Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL--can't open pdf files as a result

Oct 31, 2008 8:47 AM

I just installed Acrobat Reader 9 and I am getting this error message. I shut down the computer to no avail. I am not able to read any pdf files. Any help is appreciated.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Nov 1, 2008 11:17 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    I am having the exact same problem. I don't know what happened to my Acrobat. It has always worked perfectly. Then somehow it was corrupted and I have tried to update it, restore it or do what I can all to no avail.

Louise

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 9:03 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    I was wondering if either of you have the Quickbook PDF Printer? This has caused the error in the past with Reader 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2008 1:44 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    I am facing the same problem with the fresh installation of Acrobat reader 8.1.3 . I am unable to uninstall the ver 8 or upgrade it to ver 9. Everytime I try to do so, I get the fatal error "The installation package could not be opened, please contact the application vendor". Please help , I am unable to open any pdf file.
    I have a new machine with lots of software are installed in the last few days. therefore I cannot restore it to any previous day.

thanks in advance and hoping to get a positive from you soon.
    Jalaj

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 9:56 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    Is anybody who is receiving this error message running CA Antivirus? Reason I ask is I found this article in a different blog:

"It turns out it was a conflict with CA antivirus and Adobe. It matters what order they are installed .
    To fix I unistalled CA anti-virus> rebooted> Uninstalled Adobe Reader>downloaded Reader 8.0>installed Reader".

I haven't tried it yet, but was just wondering if there is a common amoungst us all like CA Antivirus?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2009 10:39 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    I am getting this error after installing a trial of Acrobat PRO 9.0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:01 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    helloooooooooooooooo....what can I do for repair it?????

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:08 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)
    Are you using Firefox? I got this error(adobe failed to load core dll) after installing Adobe 9 and believe that was the problem. There are instructions for installing Adobe 9 in Firefox. The link is on the intall Adobe Reader 9 page. I couldn't follow the directions exactly because they are probably for an older or different version of Firefox than I have but basically you have to tell Firefox to allow www.adobe.com to allow add-ons. I uninstalled Adobe, rebooted and followed the directions to allow add-ons and reinstalled. Ta-da! It works now!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2009 5:07 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

A repair in add remove programs worked for me. Running Acrobat Pro v.9.1.3

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2009 4:05 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

im having the same problem i have Adobe Reader 9 installed and every time i try to open Adobe Reader 9 it says Acrobat failed to load Core DLL and i was on the monster energy website trying to open this PDF file and it wouldn't open and i restarted my Computer and i tried to reinstall Adobe Reader 9 but it says there and Error. So can someone please tell me whats up with my Adobe Reader 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2009 8:23 AM   in reply to Shelzza4

For Acrobat 9 one posible solution is delete AcroRd32.dll.2.config and try to start Acrobat Reader Again.

Bye

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 12:17 PM   in reply to MartinMaqueira

Well, the the previous reply didn't work for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 6:55 PM   in reply to (luv_wknd)

This has become fairly frustrating for me. I read through the other questions with the same problem, there seem to be very many ... and I wonder why adobe products isn't responding. I have many of the same potential items each of us thinks is the "culprit".  I don't know what CA antivirus is, but it does seem that after I loaded stopzilla antivirus recently, I too, have this dll problem.

My pdf loaded and it was actually working today, but when I pulled up the docs I wanted to read, they were garbled/jumbled or in some other format that was indecipherable. Now when I try to load a pdf file, it won't even load, I have the same problem about the" core dll won't load".  I wonder,

So, it's got me thinking why.... and... I recently responded yes to a question adobe asked in an updare or something... or should I say offered, about (can't remember exactly what it was) but it was something like, do you want us(adobe) to maintain internet security for ???, I can't remember what they were tracking or what it exactly asked, but I said yes and I wonder if that security is the problem. Does anyone have clarification for my "garbled/jumbled" speak?!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 5:03 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I cannot open the program.   Adobe failed to load its Core DLL.  Wondering if it has a compatibility problem with Bit Defender 2011 which I recently installed?   So where is the answer from Adobe's techincal support staff?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to gphelan1

OK I got mine fixed.  here is what i found on the support website under Adobe REader

Windows users

You can also repair Adobe Reader using Control Panel:

1. In Windows, choose Start > Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    2. In the Add or Remove Programs list, click the Adobe Reader item.
    3. Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application
      Windows users

You can also repair Adobe Reader using Control Panel:

1. In Windows, choose Start > Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
      2. In the Add or Remove Programs list, click the Adobe Reader item.
      3. Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application

I followed the instructions and Adobe could open the new Reader afterwards.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to gphelan1

Well I'm back t osquare one!!   Again I'm getting this message when I tryto open a document with Reader.  HELP!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 10:31 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I had the same problem but I just discovered that it only gives me that message and won't open PDF files in Firefox. I can open them and it works fine with Google Chrome. Hope this helps. I tried the repair option and that did  not work. It must be an issue with Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 9:34 PM   in reply to pitgirl70

Thank you but I do not use firefox.  I use internet explorer.  I repair it

in Control Panel and it works for awhile and then it stops.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 10:57 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

All you should have to do is install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Once installed, change the default program to launch when a PDF is opened to the latest one that you installed.  easiest way to do that. right click on a program, go to Open With..., then Choose Default.  a new dialogue box will open, and you can choose which PDF program you want to open with... make sure you choose the latest version.

What i noticed in my scenario was that i could open PDF files, but only after opening adobe reader x, and going to file--> open--> selecting my PDF.

but when i had items saved elsewhere i wasnt able to open them like say from the desktop or my documents.  gave me that 'Acrobat failed to load it Core DLL' error.  not fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I'm late to the party, but have FINALLY solved this issue.  I'm running Windows Vista on an old desktop I normally only use for printing.  Unable to print .pdf files with this same issues.

Uninstall the latest (lousy) version of Adobe and installed version 9.5.0. 

FIXED.

Abode should have addressed this issue long ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

Keeping the thread alive here. I just had the same problem today on a Win XP machine after installing some adobe updates. My current version of Acrobat is 9.5.1 and my Adobe reader is 10.1.3. There were no issues with the reader, just the error message when trying to open Acrobat. I follow the advice of some of the previous posters and did a repair in "Add/Remove Programs". It took close to 10 minutes to finish repairing and required a reboot. After that everything worked perfectly again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Kinecsys

Dear Kinecsys,

You saved my day! I was facing the same problem with my Windows XP and after receiving update from Adobe for the version 10 above. Read you suggestion and performed repair. Adobe reader Ver 9.5.1 is working now smoothly.Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Rajranj

next time try to run  the program as administrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to juleskb

It worked for me too, BTW in Win7 it is called Programs and Features instead of of Add/Remove Programs. 

Thanks again!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I windows 7 and had Adobe 11 downgraded to 10 thinking that might help no. I have changed the program like all have reccomended to no avail has it worked. I have restored my computer to a date when Adobe worked just fine. I  need my reader for school as my textbooks are PDF's. I am in freak out mode and no clue what to do about it. IF all these ideas are not working.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to KEJKMARL

Go to Bing.com and search for Old Software Downloads and there will be several sites that have really old versions of software, which might be good for at least getting your through your schoolwork!  Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I have Windows 7 and Adobe Reader X1, this error message never came up until yesterday. Please help!!! I have to open PDF files for my business... I have already tried options listed here as well as uninstalling/reinstalling

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to mja741

MJA741,

I need mine for school it never did it until yesterday too. I am freaking out b/c it is my last week in class and they do not accept late work, plus I am an online student. I have unistalled and reinstalled older versions and still nothing. I hope that Adobe would have a number to call as it would be nice to talk to someone instead of waiting for someone to respond.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to KEJKMARL

They do have numbers to call but they charge money!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to mja741

Yea found that out $40 for nothing

let me know  if u figure it out I will post if I can figure it out

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to KEJKMARL

Please don't ask me since mine is now working but I forgot how I fixed it awhile back!  Sorry!

You might ask the school or friends if they have an old version that they had downloaded the install file to their Download folder or such...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to KEJKMARL

Will do, I will post if I figure it out!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to mja741

Anyone getting this message, please tell us your antivirus.

And check the antivirus logs to see if they moved/quarantined/deleted anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

I have Trend Micro and I know that it has nothing to do with my Anti-Virus. Already tried it with the AV turned off... Besides, it was working for a year before yesterday and no changes were made

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to mja741

Antiviruses should be updating daily with new definitions, and false positives are a common thing. So I suspect them as being behind this because after all, what else changed?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)