• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't type in form field

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I move the "I" to an unsecured field I can't get my keyboard to type.
I'm using Reader 9 on XP machine
TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you absolutely know that the form contains fillable fields that were added by the creator of the form?

Keep in mind that just because it looks like a form, that doesn't mean it's fillable.

Also the security just lets you know that "if" there are fillable fields, you'd be allowed to fill them. It isn't telling you that those fields exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graffiti,

The document is an application, in fact I have several applications
forms different sources and no luck.

I tried typing an different application on my wife's computer and like mine I can't get her older version of Reader to work either.

Thanks for you help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The document is an application

Maybe explaining that a little further would help. An application?

Are these PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are pdf files sent to me from different businesses and are work related. I have a lease application, credit application and an employment application all from different sources These files were sent to me via email and I saved in My Documents and opened from there. I'm using a downloaded version of Reader 9 on a XP system.

My wife downloaded an employment application on her computer with the same results. She is using an older Reader again on an XP system.

With two different machines and pdf's from different sources I'm lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I'm not sure where the application part comes in but my first answer stands. They may "look" like fillable forms but that doesn't mean they are.

They are probably intended to print out and fill by hand. If you can send me one (click on my user name for my email address) I can confirm that but I'm 99% positive that this is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn.

Got the PDF. There are no form fields that you can fill out.

You see the "I" because you have the select text tool selected.

To see if form fields exist, use the hand tool, mouse over what you think is a field, THEN if it turns to an "I", it may be fillable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and patience.
Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2008 Nov 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graffiti - I have been having the exact same problem and this was helpful (finally figured out using the hand tool that what appeared to be fields actually were not).

So, the next question is: is there any solution to this? I have been told by the person who sent it to me that I should be able to fill it in using the "typewriter" tool. However, I cannot seem to find that tool, and in the "toolbars" list, Typewriter has an asterisk next to it so when I check the box, typewriter still doesn't show up.

Is there any way I can fill it in some other way?? (Not by hand - must be "typed" and I haven't seen a typewriter in about 9 years!)

Thanks in advance - this has been frustrating me for a week!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2008 Nov 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order for Reader users to use the typewriter tool, the creator of the file has to specifically enable that.

It could be that they "think" they have enabled the tool but really haven't.

If you could post the PDF somewhere we could look at it, I could tell you more but for now, that's all I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save the form as a bmp file; insert it into a word document page; insert a text box that you type in filling in the blanks on the form. I just accomplished this with a form that has little text boxes and it came out just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to fill out the form. The properties section reads filling of the forms is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I can't seem to fill out the form. The properties section reads filling of the forms is allowed.

Did you read my very first post in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graffiti, first off thanks for the help. Secondly I am experiencing the same problem as all the other people here. I have been filling out applications for employment for years and have never experienced this issue of not being able to temporarily fill in the text boxes. I recently printed an application and filled it out by hand, in hind sight I think I wasn't selected for an interveiw because of this.

These are the pdf properties I've seen multiple times...

Printing: Allowed
Document Assembly: Not Allowed
Content Copying: Allowed
Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed
Page Extraction: Allowed
Commenting: Not Allowed
Filling of form fields: Allowed
Signing: Not Allowed
Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed

Like I said before these are employment application forms and they are ment to be filled out using reader. It would seem that something has either changed with the newer versions of Adobe or my computer is corrupt... and I really hope it's not the second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>These are the pdf properties I've seen multiple times...

You can basically ignore what those properties say. They're just telling you that "if" there were fillable form fields, you would be allowed to fill them out. It's not saying that those form fields exist.

>and they are ment to be filled out using reader

How do you know? Did they specifically tell you that you could use Reader to fill them out?

Do you have a link to one that we can look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The form fields in this PDF work with Foxit reader, but not with Adobe Reader 9 (Windows XP sp3):

http://dsnet.co.clark.nv.us/dsweb/permit_application/forms/signpermitapp.pdf

Any ideas what is wrong with Adobe Reader?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. They work fine in 9 for me.

What happens when you try and fill it out? As many details as you can give would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe Reader says it is fully updated.

When I open the doc is tells me at the top "You are viewing this document in PDF/A mode"

If I select the "Hand", it does not turn to a text entry cursor or allow me to click into the fields. The arrow/I tool just stays as a "I" when over the text or the fields, but does not allow me to enter the field or add text.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem.

The pdf was opening in PDF/A mode and that mode does not support fields. In Edit|Preferences|Documents there is a setting to shut off PDF/A view mode. It then works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. PDF/A doesn't support fields. Glad you got it figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader 9 Scanned form using HP all in one and saved in pdf format Form opens up ok and I know there is other things I have to do in order to make the fields printable. One help told me to Choose Forums>Start Form Wizard. I cannot find the forms or wizard. What do I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>One help told me to Choose Forums>Start Form Wizard. I cannot find the forms or wizard.

That's because it's not available in Reader. You need Acrobat to create forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything. it is happening on one machine.  I even purchased a additional copy of acrobat thinking that would help the problem.  I have forms that I fill on other systems in my office.  I know they are forms and yet on one system I am unable to type in the form fields.  There are a few check boxes and they will fill but he text fields will not.  I have uninstalled acrobat 9.0, I have gone into the registry and deleted from the hotkey_machine_software the references to adobe and still no success.  I even tried calling adobe and still I am at a standstill.  If you have an answer please let me know.  I really need help with this one.

Ins Broker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't type in form field

OK but my version is old Acrobat 4 The help told me to choose tools>forms>auto calculate field values. The auto calculate field values is checked but is grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines