Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Latest DNG converter not working in command-line mode

Nov 9, 2008 12:17 PM

Today I downloaded Adobe's latest DNG converter. It is failing with both .NEF and .CR2 files when run in command-line mode. It does appear to work in GUI mode. The switches+arguments I've used for my tests are:

-u -e -p1 filename.CR2

(or filename.NEF)

With an older (CS2) version of the converter, the above arguments produce a .DNG output file as expected (with .CR2 files; I didn't try it with D3 .NEF files; surely that older version doesn't support the D3's format).

With the very latest version, running the program with the above command produces no output. There's no error message.

The 'readme' file that comes with the converter doesn't include any information about command-line usage, but I did find a PDF file covering this (adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_commandline.pdf). The switches+arguments shown in the PDF file appear to be exactly the ones I used in the past.

I'm sure I'll need to use the most recent version to convert D3 RAW files. Is there something wrong with how I'm specifying its command-line switches/arguments?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2008 6:26 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    Macintosh or Windows? What command line shell are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 2:52 PM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    Try typing a full path to the file and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2008 8:27 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    Recent version of the DNG Converter for Windows have required full path names in command line mode (rather than allowing paths relative to the working directory). I have just fixed this in the code and the fix will appear in the next release (5.2).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 6:45 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    I have another issue that has been asked previously but not addressed. I'm trying to use the -d switch to specify that files should be saved in C:\RAW_Destination. I have used the following command variations:

1. C:\[path to DNG exe]\Adobe DNG Converter.exe -d c:\RAW_Destination c:\RAW_Source

2. C:\[path to DNG exe]\Adobe DNG Converter.exe -dc:\RAW_Destination c:\RAW_Source

3. C:\[path to DNG exe]\Adobe DNG Converter.exe dc:\RAW_Destination c:\RAW_Source

4. C:\[path to DNG exe]\Adobe DNG Converter.exe d c:\RAW_Destination c:\RAW_Source

Variation 1: does not run
    Variation 2: runs without the correct destination directory, but with the correct source directory
    Variation 3: runs without the correct destination directory, but with the correct source directory
    Variation 4: thinks the destination I've specified is actually another input parameter

What is the correct syntax for the -d parameter? Is there a dash before, and a space after? Do I need to separate the parameters from the input files with some character?

Thanks very much for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 12:20 PM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    That's fascinating, Mike, since that's exactly what I've been trying.

I verified that I am in fact passing the fully qualified path. But, oddly, the app fails silently if I pass _any_ parameter (even -p1) between the EXE name and the source file path. Something must be wrong.

I neglected to mention that I'm using WinXP--what platform are you on? I ask because the Windows executible is just called "Adobe DNG Converter.exe"--no version.

I saw your earlier message on processing a folder full of NEF files and that you've considered using a for loop to accomplish this. I can get the converter to launch by pointing at a folder and not individual files, and the converter parses the entire contents of the folder and subfolders (provided you've checked the box). I still have to hit the "convert" button, though.

Thanks again for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2009 12:27 PM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    I think I know what's wrong: If I open a command prompt (not using a script this time), navigate to the directory that the converter is in, and type:

C:\UTIL> "Adobe DNG Converter.exe" -c

...it won't launch. Same with any parameter. If I omit the parameters and pass a source path, it's fine. This happens with -p1 or -d, as well--all of the supported parameters.

I'm using converter version 5.2 on WinXP SP3.

I can probably find a way around this, but I figured I'd report it in case there's a bug lurking underneath this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 8:09 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    OK, I've finally decided that I have to ask this questio. I'm sure the answer is obvious to many of you. But what is the big deal about running the DNG converter in command line mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    Mike_Arst@adobeforums.com wrote:

> Fun stuff. :)

Back in my application development days, it was glaring obvious when a command
    line geek wrote a GUI app and when a GUI geek wrote a command line app. This was
    especially true in Unix-land where there are defacto standards for stuff like
    error messages and exit codes.

-X

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 9:20 AM   in reply to JimHess-8IPblY
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com wrote:
    > But what is the big deal about running the DNG converter in command line mode?

The question is not quite precise, so I'll give you two answers.

1) It's a big deal (big problem) because it doesn't follow the conventions used
    by the vast majority of command line programs.

2) ACR is not scriptable in any meaningful sense (unless you open docs in PS and
    toss your performance out the window), where as DNG converter kinda-sorta is, at
    least for the task of converting raw files to DNG files, which is a big deal for
    those of us who like to construct highly automated work flows.

-X

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 12:41 PM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    > it's what I do at work all day long.

It pays for my toys :)

> With converter 5.2 not supporting wildcards, I'm beginning to wonder if I should resurrect my little project to create a command-line wrapper for the thing, "faking" batch processing.

Most of my work is JavaScript in Photoshop, so I write JS to get around the
    shortcomings of various CLI apps, include the DNG Converter.

> Figuring out a way to ensure that the app is visible to/discoverable by the "wrapper" script on every possible machine would be a challenge

You would have to make it a configuration setting. Prior to this last release,
    there was no standard installation folder for the converter. And a lot of people
    move it to their desktop anyway as a drop target.

> likewise, devising a CLI that'd work for just about everyone wanting to use such a tool.

I've thought about implementing one, but I'd end up scripting in Bash. My
    primary platform is a Mac Pro and I have cygwin installed on WinXP and Vista.

-X

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2009 11:34 AM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)
    EXIFTool only modifies the files Metadata but not the image of the file types that it can read and write, of which DNG is one that can be read and written.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 1:32 PM   in reply to (Mike_Arst)

I see this is a very old post but I need some help now

C:\DNG\ad.exe -c -p0 -cr7.1 -d D:\DngOUT D:\\Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001\Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001_000000.dng

It will exit silent, no error, no conversition take place, if I remove the space from the folder and the filename it works fine, anyone have a workaround of this  ??

C:\DNG\ad.exe -c -p0 -cr7.1 -d D:\DngOUT D:\Blackmagic_Cinema_Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001\Blackmagic_Cinema _Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001_000000.dng"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 2:08 PM   in reply to dezso:

Solved my problem !!

C:\DNG\ad.exe -c -p0 -cr7.1 -d D:\DngOUT "D:\\Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001\Blackmagic Cinema Camera_1_2013-11-29_0709_C0001_000000.dng"

Qoutation mark in the begeining and the end of the fine being connverted solved it for me...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)