Skip navigation

Reader 9 won't open PDF from web browser

Jul 5, 2008 5:07 AM

Latest reply: MadisonAvenuePam, Oct 28, 2011 2:21 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 28, 2008 10:53 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I am having the same issues. The problem was that I did not close down all the browser windows in IE and Firefox, before I started to install the Reader. Uninstall the Reader first, then make sure no browsers are open and reinstall the Reader. It should do the job.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 6:05 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I finally got PDFs to work in my browser by doing the following.

1. Uninstalling Reader version 9
    2. Installing Reader version 8.1 from the abobe.com website
    3. I then had to uninstall via control panel add remove programs the adobe.com program, and I also uninstalled the Adobe AIR program.
    4. I then checked in my Add Remove programs list and Adobe Reader 9 is still listed, I uninstall it again (why I don't know).
    5. I then view a PDF file outside of Internet Explorer and I have to accept the license agreement in a popup window to get Reader 8 working properly.
    6. I then go to a web page that links to a PDF file and finally I can view PDfs in the browser again.

We have around 30 PCs in our department with Adobe Reader 9 and some of them work in a browser and some of them do not, so there appears to be a conflict of some sort.

For info, I have Acrobat Professional 8.1 on my PC also.

Good Luck

ScottJ in London, UK

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 7:10 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    how do you install v8? I can't find how to do that? It keeps trying to install 9

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 12:34 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    It is hidden behind the Other languages link on the Reader Download.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

If you go to the above page, enter your Operating System, Version, and Language, and click next, you currently get the option to download either.

1. Adobe Reader 9 ( including Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR)

2. Adobe Reader 8.1.2

3. Adobe Reader 7.1.0

I downloaded Reader 8 and it is now working for me.

Good Luck
    Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 9:14 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I wouldn't install Acrobat 8 and Reader 9 on the same pc - reason why is both applications share a lot of the same namespace - including the browser plugin.

In other words if you want 9 and like Acrobat - upgrade, or just stay with Acrobat 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2008 3:52 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Thank you! I uninstalled 9 and went back to 8. Now everything is working again.
    Kristy

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    When I try to open an e-mail attachment that contains a pdf file I get the message:

"The download can not continue. Error passing voucher."

I get this same message when I go into My Documents and double click a pdf file.

I just installed V9, but this also happened in V8.

Adrian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2008 2:40 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    As for the "Registering" trick mentioned by #32, how do you register it? Maybe I don't see if because I used the Customization Wizard 9 and deployed it via GPO. It would be nice to know the registry key for this then I could deploy that across my network.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2008 3:25 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I am experiencing a problem with Adobe Reader 9 when trying to view PDF files from within the browser. It causes an error which causes Internet Explorer 6 to crash. Application log shows that problem is with Acrord32.dll module.

Adobe Reader 9 will work is preferences are edited to avoid viewing in browser.

Any suggestion for a fix.?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2008 7:27 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I was having a similar problem to this. If you updated straight from Adobe Reader 8, then this is probably the cause. I had to uninstall Adobe Reader 8 completely and then do a fresh install of Adobe Reader 9. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2008 9:57 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    My fresh install still have this problem. The only work around I have found was to disable the adobe Reader plugin in Firefox so that PDF's open in a separate window.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 5:02 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I have the same problem as post 35. I know that the solution is to register Adobe 9, and then you can open PDFs via your browser. But I need to deploy Adobe 9 to 150+ computers and cannot visit each one and do this manually. Is there a way to bulk register Adobe 9 for 150+ computers?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2008 6:46 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Checking and installing the available updates after installing version 9 worked for me. I have Windows XP Media Edition with IE7. If you have unticked "display in browser" within reader 9 preferences to get it working as suggested in previous forum messages, make sure you re-tick it, otherwise it will still not load a PDF file within the IE7 browser window.

Hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 6:55 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Where you able to find a solution with either GPO or the customization wizard?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 10:41 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Compiled fix for web browser pdf opening with Adobe Reader 9:

It was published above along with other registry keys, but seems that just one of them is missing after installation of AR9 (we used GPO method with Customization Wizard 9)

Windows XP x64

* start

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""
    * end

Windows XP/2000

* start

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Reader 9.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""

* end

Tested to work with both IE7 and FF3. After applying this registry patch you need to close browser windows.

Not sure if one can distribute registry patch over GPO, but i'm simply using regedit over network to import it to about 40 workstations... still not gonna help those guys managing thousands...

have fun people!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 12:12 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    hey just an idea, you can actually use Customization Wizard 9 to add that missing registry key, create new transform and re-deploy :D

In CW9, Registry tab, create new key on destination machine under:
    LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe

You may need to create the whole instance of keys starting with Classes\SOFTWARE and then all following above manually.

and modify the EXE key Data to show this value:
    "[READER]AcroRd32.exe"

I'm gonna test it right now.

Yep all works perfectly fine on all Windows (XP 32-bit, x64 and 2000).
    Have fun big guys, it was an easy fix :)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 5:23 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    New Adobe Acrobat 9 prevents web browser from opening and displaying he content dut returns the "done" message from the browser activity bar. I am running the latest version of fire fox for yahoo as my browser, and once I uninstalled 7.0.9 vers for 9.0 version I cannot get the browser to display content,

Any one know what can be done to resolve this issue???

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2008 12:57 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    The way I got it to work was to uninstall version 9 and install version 8, a step backwards I know but at least it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 5:29 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Solution #32 worked for me, Thanks!

Though I was wondering what Adobe is doing! I got reader 9 pre-installed in the new pc I got from DELL, just wondering what's happening with Adobe...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2008 7:52 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Try downloading Foxit reader and make this your dedicated reader. This fixed all my reading problems instantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2008 6:03 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    YES, but HOW you re-install Adobe reader 8 or 7 - I CANNOT find it on the Adobe website (it just alwasy takes you to the download page for Reader 9) and am reluctant to trust downloads from elsewhere!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2008 7:51 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Choose an older OS in the download area.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2008 4:26 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    We got this error, when with customization wizard set "display PDF in browser" -> disabled and user is activating open PDF inside browser mode. All cases with enabled settings and "disable and lock" seems to be OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2008 12:47 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Kuba you rock. #54 is what I used for a solution and my test station worked great. I'm setting Reader 9 to redeploy. Oh this is great! Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 12:25 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I think these problems are the same, can anyone help me with this?
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6d5ae

Thnx

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2008 1:57 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    If you have Adobe Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader 9 installed on your computer, both may be attempting to open PDFs in your web browser...

One simple resolution, as suggested by alvand is to open Adobe Acrobat, go to Edit > Preferences > Internet, and clear the "Display PDF in browser" check box.

This should solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2008 2:30 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Thanks for the reply.
    But this isn't a solution. It's a workaround.

There are too many websites that can't handle PDF's not opening in the browser, like: http://www.nza.nl/aanbieder/GGZ/12364

And because the option is in Adobe Reader, it should work.. right?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 1:07 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    For those of you who followed Kuba's instructions regarding creating a registry key and found it didn't work, make sure the path in the registry key matches the path to where you have Reader9 installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 10:58 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I haven't noticed this problem. I guess it's been fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 12:30 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I am using IE 7 and had downloaded Reader 9.0, but was unable to get it to work on the Web despite trying the suggestions I found here. I finally gave up, uninstalled 9.0, dowloaded 8.1.2, set it to not open a .pdf in a web browser window, and now I'm rolling.

Thanks for all the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 1:08 PM   in reply to (John_Peter_Tyrrell)
    John Peter, would you care to explain to me what the advantage is of
    having a PDF (or a Word doc or...) opening in the browser and not in
    the program associated with it?
    Secondly, what difference does it make to a website what settings I
    have in my Reader? I tried a couple of PDF links from the page you
    referred to, and they opened in Reader 9 as expected. What happens
    when you try?
    --
    Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 11:33 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Hi Noel,

The advantage of opening pdf's in the browser is that all our internal users are used to pdf's opening in the browser. If I change it to open in Reader they all start asking questions.
    When I try to open a pdf file from the referred site "http://www.nza.nl/aanbieder/GGZ/12364" Adobe Reader opens and gives the error: "An error occured opening the document. Cannot find the file." This is with Windows XP SP2, IE6 and Reader 9.

I solved the issue now by opening op DNS to internet for the internal network, but why Adobe changed the way it handles PDF files in IE I don't know...

John

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I had the VERY frustrating issue of not being able to open a PDF in a browser window after installing Acrobat Reader 9. Looks like the problem was rooted in the fact that I had a browser open when installing Acrobat Reader 9, which seems to confuse things.

Solution (as above):
    Uninstall Acrobat Reader. Make sure all browsers are closed, then re-install.

Suggestion for Adobe: if you need us to close all browser windows when installing your software, then make us do so! It took me nearly two hours of my workday to fix this issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2008 7:08 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I had the same problem.

I had both Acrobat Reader and Acrobat.com on the list of programs. Apparently Acrobat.com is also Reader. I uninstalled both of them and then reinstalled Reader. Solved the problem.

I rebooted after each uninstall, although I don't know if that is critical.

Denny

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2008 12:13 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Ever since I've upgraded to Adobe Reader 9, I cannot open adobe files via the web browser. I need to be able to see my pay stub located through IPAY. An error or an alert keeps telling me that I cannot see the file without Adode 8 or 9. I had 5 and downloaded 9. So what could the problem be?? Please help!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2008 11:25 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    We rolled out Adobe Reader 9 using Microsoft's System Center Essentials. Some, but not all users had this problem after the rollout. We were able to fix it by opening Adobe Reader 9 and clicking Help--> Repair Adobe Reader Installation. This fixed most everyone's installation. However, I still have a couple of users who can't open PDF's in FireFox... Go figure.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 7:52 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    After about 45 minutes of poking around and trial and error, we have it working in both IE and Firefox. The solutions:

For IE, launch Adobe Reader 9 and edit preferences. Under "Internet" uncheck the box to load a PDF in the browser (forces it into Adobe Reader).

For Firefox, go to the Tools - Options - Applications tab. For Adobe Acrobat Document, the Action should be Use Adobe Reader 9.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2009 8:53 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    I opened the adobe 9 reader and opened the help tab then selected repair adobe reader installation after closing all other tabs...now it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2009 11:32 AM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    Kuba- Is there any chance that you could explain how to correct this with the custmization wizard. I used your reg hack and it worked like a charm! I am just trying to determine how to fix my SI/GPO package. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2009 5:42 PM   in reply to (Mary_Y._Smith)
    well, I had the same problem and solved it
    in adobe 9 (or acrobat ) go to edit>preference>internet
    and uncheck the "Display pdf in browser"
    then press OK button and exit the program

again open the program and go to same path and check "Display pdf in browser" then press OK button and exit the program

It will solve your problem

I tried this resolution and it didn't work. It did however by leaving the "Display pdf in browser" unchecked and clicking on OK. Now it seems to work perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)