Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader 8.1.1 for Linux and Solaris released

Sep 13, 2007 11:59 AM

Linux

* 32-bit Intel Pentium processor or equivalent
* Red Hat Linux WS 5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 10 and Ubuntu 6.10. For a list of customer-reported working systems see here
* GNOME or KDE desktop environment
* 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
* Up to 125 MB of available hard-disk space
* GTK+ (GIMP Toolkit) user interface library, version 2.6 or higher
* Firefox 1.5 or higher; Mozilla 1.73 or higher

Solaris

* UltraSPARC or UltraSPARC IIIi processor
* Solaris 9 or 10
* GNOME or KDE desktop environment (GNOME only for Solaris 10)
* 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
* Up to 175 MB of available hard-disk space
* Firefox 1.5 or higher; Mozilla 1.73 or higher

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2007 11:17 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Thanks a lot for the early feedback, we have taken a note of your comments.

The issue with libGtkEmbedmoz is known to us and is mentioned in the readMe.htm as well(/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/help/ENU/ReadMe.htm).
    For our investigation could you please let us know the distribution on which you faced this problem.

We were not able to reproduce the problem you faced with /opt. Could you please let us know the shell you were using and whether you were installing as root, normal user or sudo. If it's not much of a problem, could you please try installing it again?

Desktop icons are only created for the user installing the reader. So if you install the reader as Root, the icon will be placed on Root's desktop

- Priyank

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2007 4:20 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hi,

unfortunately the shell functionality is worse than it was on 7.09:
    acroread -toPostScript -shrink -expand -size a4 < ./07-183280.pdf
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    cat ./07-183280.pdf |acroread -toPostScript -shrink -expand -size a4
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    acroread -toPostScript -shrink -expand -size a4 ./07-183280.pdf
    echo $?
    root@nudelkiste:/var/tmp# acroread -v

So to do one line like
    cat file.pdf | acroread -toPostScript |lp
    won't work.
    The functionality with -shrink or -expand is not working, too. Both options have really no effekt!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2007 5:25 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hello Sebastian,

Acroread does not read PDF content from an input stream. However the PS generated by the -toPostScript command can be piped. The PS content is dumped to stdout if "-" is specified as the output filename.
    For instance,
    acroread -toPostScript -pairs ./07-183280.pdf - | lp

Please see acroread -help for details.

Sincerely,
    Neha

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 8:35 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    hi
    i wondered where i can find the rpm spec file to build an rpm installion file from the tar archive provided on the site. the rpm file provided on the adobe site gives me problems but the tar works fine & i wanted to install an rpm file.

cheers
    lewis

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 1:27 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Any chance of this version being ported to x86/amd64 version of Solaris 10?

Please, please, please.

:)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 2:04 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    I've found another bug. The issue probably comes out on TwinView screens (Xinerama), that is one desktop streched to multiple screens. I have two screens, 1600x1200 each. When I open a PDF file I get something like this: http://hq.cyberdeck.pl/1.png (note that zoom is set to "Fit width" and the window is maximized). When I chage the zoom to "Fit page" I get: http://hq.cyberdeck.pl/2.png (this is viewed on right screen, so there's no other screen to the right). After switching to non-maximized window everything is OK, but maximizing it again results in: http://hq.cyberdeck.pl/3.png (note that GUI interface hasn't change it's size). There wasn't such problems in version 7 of the Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 3:26 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Why nothing for Solaris on Intel?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 9:04 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Daniel,

The screenshots really help in identifying the problem. 3.png seems to be the bug. I'm surprised you say that this used to work in 7.x, 'cos I believe the UI was broken for dual monitors in 7.x.

We'll get this logged as a bug and to ensure that you can see the fix in perhaps a later release, please send us your email-id. You could write to the Program Manager - Anupam Garg - agarg at adobe dot com

Thanks,
    -vc

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2007 3:21 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Lewis,
    what problem are you facing with the rpm installer from Adobe site? you need some spec to convert a tar installer to a rpm - right?
    -Maybelline

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2007 12:23 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Viraj,

I'm absolutely sure that Reader 7 worked very well on dual screen configuration. At least in my case and I'm using PDF files with Acrobat Reader quite often. I've send an email to the address you posted.

Thank you :)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2007 11:37 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Maybelline,
    hi. the adobe rpm installer is not able to make links to system libraries libbonobo-2.so, etc on my system. 2ndly it doesnt work properly from /opt directory on my system. if u use the tar installer it works k doesnt give much of probs nywhere i install it either in /opt or /usr/lib. 3rdly i wanted to edit dat spec so it can automatically install browser plugins & start menu links for all users.

it would be great if u give me a link where i can find the spec to convert tar to rpm.

cheers
    lewis

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2007 11:49 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    when is AR8 for Linux available in other languages like germen ?

bye thomas koppe

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2007 11:27 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hello Thomas,

Simple answer - Very Shortly! Stay tuned to our blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread) - we will announce the release of the german (and other) reader there soon.

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2007 11:49 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    What about Adobe Reader for Solaris/Intel? You support both Solaris/SPARC and Linux/Intel. I can't imagine there can be that much work involved in putting out a version for Solaris/Intel.

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2007 11:22 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hi Thomas,

This is to let you know that Linux and Solaris readers are now available in French, German and Japanese!! You can read our release announcement at the official blog at http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread.

We hope you have an enjoyable experience with this release!

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2007 1:17 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Thanks for Adobe Reader 8.1.1 for Linux and Solaris
    I am disappointed, that the new versions is only
    available for Solaris based on SPARC HW.
    What are the reasons, why current versions of
    Adobe Reader 8.X are not available for Solaris
    on X86 platform ?

Thanks in advance
    - Alfred

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2007 10:56 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    I am also disappointed that you haven't seen fit to release a version for Solaris x86. This should be fairly trivial for you to do. By not doing so you alienate the entire OpenSolaris community who predominately work Solaris x86.

If I choose to run Solaris x86 on a notebook type machine I have no choice but use other viewers to read Adobe PDF's. These are all inherently inferior to your reader.

Please port it.

We use Sunrays (powered by x86 Soalris 10)with Firefox browsers for a lot of our Student commons areas for web browsing. It would be very nice if we could have the x86 version so we could add that to our service. A lot of our student content is distributed as PDFs from our Learning management systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2007 6:40 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hi

Another voice asking for Acrobat reader for Solaris x86/x64. Is Adobe management listening to these requests?

A+
    Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2007 7:41 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Adobe is sensitive to user feedback and all feedback received here on the forums or in the Reader blog at http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread are recorded in our internal database for consideration for the next release.

Thanks for your feedback,
    -vc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2007 1:54 PM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    GTK+ UI Toolkit libraries, ver. 2.4 or greater were not found.

error in netscape 7.0

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 1:03 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Hello Aerosmith,

Could you please elaborate on the exact issue you are facing? From the error message you have posted it seems you do not have the required version of GTK+ UI Toolkit.

Please refer the System Requirements page at http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/productinfo/systemreqs/#80linux and also the Adobe Reader faqs at http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2007/09/adobe_reader_811_faqs.html for more information.

Regards,
    Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 7:43 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    I have the toolkit because when I use mozilla browser the pdf opens properly but when I use Netscape 7 on same system it gives me this pop up window I don;t think anything regarding netscape is mentioned in the FAQs.
    OS is sun OS 5.9 on Sparc
    Browser Netscape 7

Mozilla does not give any error.
    Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2008 5:50 AM   in reply to (Zbigniew_Luszpinski)
    Good morning everyone,

I am a new person to using Solaris 10. I recently installed this on a Sun Blade 150. I was surprised that when I used a web browser to view a PDF document that an error message would tell me that I needed to install version 8. I tried to do that, but there was no guide provided with the download on how to do this. The result is that I have it installed, but it doesn't work. Due to a small hard drive, I have been uninstalling other programs (NetBeans, Open Offcie, and so on). Now the old Adobe reader does not work. All that I can guess is that the various uninstall programs took out something--I had that happen when ncurses went away. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Fred

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to (Fred_Strickland)
    > I was surprised that when I used a web browser to view a PDF document that an error message would tell me that I needed to install version 8.

Seems likely that this is something that the web site is doing itself,
    and getting wrong (which is fairly typical). Do you have a URL for the
    page?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)