windown that says that the document is being prepared. This window was not present in the earlier versions. Secondly, when I download several documents from the browser, it hangs and the internet browser closes by itself and reopens at the home page. Thirdly, when I tried to save the document, every time, it is the root directory that is being displayed. Previously, it was the last subdirectory. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem. I can clearly trace it to uninstalling adobe acrobat pro trial version that came iwth my sony. Now when i download reader 9, and foxit pdf readers, both don't work in webpages! i get that same error message. What can i do, reinstalling does nothing and i can find nothing in settings for either reader or explorer to fix it. The problem also persists in firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all available options presented here in this Forum. The only option which is still succesfull is uninstalling the version 9 and instaling the latest Adobe Reader 8.1.2. After installing this, everything is back to normal and working fine.
So, it seems, I will wait for some fixes from Adobe with veriosn 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeap, a friend said me that, but I cann't get that old version. It isn't available in the Adobe webpage. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just download Reader X from their website. They said it would work ok. I downloaded the Reader X but haven't given it a test drive yet. You should be OK.

The forum discussion board registered people 247,000 people that viewed one person's complaint about this same issue starting in 2008. I have never had the problem until just recently. Somehow something triggered this glitch. I noticed that Google.docs was involved in the development of the pdf files. I don't understand this stuff but they did a good job screwing up a lot of people. And nobody, of course, will admit it. They probably already have been fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgo Adobe 9 guys, really, its now old.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines