Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting Adobe Reader 9 as default PDF reader for IE7

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2009 Feb 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made the mistake of installing Foxit Reader on my new PC and am trying to stop Internet Explorer 7 from using it as the default pdf reader instead of Adobe Reader 9.

By re-installing Adobe Reader 9 the problem with Windows Explorer using it was solved but Internet Explorer still keeps trying to open PDF files using Foxit Reader.

When installing the Foxit Suite the installation was not 100% successfull on Windows Vista 64 bit with the Uninstall.exe file not being created and the program not being listed under add/remove programs.

Does anyone know how to set Adobe Reader 9 as the default PDF reader used by Internet Explorer 7.

Thanks for any advice.

Goggs75

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2009 Feb 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to go Control Panel > Folder options and change the default program to use for files with a pdf extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

I do have the default program for pdf files set to Adobe Reader 9 on Windows Vista Home Premium.

The process the computer goes through when trying to open a pdf file using Internet Explorer 7 is initially to try to open it using Foxit Reader with windows security allowing me to block this then automatically opening it using Adobe Reader 9.

Thanks for any advice.

Goggs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the most IE savvy person as my main browser is Opera. However, try this: in IE, choose Tools > Manage Add-ons. From there, hopefully you can either delete Foxit Reader as an add-on or else change the default program for pdf helper.

Also, in Adobe Reader make sure you have Edit > Preferences > Internet > "Display PDF in browser" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I cannot see Foxit Reader as an add-on in IE and Adobe Reader 9 is the default for pdf helper.

"Display pdf in brower" is checked in Adobe Reader.

Thanks for your suggestions

Goggs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

you need to do the following to fix up the associations in Vista

1. go to control panel

2. default programs

3. set associations

find  the ".pdf"

4. go to the "change program" button and chose Adobe

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting so frustrated and tried sooooo many different "fixes". Yours worked!  Brett, you Rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW Brett thanks so much for the tip it worked a treat!!!!!! Thank you so much

[spam link removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try repairing / reinstalling the latest version of Adobe 8 / 9 , if this doesn't solve your problem you need to edit the default adobe reader setting in the registry.

For information on the Windows Registry Editor, see the documentation for Windows or contact Microsoft Technical Support.

• Go to Start > Run
  • Type regedit and click OK.
  • Browse to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe.
  • Make sure that the (Default) value is set for the path where Acrobat or Reader is installed.
  • The default path for Reader is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe".
    The default path for Acrobat is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe".

for full details visit: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405461.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by going to

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers

right click on the pdf printer program you want and select make default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRETT, YOU RULE. THIS WORKEDFANTASTIC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,
    Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This 6½ year old topic is now locked.

(Ok, 5½ years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines