Skip navigation
GwenH
Currently Being Moderated

Where Does Eclipse Store Project Names?

Dec 9, 2008 2:51 PM

In multiple attempts to get Eclipse to work with CFEclipse (which I've addressed in other posts), I've uninstalled and reinstalled both several times. I uninstall Eclipse and CFEclipse by deleting the files in C:\Eclipse, the folder I unzipped the Eclipse files to. But after I uninstall and then reinstall, when I attempt to create a project it tells me the project "overlaps the location of another project". How can that be, when I've uninstalled the program? There should be no projects defined at this point. Therefore, I need to know where I go to edit the Eclipse list of projects. Apparently it isn't stored in the same folder you unzip the Eclipse files into.

Thanks in advance,
Gwen H

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2008 5:34 PM   in reply to GwenH
    GwenH wrote:
    > the location of another project". How can that be, when I've uninstalled the
    > program? There should be no projects defined at this point. Therefore, I need

and what about the project dirs themselves? did you clean those out as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 5:41 PM   in reply to GwenH
    Gwen,

It sounds like you need to clear out your workspace. Eclipse uses a Workspace (you can have more than 1) as a central storage for preferences, global settings, projects, and the like. The location of the workspace is typically set when you launch Eclipse for the first time. You'll get an alert dialog asking you to select a workspace and you can check a box to tell Eclipse to use this workspace as the default and not to ask again. On a Mac, by default, it wants to create a workspace in /Users/username/Documents/Eclipse. If I recall correctly from my PC days, Eclipse would look to place your workspace in your "My Documents" folder by default.

The workspace contains a series of files/folders (the important ones are "hidden" files/folders like the folder .metadata, which contains all kinds of useful files/details). It might be fastest to run the following search in Windows: ".metadata". The .metadata folder will be in your Eclipse workspace and is key, I believe, to solving your dilemma.

Inside the metadata folder are more files/folders. Eclipse keeps a list of projects in the following location:
    WORKSPACE --> .metadata --> .plugins --> org.eclipse.core.resources --> .projects --> Folders referencing all your projects are in here

You should be able to remove references to the projects in this folder and restart Eclipse. I have not had to do this for a while, so please be sure to back up everything before you clear it out!

One final note: if your workspace is the same location as your web root or web/CF projects, you might want to move the workspace to an alternate location (projects do not have to be housed in the workspace). I keep all my websites in my web root but my workspace is in another location/folder. I like this separation a bit more but it's certainly not a right/wrong.

Good luck!
    Craig

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 1:06 PM   in reply to GwenH

I am trying to create a new CFEclipse project but I get this: "C:\ColdFusion8\wwwroot\MyProject overlaps the location of another project: 'MyProject'". I deleted all of my old workspaces and this still happens. Some people seem to think it has to do with the CF8 extensions for Eclipse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinsuttle/3422201024/sizes/o/

This is really getting frustrating. Can anyone help?

Flex 3.3 SDK, Flex Builder 3.02, ColdFusion 8.1, Eclipse 3.3.3

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points