• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I constantly get the following message when trying to read files:
There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired. I am using Windows XP.

I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling but this didn't work. I also tried repairing the installation - still no joy.

I would be grateful for any help.
Tess
TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It was strange because I have the same version at work and it opened the very document which was supposedly damaged and couldn't be repaired. I unistalled the program and now having difficulty re-installing. I think it has to do with the windows installer but I don't know how to fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I think it has to do with the windows installer but I don't know how to fix that.

Maybe you could tell us the exact error messages.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similiar issue. I have a user that gets this error when trying to open a .pdf from outlook. I had him save the file to his desktop, then open it, but it still gets the error and doesn't open. So I had him forward the email to me and the pdf opens fine for me, so the file is not damaged. I've already removed and re-installed Adobe, and deleted temps, but that didn't work. To add a twist, he is able to open other pdf files, just not ones that are in Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem. any idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My twist on this problem is this: I can open pdf's and giffs but not jpgs! (I have Reader 7.0 in Windows)the error message from Adobe Reader is:

"Adobe Reader could not open ('file name.JPG') because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

It's a JPG! I don't need Adobe Reader starting up to open a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom.

You simply have a problem with your systems file associations.

You can go to your system help files and do a search for file associations to learn how to change them back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Graffiti I'll try that. In the meantime I followed the security alert from Adobe about a possible breach in 7.0, upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a longtimer but I don't know . . . when I go to help, change file associations, it says, "right click on file" and choose open with. If I choose "Windows and fax viewer" the picture opens. It instructs one to drop down and click on "always open with this program." I don't see that. What you're saying, Graffiti, and it is logical, is that I can change file assoc. for all jpgs. How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. I'm mostly on a Mac. It varies from OS to OS.

On my laptop (which has XP) under the list of programs in "Open with", there's a check box that says "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just right-clicked on a jpg, droped to "open with" then "other programs" chose windows pic and fax viewer, then checked "aways open files like these with" then "okay." And it works for all jpgs. I hope this helps everybody. I don't know why this happened to so many all at once. Weird. Wonder if it has anything to do with that security alert, and 7.0 Thanks Graffiti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say why it did that.

Seems to happen from time to time. Could have been the update I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sometimes the pdf file is really damaged, I would like try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair. It works rather well for my corrupt PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/ But it is not free, I just used the free demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that it has been forever since this issue was addressed but I don't see a solution provided. I get the same thing using Adobe Reader 9.3.3 with Windows Vista (UGH!) and I use Mozilla Firefox; not that this should matter but it does require a specific add-on when installing for some reason.

Anyway does anyone have a solution for this error message.  I can open other pdf's on my computer and I can open two recently received emailed pdf's on my wife's computer but I cannot open them on mine.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem too. I finally decided it was time to research the problem but obviously nothing's been resolved. I have to keep copies of PDFs in a different locations on the network so I won't have to redo conversions to PDF. The OS association thing doesn't work for me. Yoo hoo Adobe designers . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received two pdf's from someone... both were contained within the same email one opens and the other one gives me the error message.

I was told my issue could likely be related to my Anti-virus software so I uninstalled it and re-installed it - it might have helped, but as recently as 10 minutes ago I experienced the problem again.

I'm not sure how best to communicate with adobe but would have guessed Adobe Support is as good of a place as any.

If you figure anything out please share and I'll do the same!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My corruption seems to happen when I check pdf files out of Microsoft's Visual Sourcesafe (VSS). They're fine when I check them in; garbage when I check them back out.  I googled "pdf visual source safe" and discovered some fixes to VSS but none of them have worked so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I get this message too; however, only when receiving a .pdf from one particular sender. Plus, we are the only recipient in his email blast that gets this message. Anyone else have these particular conditions? I skimmed through the posts here and I didn't see any viable solutions. No one has the answer???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add my problem to this post since I have a very similar issue

Everything was fine untill I downloaded my credit card statement which is in pdf format

I have windows 98 so I am using adobe reader 6.0 to open it. I was able to open it the previous month so I am not sure what the problem is

I can open any other pdf files with no poroblems It's just this particular one that doesn't work

I saved it to my desktop and it still doesn't work. Then just out of curiosity I opened it on another pc that has windows xp and adobe reader 9.0 and it works I also tried it on another pc with windows 98 and adobe reader 5.0 and I got the same error

So it seems like it's looking for a newer version although I have no way to proove it

I tried to use the Advanced pdf repair software that someone mentioned here but I could not get the free version to work (it kept crashing)

Is it possible that this file was created with a newer version of adobe acrobat and can only be read with a newer version of adobe reader ?

If that is the case it would nave been better if it would say newer version required or something like that than to say the file is damaged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2010 Sep 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone who has this same problem

Aparently this is adobe's poor attempt of telling you to upgrade to a newer version

However I found a different solution

I was reading a different post on this forum where someone said to use Foxit instead of adobe reader

So I looked for an older version that works with windows 98 and it works

The file that is supposedly damaged and could not be repaired can be opened and read with Foxit and if it's saved with Foxit it can than be opened with adobe acrobat without any problems

Problem solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2010 Sep 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Foxit Reader 2.0 for my windows 98

You may have to use a newer version if you are using it on windows xp or higher although if you are using xp you can get the newer version of acrobat reader and the problem should go away at least it did for me

Basically you can't read a pdf that was made with a newer version of acrobat reader  and try to read it with an older version except for Foxit which works either way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend sent me a pdf via mail and I got the following screen:

error.JPG

Then I asked him to resend it and when I opened the SAME pdf via SAME Adobe Reader 9.3.4 it opened!!!

Which clearly indicates that the pdf got damaged on the way(in transfer process).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2010 Sep 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can open it after trying it again that's fine Perhaps the newer version can fix itself

I tried many times opening it in the browser and downloading it with the same results

The only thing that worked for me was the newer version 9.0 on another pc with xp and the Foxit 2.0 on the current pc with windows 98

All I am saying that even if it's damaged you can still open it with Foxit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having a terrible time with the same problem.

I have narrowed my problem to having installed SP3 on my XP system.

I reverted to SP2 and the problem has gone away.

For the complete story of my problem see the thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748316

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines