When you attempt to reinstall or update an Adobe Creative Suite 3 application, the program installer or update installer returns the error message "The update cannot be applied to the product. Please re-install the product and try again."
You deleted, moved, or altered one or more files that were installed during the original installation. For example, if you deleted, moved, or renamed a Creative Suite 3 application's Read Me file, then you may receive the error message above when you try to install an update for that application.
The patcher log file on your system may also include lines similar to the following:
- 07/03/07 14:43:02 ERROR File to be patched is not present on the target machine.
- 07/03/07 14:43:02 ERROR File operation failed.
Solution 1: Move .patch files out of /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers. (Mac OS only)
- Quit all open Adobe applications.
- Create a new folder on your Desktop.
- In the Finder, navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers.
Note: This folder path refers to the Library folder at the root level of the startup disk, not the Library folder inside a user's Home folder.
- In the Installers folder, locate all files that have the extension .patch. Move these .patch files into the folder that you created in Step 2.
- Start the program installer or the update installer.