Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lost changes to DNG when opening in Photoshop CS3

Dec 8, 2008 3:06 PM

I am losing changes that have been made to DNG files when opening these files in Photoshop CS3. I added my Canon CR2 RAW files to Lightroom, made changes to the images in Lightroom (exposure, contrast, color correction, etc) and then exported the images as DNG files. Now, when I open any of these DNG files in Photoshop CS3 or Lightroom 2.1 all of the changes are completely lost. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 8, 2008 3:53 PM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    You're not telling Lightroom to write the adjustments to metadata, so Lightroom is keeping them in its database only. Ask in the Lightroom forum how to set that application to write the adjustments to the DNG file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 9, 2008 12:31 AM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    >So you what you are telling me is that even though Lightroom

I am absolutely saying no such thing . My response was based entirely on advice given to others by others more knowledgeable in LR than I, advice which has always been followed by the even stronger advice to consult with the Lightroom forum.

Yours is not the first report about not being able to see the edits in ACR. For some reason I seem to remember that it's mostly Windows users rather than Mac users who have the problem.

>does not actually retain the changes in a way that Photoshop can use them?

You mean ACR. Photoshop and Bridge cannot open raw or DNG files, only ACR can, hosted by either Photoshop or Bridge.

Check with the ACR forum and with the Lightroom forum in any event.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Dec 9, 2008 12:32 AM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    Incidentally, did you update your ACR plug-in to ACR 4.6?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2008 3:44 AM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    Select the file and press Ctrl/Cmd S to save the metadata edits to the DNG in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 12:27 PM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    Yes, please post a problematic DNG.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2008 8:00 PM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    I looked at one of the problematic DNG files you posted. It looks like some non-Adobe software was the last software to write to these DNG files, since it contains a combination of tags that Adobe never writes.

Did you use some non-Adobe software to add metadata to the DNG file? Photo Mechanic perhaps (there are some signs of that in the embedded XMP)?

Edit: Reading back through your message it appears you are a Photo Mechanic user. It appears that Photo Mechanic wrote its metadata into the DNG file after you exported it from Lightroom. The metadata that Photo Mechanic wrote did not include the conversion settings, so they were deleted in the process.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2008 5:44 AM   in reply to (jbfoto)
    I don't know. (I don't even have Photo Mechanic installed). My suggestion would be to do some experiments with copies of files. Export a DNG from Lightroom and then try doing stuff to it with Photo Mechanic and see if you can reproduce the problem. If you can, please come back and post steps. Also, please report the issue to the makers of Photo Mechanic.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)