Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Word has not been started on this computer

May 7, 2008 11:36 AM

I have the Adobe Technical Communication Suite and Microsoft Office 2007 installed on my office computer. My operating system is Windows Vista. In RoboHelp HTML, I have been trying to generate printed documentation through the Single Source Layouts, but I receive the following error message every time: "Microsoft Word has not been started on this computer. Launch Word and click the 'Start using Microsoft Word' option before generating Printed Documentation again."

I have indeed opened Word--many times in fact--and I don't see an option for "Start using Microsoft Word," so I'm stumped.

I am an administrator on the computer, and I installed both Office 2007 and TCS, in that order, on my system.

In attempting to resolve the problem, I have
- Tried to generate printed documentation for both old and new projects
- Tried generating .doc, .docx, and .pdf files.
- Uninstalled TCS and Office 2007 and reinstalled them, with Office 2007 first and then TCS.
- Enabled all macros in Word 2007.
- Removed PDFMaker.dot, according to the suggestion on in the Print Issues section of Peter Grainge's Web site.

None of these attempts has corrected the problem. Interestingly, though, I can import a Word file into my RoboHelp
HTML project just fine.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to resolve this problem, I would be most grateful.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2008 12:12 PM   in reply to mastw
    Welcome to the forum.

I think the only time I saw that, it was a true message!

The combo you have is what I have here so that is not it.

I think when you install there is a right click option Run As Administrator. Have you tried that? I don't think that is it but might be worth a try.

Source and target are local? Again, doubt that is it.

In the Using RH7 article on my site, there is a link to Adobe's troubleshooting guide. For this problem, that might be worth a look.

Wrong message but do you have Open Office installed? Anything unusual about the Word installation? Where does Normal.dot reside?

All installed with the same logon as when you run RH? Shouldn't be necessary with RH7 but who knows with this one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 10:51 PM   in reply to mastw
    I can't say that Run As Administrator will work. Quite simply your problem is one I haven't seen and there is no logical answer that I can think of. Thus it is going to be trial and error.

Does Word default to the Documents directory given that it was moved before Word was installed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 8:26 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    There might be some clue to the problem in this: "I did, however, move my Documents directory to a different partition, but I did so before installing either Word or the Technical Communication Suite."

I don't think the Registry entries required by RH can be accessed across partitions, can they?

Good luck,
    Leon

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 9:03 AM   in reply to mastw
    I think particular folder is OK as it is a Word setting in Tools | Options | Files. That worked OK under XP with RH as I always kept My Documents on the D Drive.

What I was concerned about was that Documents was moved before Word was installed so did it pick that change up. Depends how Documents was moved. I suspect that like My Documents under XP there was a right and a wrong way.

All that said, I'll be surprised if this is the issue.What you have prompted me to ask though Leon is whether both Word and TCS were installed to the C drive?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 10:09 AM   in reply to mastw
    Making some enquiries.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2008 3:05 AM   in reply to mastw
    mastw

I am sorry but I have not been able to find any further information. Have you managed to resolve the Word has not been started problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2008 12:10 PM   in reply to mastw
    There's another thread running on this problem and Colum has reminded me of one possibility I had overlooked. Do you have Open Office installed on your PC?

If so, the answer is in Snippets on my site.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2008 11:36 PM   in reply to mastw
    Can you install on another PC in trial mode with My Documents in the default location?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2008 8:20 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    I have encountered the same error message and after quite a bit of investigation, the error message is not even associated with RoboHelp for HTML. It originates from RoboHelp for Word. I'm only guessing, but could it be that there is a conflict with a shared DLL...?

The installation that I am having problems with is on a client desktop with the following configuration: RoboHelp 7, MS Office 2003, Windows XP Pro SP2. My business laptop (I'm a consultant) has the same configuration and the print documentation process works fine. I am able to get the output I need, but because my client uses version control (VSS) with RoboHelp, I don't like the idea of having to move projects back and forth.

Several other tech writers at the client site have suggested that because the machines are running a CAT client that there may be some conflict (my business laptop is not running any such client), but unfortunately, I haven't had much time to investigate further.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters...

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2008 2:33 PM   in reply to houghstr
    I has the same frustrating problem. I even called Adobe support, and they couldn't help. I then found that opening a sample project in Robohelp for Word resolved it. I was then able to generate printed documentation in RH HTML. While in RH for Word, I generated some help and some printed documentation. Then I closed it and openbed RH HTLM, and all was well. Apparently, using RH for Word helped RH HTML to recognize Word. Perhaps it did something to the registry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2008 3:05 PM   in reply to mastw
    Interesting and thanks for posting the solution.

There was an entirely different problem described in Snippet 40 on my site and opening RH for Word fixed that.

The elves at play again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 10:52 AM   in reply to mastw

Here's the solution I've pieced together from the other responses.

Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHELP

(or whatever root directory path you have) and start "robohelp.exe".

Open a sample project, then close the robohelp window (File > Exit).

You should be able to run the printed documentation feature now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 11:10 AM   in reply to allanpsand
    Welcome to the forum Allanpsand

There's another thread running in this so I will copy your reply there and hope it works. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 2:46 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    Realised a bit late that solution is starting RH for Word. That's already in the other thread.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=6 5&catid=454&threadid=1363595&enterthread=y

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2008 2:46 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    Realised a bit late that solution is starting RH for Word. That's already in the other thread.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=6 5&catid=454&threadid=1363595&enterthread=y

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 4:16 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Hallo,

now I and my colleagues have the same problem - but the trick with starting RoboHelp for Word didn't word. When I try the way about "File/Batch" and select "printed documentation" on the dialog, I got the message "Word VBA Macro version registered is incorrect. Please reinstall Printed Documentation."

We are using RoboHelp HTML 7, Windows Vista and MS Word 2007

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 10:23 AM   in reply to oeri

See Print Issues on my site. It covers various problems with Word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 12:29 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Hallo Peter,

it seems that your site is broken. When I try to select a topic from Menu, I got the "Couldn't find page"-message (i.e. http://www.grainge.org/menu/pages/authoring/printing/printing.htm).

Best regards

oeri

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 1:51 AM   in reply to oeri

If I select from the menu, I get the right page and it does not include "menu" in the path.

What browser are you using? It works in FF and IE7.

Please try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 3:56 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

I tried IE7 and FF - with the same result. But the link in the main-text of your home page "authoring" is working and from there I found a way to http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/printing/print_issues.htm#word_ issues without using the javascript-menu...

But back to the problem: none of the tipps worked. I think it is a registry related issue. I also tried to start RoboHelp for Word with administrator rights but it made no difference. To bee complete I also started RoboHelp HTML and Word with admin rights. It still didn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 4:10 AM   in reply to oeri

Was RH installed with admin rights?

Is your profile on your hard disk?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 4:37 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 4:45 AM   in reply to RoboWizard

Rick

I know. When you select from the menu, is it working for you? It does for me so I cannot work out how anyone would get a path with menu in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2009 4:52 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

D'oh!

Must... Have.... Mass quantities of Coffee!!!

Sorry, somehow totally spaced that. Maybe sleep deprivation.

Menu works fine for me on this end.

Carry on... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 12:46 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

<Was RH installed with admin rights?>

We are a big company and we use an automatic installation tool (Netinstall). One person is installing the product (with admin-rights) and the tool logged all what happened on the machine. Then the colleagues can install the product with only one click. Normally this works fine... With RoboHelp we used the original .msi installation.

I will try to reinstall the product directly

<Is your profile on your hard disk?>

My profile is on a network drive (roaming profile).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 2:08 AM   in reply to oeri

I just reinstalled RoboHelp as Administrator directly with the original installer. The problems are the same. I also tried the trick with starting RoboHelp for Word - but it didn't work.

What can I try now?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2009 2:57 AM   in reply to oeri

On the installation I was going to refer you to Item 19 on http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/using_rh7.htm but now that you have done a direct install, I think that anything there is ruled out.

In any event, I think the problem is related to your profile being network based. I don't know enough about the details of that to guide you other than being pretty sure that is the problem. Hopefull someone else can come in on this or a search will find something.

I think, but am not sure, it is the fact that your Normal template and the RH templates are not on the local drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2009 7:10 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

I've got it! As you assume, Peter, is has to do with the roaming profile. The RoboHelp templates were in the roaming profile (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates - where xxx ist my user name) but in Word they were not activ. I could activate them in Word (in Word-Options / Add-Ins / Manage ... go to) but when I restart Word, they were inactive again.

Now I changed in Word-Options/Extended/General button "path for files" the path for "user templates" and "startup" to directories outside the roaming profile (i.e. c:\robohelp\startup). I copied the RoboHelp Templates (PrintDoc.dot, Style Mapping.dot and RoboHook.wll) to the new "startup"-directory. I started Word and now the RoboHelp templates were active!

ThenI started RoboHelp HTML and tried to generate printed documentation - and now it worked For a short time I could see a message like "waiting for register VBA macros". I think that was the most important thing. But I don't know what happend in the background (couldn't find anything in the registry) Now I changed the path back to my originally roaming profile-directories - and the "printed documentation" still works!

Best wishes

Olaf

P.S.:

I use the German version of Word 2007, so maybe my translations are not correct - sorry

German (what I saw)my translation
    Word-OptionenWord-Options
    Add-InsAdd-Ins
    Verwalten ... Gehe zuManage ... go to
    ErweitertExtended
    AllgemeinGeneral
    DateispeicherortePath for Files
    Benutzervorlagenuser templates
    AutoStartStartup

I believe, in other cases the start of "RoboHelp for Word" did the same thing - register the VBA macros - Don't know, why it didn't worked in my case

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2009 11:00 PM   in reply to oeri

Oeri:

So if I have got it correctly the steps were:

1] Copy the RH templates to a temporary local folder.

2] In Word, point the User templates to that folder.

3] Run RH and the "waiting to register VBA macros message will run.

4] In Word, point the User templates back to the original folder.

One thing I would suggest is renaming the folder in [2] to see if things still work. Otherwise it could be that RH is still relying on those templates rather than the ones Word has registered.

Perhaps you could try that and post back, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 9:17 AM   in reply to oeri

Works for me!  I had problems after I installed RoboHelp 8 on my computer last year and FINALLY I can print from RH. I was so frustrated. Does anyone have the problem of the following message that displays 3 or so times when compiling the printed documentation?

Do I need to change something else?  I didn't write down what the originals paths were...my bad...can anyone tell me where the default paths were pointing to?

Thank you!

error message not related.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2011 11:42 PM   in reply to MSNtechwriter

Sorry but not one I have seen or heard of.

RoboHelp 8 supports up to and including Word 2007.

What problem were you having before you followed the steps in this thread?

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

I was able to eventually produce RH Printed Doc on Win/Word 7 with the method of creating a temporary folder for the RH templates and directing Word to it. It didn’t work the first couple of times I tried, possibly because I didn’t save the Word file after changing the User templates path.  But that was a couple of days after the first attempts, so don’t know if it was something else.

A team member was unable to make it work until I helped her enable macros in Word.

Thanks for your contributions to the problem resolution Peter and all.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 9:25 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

Hello! I too am having this issue but with with RoboHelp 10 and Word 2010. I tried to use these instructions but without much luck...perhaps since Word is a bit different now? I find that when i try to change the default template folder in Word to my temporary folder, it reverts back to the default folder automatically. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 12:15 PM   in reply to latamburro

@latamburro This sounds more like an issue with Word. I am not sure what you mean by trying to change your default template folder to your temporary folder. Why would you want to set that to a temporary folder?

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points