Skip navigation

Unable to install Type 1 fonts in Windows XP

Aug 7, 2008 1:37 PM

Latest reply: Gabe_Adoff, Nov 6, 2009 1:01 PM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2008 11:42 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    thanks Dov.
    i just wanted to arouse attention to this bug because it is affecting a lot of people yet there's still no solution.
    i am so stuck that i'm planning to do sell this laptop and buy another one!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 12:56 AM   in reply to (Youtou_Ko)
    So, did you contact the PC/video card manufacturer yet?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 4:00 AM   in reply to (Youtou_Ko)
    I just went to Samsung's site and found that they have a video driver
    update for your R460. The driver file date is 6/21/2008

There are updated graphics drivers for both Windows XP and Vista here:

http://snipurl.com/3tyu8 [www_samsung_com]
    That's a shortcut to this long url
    http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/download/supportDown.do?group=com putersperipherals&type=notebook&subtype=rseries&model_nm=NP-R460&disp_ nm=R460-AS03&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=R&prd_ia_c d=

- Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 5:58 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    However, it is atmfd.dll that handles the type 1 fonts, and Adobe is listed as the manufacturer of this dll even though it is part of the windows OS. Unless Adobe has entirely turned over the development of atmfd.dll to MS but left their name on it (which is unlikely, I suspect there is a partnership development agreement somewhere and that someone in some cubible somewhere in San Jose still has a hand in this code). And, atmfd.dll was updated with SP2 for win2k3 (probably XP as well). Clearly some coordination amongst all three companies would be ideal.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 6:27 AM   in reply to (GaryBlakely)
    Ever since Windows 2000, it has been fully maintained by Microsoft. No one in San Jose (or any other Adobe location) still "has a hand in this code."

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 7:10 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    That's unfortunate...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 7:12 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Dov is correct. I am quite certain that nobody at Adobe did any updates to that code for Windows 2003 SP2.... Also, it's likely there were no significant updates by MS, either: it may have just gone through a newer compiler or something.

T

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2008 8:03 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Nonetheless, given the symptoms, it is entirely likely that the module cited is not at all involved. Again, you need to contact Microsoft and the video driver supplier.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2008 7:13 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Greetings everyone...I am sure glad I came across this post. This has been very informative and helpful and I was able to diagnose exactly what is going on with my Adobe Font Folio fonts after a new computer purchase.

I'm having the same issue as you all...damned if I thought a new laptop was going to give me LESS problems =)

Here's my info:
    Dell Latitude E6500
    Windows XPSP3
    nVidia Quadro NVS160M

I'm experiencing the same issues/symptoms as the rest of you...Type 1 fonts won't preview/activate in Suitcase, the Windows System Fonts folder, or a variety of other applications I attempted (I originally was thinking this was software-related).

I'm on hold now, waiting to speak to a Dell Tech Support Person and will let you all know what, if anything I can find out.

IMO, this is ridiculous that nVidia/Dell/whoever made an oversight of this magnitude...my workflow is at a standstill right now until I a.) fix the problem, b.) use my old machine, or c.) scrap everything and buy something new.

-ben

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2008 9:48 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    ***UPDATE on my process***
    The Dell support tech I spoke with was very informative and appreciative of this problem. While they do not have anything relating to this issue in their knowledgebase, he is going to give this a serious look. I expect to hear back from Dell later today.

While waiting, I wanted to try something. I installed a dual boot with Vista Business running. After initial tests, it looks like the different nVidia drivers made for Vista fix this problem. I'm going to continue to test this in Vista before I do a full-blown wipe + reinstall, but things are looking up so far!

-ben

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2008 9:21 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Hi Ben,

did you get new information from dell support? i have the same
    problem with my latitude e6500.

thx

jenlau

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 3:09 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Hi Ben,

Did you get this solved?
    I have the same/similar problem on a Dell Precision MM4400 with nVidia Quadro FX 770M Running WinXP Pro SP3

Thanks

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2008 11:13 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Dell Latitude E6500
    nVidia Quadro NVS 160M
    Windows XP Pro SP3

I installed drivers from http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175series/17808.exe (mobile driver 178.08), helped me with fonts but broke GPU in Photoshop. Anyway, for me it's better than the official driver.

As Dell uses 176.26, the problem should disappear as soon as an updated driver becomes available.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2008 12:33 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    SOLVED!

I found new Nvidia drivers at: http://laptopvideo2go.com

The 178.15 driver works with my Dell E6500 (Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M) running Windows XP Professional! Yeah!

I did need to download the specialized INF file before the driver would recognize my video card.

Photoshop's GPU feature works now too. With the older Dell driver, selecting the GPU drawing feature didn't seem to make much difference with speed. With the new driver, re-draws and zooming are FAST!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2008 1:26 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Hello, I have spent nearly a week trying to figure out this type 1 fonts problem. Just wanted to say how helpful this post was to finally solve my problem. I actually had IT bring back my old machine to be able to do my work. I really appreciate the help everyone shares here. I wish I had looked for this sooner. I've learned my lesson, check the Adobe forum first!!
    Thanks to you all.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 7:39 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm having the same problem with a new HP EliteBook 8730w with an NVidia FX 2700M card. I sent a Type 1 font over to an HP support person (who has been very responsive and understanding) and he had the same problem. He said they would be contacting NVidia to see if they have a new driver. I was told they had recently had a user with a similar problem (but with OpenType fonts) so hopefully something is in the works.

On a hunch, I uninstalled the video driver and attempted to install the type 1 fonts in VGA mode. I was able to install the fonts without a problem when the video driver was not installed.

I then installed an older version driver and left the fonts on, to see if any of my programs would be able to use these fonts. It was a mixed bag. Some programs recognized them, some didn't, and some only recognized the base version (but not the bold, extended, light, oblique, etc versions).

Programs that recognized the full font family:
    Photoshop
    Illustrator
    InDesign

Programs that didn't recognized any of the fonts:
    Flash

Programs that only recognized the base version font:
    Word
    PowerPoint

I then uninstalled the older version and re-installed the newest version and the results were the same.

I doubt any of the info will actually help anyone, but I thought it was interesting how the different programs were affected by the video driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 9:21 AM   in reply to (dave_ingraham)
    Dave -

When a font family has the four specific styles regular, bold, italic,
    and bold italic, MS Office and most other non-Adobe application
    products display ONLY the regular (or normal or base) name in a font
    list. The bold and italic versions are accessed by applying the "B"
    and/or "I" or changing the text attributes (properties).

A downside of that approach is that there's no way to tell if the font
    has the alternate styles available - because if it DOESN'T, a faux
    bold or faux italic will be created.

Adobe products list each font file separately in their font lists.

Some font families don't use the font and style naming conventions in
    a way compatible with the MS/Windows approach - for example, a font
    with a style "Light", will confuse Windows unless it's given a unique
    FAMILY name. That's an oversimplification; there are some excellent
    texts available on the subject.

All of which has little or nothing to do with the inability to install
    the fonts in the first place. They're two separate and distinct issues!

- Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2008 10:08 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Thanks for the info Herb. You learn something new every day.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2008 1:00 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    >A downside of that approach is that there's no way to tell if the font has the alternate styles available

Not so for MS apps, at least. They will usually say in the font dialogue whether a font is "installed for screen display only" and, if so, "the closest available font will be used for printing". This is MS's way of saying a faux font will be used.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2008 10:08 PM   in reply to (Dominic_Hurley)
    Herb wrote:

A downside of that approach [The MS faux fonts vs. real bold & italic)
    is that there's no way to tell if the font has the alternate styles
    available

To which Dom replied:

Not so for MS apps, at least. They will usually say in the font
    dialogue whether a font is "installed for screen display only" and, if
    so, "the closest available font will be used for printing". This is
    MS's way of saying a faux font will be used.

And Herb adds:

[Comments are based on MS Office 2003]

That message, very small at the bottom of a crowded dialog box, is
    almost NEVER noticed and almost as rarely is it even seen! The dialog
    box itself is seldom used by most people; of course for those people
    who never use it, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

The messages presented there differ between Type 1 and Truetype fonts.
    Both are misleading.

For an installed TrueType font-style, the message reads:
    "This is a True Type font. This font will be used on both printer
    and screen."

For an installed Type 1 or OTF font-style, it reads:
    "This is a scalable printer font. The screen image may not match
    printed output."

MS Office Apps describe Type 1 and .otf fonts as "Printer Fonts", and
    associate a printer-looking icon in font selection drop-down lists.

Selected styles that are NOT available, either TT or T1, yield the
    same message:
    "This font style is imitated for display. The closest matching
    style will be printed."

- Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2008 1:04 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Regardless of whether most people are aware of or use the font dialogue and accepting that the messages are not particularly clear, for those who want to know it is possible to tell if a faux font is being used by those MS apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2008 2:16 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Some of this dialog stuff is better in Office 2007, btw.

T

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2008 4:46 PM   in reply to Thomas Phinney
    That's the first time I've heard anybody outside of MS say anything
    good about office 2007!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2008 7:25 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    There are other things to like, such as PowerPoint *finally* supporting kerning. Of course, it's off by default, but it least it can be turned on.

Then again, I still spend absurd amounts of time trying to figure out how to do basic tasks, after using it for about six months. :(

Cheers,

T

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 10:40 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    I'm hoping someone can help me locate the an older video driver for my new Dell Vostro 2510 laptop.

Same problems installing type 1 fonts in XP Pro as everyone else.

My understanding is that the video driver for my Invidia GE Force 8400M GS needs to come from Dell. They don't have an updated driver and I'd rather not scrap the laptop, buy a new one, and reinstall everything.

I do see an updated driver on Indivia's site, but I"m afraid of potential hardware conflicts with a non-dell driver.

HELP!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 11:02 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    I received a workaround fix from HP concerning this. Below is their email to me:

--- start of email from HP ---

Good news. Nvidia has identified the problem and provided a fix. The way it was explained to me, Windows expects the device driver to be a certain size (maximum). In this case, the nvidia driver is slightly larger than expected. A simply registry entry will resolve the issue in WinXP (the issue doesn't occur in Vista).

To resolve the problem, do the following:

Open the registry editor (regedit)

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Add a new REG_DWORD entry called SessionImageSize with a value (decimal) of 20

Reboot

The Type 1 fonts should now open/install without any problems.

--- End of HP email ---

I did what was suggested and was I able to install my Type 1 fonts.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 11:56 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Dave:

THANK YOU! It worked.

I'll be sure and forward the fix to Dell's tech group that was about to have me return my Vostro and upgrade to a workstation class laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 12:16 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Glad to hear it worked for someone else, on a different brand of computer. Hopefully this can work for everyone having the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 11:32 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    This is fascinating news. Thanks for sharing!

T

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2008 7:13 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    I have just purchased a Dell Precision 4400. When I tried to install my Type 1 fonts, I kept getting the error message: "the *.PFM file is either invalid or damaged". This is a disaster as we have thousands of files with Helvetica.

Early this morning (Saturday!), I got a call from a terrific Dell tech, Cyndi Fleck. I had sent her the link to this Adobe forum topic. She took over my laptop and did the registry change in #65 (I'm such a chicken about the registry) and the Type 1 fonts loaded like a charm.

Thank you so much Dave Ingraham as I would either have paid an IT expert to TRY and solve this problem, or sent the laptop back assuming it was defective.

Cyndi said she would distribute your solution to other Dell techs so you are likely going to help many others by sharing your knowledge here. I know you saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2009 1:50 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    This is absolutely amazing! You guys have no idea how long this has been a thorn in my side. I could never figure out what my problem was other than it HAD to do with the nVidia drivers. I even formatted my machine a number of times to gain access to my fonts. It was to the point where I was losing all of the fonts required to do my job.

The fix in post #65 worked perfectly! All of my Type 1 fonts install without a problem and everything is working great! This was on an Lenovo (IBM) T61p with the latest Lenovo nVidia driver.

Personally, I have never liked nVidia cards or drivers that much. I greatly despise their drivers. All of my non-work personal computers run ATI cards and the driver set (especially custom drives) are amazing!

I will never purchase an nVidia card unless I have no other choice.

Thank you for this post....I only hope nVidia will get off their butt and create a better driver that doesn't break our systems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2009 7:42 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Just to make sure that I give credit where credit's due, the fix was provided to me by a guy in HP tech support named John Camparone. John saw the problem I was having, but nVidia tried to tell him that they didn't. He ended up overnighting a laptop to them to prove that the problem existed. It took a few for them to come up with a fix, but John kept me in the loop the entire time.

I've had issues with HP tech support in the past, but John really went above and beyond with this problem. Thanks John!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2009 3:44 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    yay John!

For what it's worth, I have now provided a lengthy explanation of ALL FOUR of the reasons I know for a complete inability to install any/all OpenType .otf and "PostScript" Type 1 fonts on Windows, in a blog post here:

http://www.thomasphinney.com/2008/12/19/no-font-install

(currently hosted on WordPress.com, but I recommend linking the above permanent URL instead)

Cheers,

T

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 2:07 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Just wanted to let everyone know that this fix (#65) also applies to ATI video cards because that just fixed the OTF problem for me as well. Running Windows XP x64 with 8 gigabytes of ram. thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 2:54 PM   in reply to (fcastro)
    Glad it worked. And thank you for adding additional valuable information!

- Herb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 11:41 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    I'll update my blog post to note that the problem is not specific to Nvidia, thanks!

Side note: 8 GB of RAM? That's gotta be expensive... I was just looking up memory prices for my HP HDX18t laptop. There are two slots, and a 2 GB module is $40 or $50, but a 4 GB module is $340. Ouch. I am reminded of why I decided to get it with 2x2= 4 GB total RAM.

Cheers,

T

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 9:49 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Toby: Would you mind (for a very non-technical user) providing a step-by-step instruction on what exactly you did? I have your exact Dell laptop latitude 6500 running Windows XP Professional and same NVidia Quadro NVA 160M.

Thanks!

Alice

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 6:25 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    Hi, the registry fix #65 also worked for me, XPhome 32bit OS and an ATI Fire GL 5600 pro video card.
    Many thanks indeed, saved what could have been a major problem at the start of a PC build, inability to progress any further with the build without fonts !

Whilst here on a thread fcastro may come back to, I shall ask, you mention 64bit XP, wiki says installer for ATM doesnt work on 64bit, what are the steps to resolving this, or what Font manager do you run ?

Envirographics

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2009 9:50 AM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    I have just experienced the same issue on the lenovo T61. Thank you so much for post #65!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2009 2:36 PM   in reply to (Thomas_C_Rogers)
    > > the registry fix #65

I have nVidia card (8600GTS), though the (WinXP SP3) PC is DIY, and I noticed some odd behaviour with T1 fonts after I updated the vid card driver but didn't connect the two until I read this thread.

I arrived at this thread like lots of others who were trying to install a Type1 font and kept getting the "invalid or corrupt" error, which was clearly false. I know I was installing from an ancient 1993(?) 720KB floppy, but the disk checked OK on every other count.

I amended the registry as per post #63 but it didn't seem to work, but I was able to install the T1 fonts in safe mode.

So a big thank you to all you guys, and I now have some rather old T1 fonts installed and all is well with an old InDesign publication.

Diolch yn fawr!

Iechyd da! John
    22:36 26/03/2009 GMT

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)