Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Detaching sidecars from an image

Apr 9, 2009 10:33 PM

Hi all,

I am having a problem with Lightroom that is making me crazy. I have a few images JPG images that have .hdr or .exr files as sidecars, and I am not able to instruct lightroom to forget about them. If I move one of this jpg to another folder (using lightroom) the hdr file moves along, which I don't want, I want to keep it in another directory. If I move the hdr file to another folder (not using lightroom), then when moving the jpg (using lightroom) it will complain the sidecar is missing. If I could just detach the sidecar from the jpg.....

If you wonder why did I end up with .hdr or .exr files as sidecars (when the manual only talks about .xmp sidecar files!), the come from procesing DNG files into hdr, and then creating a jpg, which I import back into lightroom. My naming convention uses the same name for the .jpg and .hdr files, and that's when lightroom gets confused and attaches the .hdr as sidecar (or that's what I think happens).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Luis

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2009 11:00 PM   in reply to luisico

I simply opened the folder via the Finder (Mac), listed by file type (or size), and deleted the little files in one swell foup.

I believe PC's have the same ability to delete via Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 7:35 AM   in reply to luisico

Do as Sean said to delete the sidecar files. You can make Lightroom forget using its own UI, but only one file at a time: after deleting the sidecar, go to Lightroom, click the question mark and click Forget.

If you want to forget all at once and if you are familiar with SQL open the catalog in an SQLite tool such as SQLiteSpy and run the following statement:

Update AgLibraryFile

set sidecarExtensions = null

where extension like 'jpg'

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 9:38 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Nice Dorin! The one at a time correction is a ridiculous design flaw

So I can just change the file type variable to dng?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 11:37 AM   in reply to Scooby007
    So I can just change the file type variable to dng?

Sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Does this ignore future conflicts or just discard current ones?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2009 12:12 PM   in reply to Scooby007

Does this ignore future conflicts or just discard current ones?

Only current ones, of course. You have to rerun he SQL statemtn for future conflicts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2009 12:34 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

dorin_nicolaescu wrote:

Update AgLibraryFile

set sidecarExtensions = null

Cough, cough... glad that the OP didn't use my advise, since this piece of code is potentially dangerous. It should have been

Update AgLibraryFile
    set sidecarExtensions = ''

That is, one should put an empty string instead of null. Setting the sidecar field to null was the cause of the problem describe here.

My apologies.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2009 2:10 PM   in reply to luisico

Can you not delete them all as per my post, or do you really need to keep some?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 2:38 PM   in reply to luisico

Does anyone know if this has been fixed in V3? I work with HDR & EXR files generated from other applications & don't find either of the workarounds posted here acceptable for the long term. Having to go to the file manager to properly handle such files is typical of the longstanding weakness of Lightroom's relationship witht he file system & having to manage Lightroom's database for it is hardly a very elegant way to go.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points