Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wish list for Encore

Oct 18, 2006 11:29 AM

I don't see a wish list category here so maybe we could start one.

My number one irritant in Encore 2.0 is the default ON of "Sync Button Text and Name." This in on by default and it should be off or unchecked in my opinion.

I do all my menus in Photoshop and import them into Encore. My buttons are all set. Then when I start assigning buttons to timelines I forget to uncheck this and it screws up my PS buttons by changing them to whatever I called my timelines. I really hate this. Thank goodness for undo, but when a default is never what you use, then the reverse should be the default. At least that's my two cents worth.
Thanks,
Steve@Garman.Com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2006 12:12 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    3. Buttons over video
    2. FF/REW in the Preview window
    1. A magical way to have seamless playback of sequential chapters in a Chapter Playlist, even when the chapters themselves have end actions. The DVD spec be hanged!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2006 2:36 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    I agree,

I'm amazed this isn't one of the options in preferances. So many of the big bugs have been fixed, this could be a useful feature if all the templates had names like "Main Menu" which obviously they can't cos you'd only have one template!

I waste now about 10 minutes going through on each project having to retype text that has been the same for years - tiny but easily fix, so come on adobe please!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2006 10:38 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Completely agree about the sync Button Text & Name option.
    There is a fast way to do this - go to your menu details, highlight every button at the same time and untick the option in the menu properties.
    You have to remember to do this immediately though.
    Should
    i definitely
    be a preference.

My wish List?
    1 - Buttons Over Video, both in Movies & Slideshows.
    2 - Fix the Chapter Playlist bugs.
    3 - Add a way to write custom VM commands
    4 - Include Scripting for GPRMs (This should include Bitshifting)
    5 - Improve the Layer Break dialogue
    6 - Make the start sector for Video_TS.IFO 640 sectors in.
    7 - Include an implementation of eDVD - or something very much like it
    8 - Add a way to re-order the VTS items
    i after
    timelines have been created.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2006 10:46 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Neil,
    I agree with one addition. ctrl-c and ctrl-v should work everywhere. You should not have to right click and select cut/copy and paste from a menu.

If your list was granted, you would basically have gold-old dvd maestro in a much more stable platform. You have my vote.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2006 1:21 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    What is bitshifting?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2006 3:34 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    > What is bitshifting?

Basically, The commonest usage is to create a jukebox type feature in a music DVD. It is using the GPRM registers to create a personalized & unique playlist in an alternative order to the one the author originally intended.
    The best example is on Bowie's "A Reality Tour" DVD, where you can pick up to 8 tracks in your own order for playback.

It's just one of the tricks that can be pulled off with full access to GPRM and VM commands as well as custom Pre & Post commands.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2006 12:29 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Oh, that is cool.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2006 9:41 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    posted this earlier in another thread until i found out that this is where i should have posted.

so here is my list:

1. The ability to import power point slide shows into encore as a slide show. This would make it really handy to import some ones previously created slide show and turn it into a DVD slide show. It doesn't have to do all the fancy animations or transitions, just import the slide shows. Yes I know I can export from power point to jpgs. Have you really looked at the results? Crap is all I have to say. Of course I could recreate them in Photoshop or some other program that lets picture and titling be created. You know how much extra time that step costs?

2. Could you make a project manager for encore that is similar to the one in premier? I would like to be able to trim the project and remove "temporary files". I especially hate the number of temporary menus that accumulate in the menus folder. I want to be able to back up the necessary files only, not all the junk. it would also be nice if it would grab the video(I) that make up the project and compile them in to the folder that I designate as the new project folder, just like premier does.

3. its not really to hard to now, but it would be nice if there was some method for telling encore that you are creating an Easter egg. Currently there are a few steps to doing it and it is all manual. It would be nice if you could designate a button as being an Easter egg and then tell encore which choice of ways you want it to handle it. For instance is it just a simple Easter egg where you go on the right direction on a button and viola, you found it. Or is it a button that you go to and it goes to a duplicate menu and then you need to hit the right button a couple of times and then viola, you found it. Any thing to make my DVD creation to have a few less steps.

6. Another thing that I think encore needs has to do with the flowchart. Give me some zoom on that baby. I like it, but it would be nice if I could zoom out to look at the overall structure.

7. The ability to normalize the audio across the entire DVD. My wife made a disc and some parts were loud and others were so quiet. It would be nice to not have to do this for each clip before in premier, but leave it till the final stage of DVD production so that it only has to be done once.

more to come :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2006 12:58 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    I'm not sure how the normalisation thing would work, surely you'd get closer to the results you want with a more manual approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2006 4:24 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    I'd like to see the option for multiple video angles. It's available as a feature in Sony DVD Architect.

I also like Alan's idea of the easter egg.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2007 5:55 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Ability to verify that a DVD disc was written correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2007 6:11 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    1. Dynamic Link on Premiere Projects
    2. Multi-angle DVD
    3. BOV
    4. Seamless Playlists (when done from AVI)
    5. Real FF and REW in preview with sound
    6. Jacket support (JACKET_P Folder)
    7. GPRM Programming
    8. Slip tool on menu thumbnails to select poster frame

About normalization, what I do is use Dynamics Processing from Audition. You then record a one shot as a macro. Finally, you run a batch job using this macro. Quite efficient IMHO ;)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 11:10 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Encore 2.0 is missing one of the most basic and important features:

When you click "Animate" buttons for a menu, this turns it into a motion menu. Encore renders all motion menus at 8 mbps, and cannot be changed. (I have done tests and verified time after time) This wastes a lot of space on the DVD if you have just 3-4 motion menus. Imagine if you had 10 motion menus.

All other assets have Transcode Settings. Motion menus are the lone exception. Is there something special about motion menus that Transcode Settings couldn't be implemented? Is there a reason why motion menus must be rendered at 8 mbps while everything else can have different bitrates? Is there something technological that Adobe can't get past?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 11:23 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    >Is there something technological that Adobe can't get past?

No...just not very many users have asked for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2007 6:33 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Why doesn't Encore allow me to burn multiple discs at the same time? I have three burners on my PC and most programs I use allow me to burn multiple discs at the same time. Typically, when I finish authoring a DVD I need three copies for the client review process. It would sure be nice when I choose 3 copies in the Encore Build process to be able to then choose three burners and have the three discs I need in the time it takes to burn one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 11:29 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    I want to be able to have a different slideshow panel for each slideshow. seems kinda dumb to be all stuck in the one pane. i was just trying to move pictures from one slide show to the next. seems that there isnt even the ability to cut and paste. ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2007 11:47 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    here is another idea...

in after effects or premier I can remove something from the project list and it ask if I am sure I want to remove it from a project or just does it.

why cant encore do the same?

it really baffles me how I can do something in one program in the production suite and the behavior when I try to do something in another program is totally different. Microsoft also has this problem with its office suite.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2008 5:03 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    > I want to be able to have a different slideshow panel for each slideshow. seems kinda dumb to be all stuck in the one pane.

Seems Adobe isn't as dumb as you think. Edit>Preferences>User Interface. Check the box for Slideshows under "Separate Viewers For". If you want to see more than one SS at a time, then Ctrl+Drag a SS viewer to create a floating panel.

It's generally best to ask for help instead of rolling in hot with your guns blazing.

PS - your idea to cut/paste/Drag'n'Drop slides from one slideshow to another would make a good feature request. Be sure to file one here:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2008 7:43 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    sorry...

thanks for the help. I have been having trouble with so many pieces of software lately just kinda bundled all my frustration in to one post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 3:41 PM   in reply to AudioEditor
    Add to the list:

Support for Volume and Chapter titles (VMG_VTS_ATRT)

My Sony jukebox has a Folder view, which shows all the DVD's Volume title, Comments, and Genre. To get the info on a disk, I have to:

1. Build a DVD folder

2. Use a utility to add the information.

3. Burn the disk using an external burner such as Nero.

It would REALLY be nice if Encore would collect the information, and add the ATRT sector.

Parental Control (VMGM_PTL_MAIT)

Same sequence to create as above.

I don't really NEED it, but it would be a good addition to the product, and the functionality (and probably the additional code) are a fit for adding both at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2008 6:19 AM   in reply to AudioEditor
    What utils do you actually use to do that? Thank you for the information :)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2009 10:25 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

We should be able to utilize our multicore processors throughout the whole suite.  With more graphic cards having multiple processors and streams, we should be able to use those assets when rendering and building a project in Encore.  I know that Encore uses Adobe Media Encoder, and so many people have complained about its slowness.  I would agree that if Adobe gave us options to speed up this process that should aleviate all woes when building a project to dvd/blu-ray.

May I suggest using another authoring tool besides Roxio for burning projects.  This has been a sore spot when using the suite.  Other programs that I use to burn dvd/blu-ray don't take more than 30 mins, even for blu-ray, but when burning a project on Encore, I have seen it tell me that it would take 55 days!!!  I know that it has something to do with AME, but I can't tell my client that they can get their project in 2 months!  That's just unacceptable.

So, let me summarize:

1. Multicore/GPU utilization in the entire suite

2. Increase AME rendering/processing of projects

3. Use another dvd/blu-ray authoring program besides Sonic Authorcore (Not Good IMO)

Thanks for reading my rant.

Halfpint1210

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2009 6:43 AM   in reply to (bkqc)

(bkqc) wrote:

1. Dynamic Link on Premiere Projects
    2. Multi-angle DVD
    3. BOV
    4. Seamless Playlists (when done from AVI)
    5. Real FF and REW in preview with sound
    6. Jacket support (JACKET_P Folder)
    7. GPRM Programming
    8. Slip tool on menu thumbnails to select poster frame

About normalization, what I do is use Dynamics Processing from Audition. You then record a one shot as a macro. Finally, you run a batch job using this macro. Quite efficient IMHO

With the first one crossed out aswe now have this in CS4....

2 - Multi-Angle = Yes, please.

3 - BOV = Yes, please

4 - Seamless playlists from AVI = impossible due to the non sequential play order. If the 2 titles are consecutive chapters in a timeline, then they ought to play seamlessly (but this would require GPRM/SPRM programming with Level 3 commands)

5 - How about I-Frame only software playback, as is done in Scenarist?

6 - Absolutely.

7 - Absolutely

8 - Don't we already have this in a way?

I would also like to add more extensive support for DTS audio in Blu Ray titles, along with the ability to REPLICATE Blu Ray projects as until these are done the Blu Ray creation is frankly fdor consumer use only and not even semi-pro, which is sad given the capabilities of the authorcore & Premiere Pro. DTS needs to be supported all the way up to 7.1 dtshd Master Audio.

Preview would be nice but if you own the DTS-HD Master Audio Encoder suite then you will also havbe the DTS-HD StreamPlayer which will proof for you

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2009 8:17 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

I would agree with you Neil, dts needs to be supported from begining to end.  What if you wanted to edit something in PrPro, you cannot do it.  CS4 is a good suite, but there needs to be some upgrades/changes, especially in the rendering area.  Like the ability to tap into the GPUs from Ae, Pr, and En.

But, we will see in CS5 (maybe)

Halfpint1210

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2009 7:08 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

My two cents:

1. An easy way to build "auto-activate button highlights" which basically mean that you can do any any kinds of highlights without limitations. I'm under the impression that some other dvd-athorization programs can do this automatically. At the moment creating this in Encore requires a lot of work and planning.

2. Collect files, a similar feature to After Effects which collects all your assets and files required for a project in one single folder in order to make transferring your project to a different computer easy.

3. Fix the annoying black frame/flash that appears in flash websites created with Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to AudioEditor

One more thing:

It would be nice to reverse the playback of a video in Encore. This way you wouldn't have to render two versions of the same video (one playing forwards and one playing backwards)  to use it a animated transition between menus.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 10:38 AM   in reply to AudioEditor

Hello,

1) The ability to stop .cfa and . pek conforming files (stop exessiv cache files, it's crazy) and tool for erase files that aren't use in  Encore project.

2) A way to update flash project without have to re encode all the project, better integration of nvidia gpu to encode h264 quickly.

4) The ability to change size for flash export, and a way to integrate others button during video play back (rewind, loading bar etc....like real dvd player)

3)Better Files organization for Encore project ( for exemple, if you delete your menu in encore even without save project you will loose your menu definitively....)

Bye

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 9:18 AM   in reply to rudo_fr

For your #2 read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/556055?tstart=0

Of course, there is no idea WHEN this new code will be added to Premiere or Encore, but at least the intention has been stated

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 3:11 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Thanks John for the link and your answer,

There is matrox solutions too for accelerate h264 compression (Compress HD card for 550$ or Mxo2)

Bye,

Rudo_fr

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)