Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extension Manager just crashes

Dec 3, 2008 7:01 PM

New to configurator, I haven't managed to use any downloaded panels yet. Ever time I click an mxp file, extensions manager starts and then just quits with a 'quit unexpectedly' message. I'm using Leopard 10.5.4 on an intel machine. Photoshop CS4 trial.

Could someone help me with this. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2008 1:20 AM   in reply to Markzeb
    Hi,
    We would like to investigate this problem.
    But could you please offer below detail information at first?
    1: Which mxp do you use ? if you can't attach the mxp here, can you send it as an attachement to my email?
    2: The version number of Extension Manager(2.0 or 2.1)
    3: When you are clicking the mxp, is the ExMan already lauched or not?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 5:54 PM   in reply to Markzeb
    It's very nice you can use ExMan 2.1 to fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2009 8:00 PM   in reply to Markzeb

Not sure what you mean by uploading Extension Manger 2.1, do you mean re-install? Mine won't allow me to reinstall 2.1. It crashes every time I use it. No matter what. And there seems to be no fix, but it's certainly a problem Adobe is aware of from what I'm told.

So I just sit and wait for an update to show up. You'd think they'd allow the installer to re-install the latest version if something gets bunged up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 4:56 PM   in reply to Markzeb

I'm having a similar experience. I have EM 2 installed on OS X 10.5.6 CS4, but it crashes right after launch. Unfortunately, there is no way to repair the application. I even tried to load it from my installation disk, but the application is grayed out. I can select it if I choose to reinstall Photoshop CS4 and Bridge, but it seems to be too much to ask right now. Also, a download from the Adobe website gives me an error message stating that the application is already installed even after it has already been deleted. I hope that a new update will address repair of the application.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 6:16 PM   in reply to m2usa

I understand that John Nack is aware of the problem, so I'm assuming it will be addressed.

But how hard could it be to make it so that it will install over itself to fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 7:43 PM   in reply to Hrunga

Thanks for your reply.  It would be great to get it working properly, so I can use some additional extensions for CS4 Photoshop. Do you know what the time frame is for an upgrade to the application?

- Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2009 11:29 PM   in reply to m2usa

You can install the extensions manually if you like. Just check where the currently installed ones are and put them there. (That's what John Nack told me.)

Not sure when an update will arrive. Their big priority right now is to get Photoshop 100 percent cocoa. So that takes precedence. But this affects more than just Photoshop, so hopefully someone will take the time to fix it.

Strange thing is it works fine in one of my computers and not in the other. Both Mac Pros. The 2008 one at home it works fine, the 2006 one at work it doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 1:21 AM   in reply to Hrunga

Thanks again for the fast response. I'm not sure if I can install it manually as I went ahead and deleted the application Adobe Extension Manager from my Mac.  Then again, the machine believes that it is still there, so who knows, perhaps I can install it manually.  Could you give me the default path for installing a new extension on OS X?  I would totally appreciate it.  I'll try to install it on my MacBook Pro as well and see if it works there.  Thanks again.

- Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 8:52 AM   in reply to m2usa

As it turn out, I had it backwards. My home computer's the one where it's broken and work is the one where it's working. (Sad, no, that I can't keep the two separated? :

I'll send myself a reminder to check on Monday.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 4:08 PM   in reply to Hrunga

Thanks in advance. Enjoy the weekend.

- Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2009 12:07 PM   in reply to m2usa

Okay, on my Mac, the path is:

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager2/Configuration/Extensions. Throw your .mxi, .mxi_air and .mxp files in there and it should work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2009 9:32 PM   in reply to Hrunga

Thanks for the suggestion, Eric but I tried placing the latest SlideShowPro extension manually.

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager2/Configuration/Extensions/SlideShowPro_194_AS2.mxp

It doesn't show up in the installed components panel in Flash CS4 and the Extension Manager CS4 contiues to crash when I touch almost anything in its window.

Most annoying: when I click the Help button in the EM CS4 window, it's supposed to open a web page. Even that fails! The URL generates a "Cannot be found message".

The Extension Manager appears to need serious attention.

Mac OS X 10.5.6, CS4 Production Suite

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2009 11:05 PM   in reply to Bill Andersen

Bill,

It turns out that didn't work for me either. The people at SlideShow Pro told me it won't work that way.

Send me your email address to eric AT jphotog DOT com and I will send you the instructions and the components for the latest version of SlideShow Pro for Flash that they sent me. It worked for me in both Mac Pros at work and home.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to Markzeb

Just a note for others having this problem, Safari 4 (Beta) WILL cause EM CS4 to crash non-stop, all the time, without hesitation. Uninstall Safari 4 Beta and you're good.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 6:21 PM   in reply to derbbre

Cool, thanks for the answer. I'm sure someone has told Apple about it. Hopefully a fix will be issued.

As for uninstalling Safari 4, not likely. I'll just live with manual installations until it's fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 7:57 PM   in reply to Markzeb

I have not been able to find a solution to this problem on John Nack's site, and Extension Manager CS4 crashes immediately if I try to use it to install the Pixel Bender plugin for Photoshop CS4.

Run with Terminal, I see that Adobe Extension Manager CS4 "autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking"

Can anyone point to an Adobe link that might help with this? To judge from the dates on these forum messages, the problem has been around for a long time. I hope there's a solution either available now or in the works.

Mac OS X 10.5.7, CS4 Production Suite

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 8:34 PM   in reply to BillAndersen

Billnickname wrote:

I have not been able to find a solution to this problem on John Nack's site, and Extension Manager CS4 crashes immediately if I try to use it to install the Pixel Bender plugin for Photoshop CS4.

Run with Terminal, I see that Adobe Extension Manager CS4 "autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking"

Can anyone point to an Adobe link that might help with this? To judge from the dates on these forum messages, the problem has been around for a long time. I hope there's a solution either available now or in the works.

Mac OS X 10.5.7, CS4 Production Suite

Removing Safari Beta 4 is the only solution I'm aware of.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 8:43 PM   in reply to Hrunga

Thanks Eric. I never installed Safari Beta 4. I almost wish I had, so I could try removing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 5:42 AM   in reply to Markzeb

I've been scouring the forums looking for an answer to the extension manager crash and I can't figure it out. I don't have Safari 4 installed as this is the most common answer I've found. When I launch Extension Manager 2.1, I only get the Extension Manager in the top menu to show. No panel to see what extensions I have installed.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have attached an image with what I am seeing on my mac book pro, leopard 10.5.7. The master collection works fine except for Extension Manager 2.1.  I just can't install any extensions. Thanks for any help.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 5:20 PM   in reply to edHPU

I haven't seen that problem before. I at least get the Window showing what extensions are installed. I'm afraid you need to contact Adobe with that problem. The only problem I've heard about is related to Safari 4. I'm sure there's something related going on that you've hit upon. Something you have that shares a similarity to Safari's problem. I sure hope Snow Leopard fixes it.

I guess you'll have to install your extensions manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 1:33 PM   in reply to Hrunga

Eric and edHPU, I have been exchanging emails with the Extension Manager CS4 team for a few days now, sending information about my Mac and various libraries whenever they make a request, The last batch of info went out yesterday. I must say they have been good about sticking with me and I know that they are troubleshooting. No answer as yet, but I am hopeful. If a solution is found, I plan to ask the team to inform this discussion thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 6:46 PM   in reply to BillAndersen

Thanks for keeping us informed. This is a real head-scratcher. I appreciate your efforts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 4:22 AM   in reply to BillAndersen

Thanks BillNickame. I ended up reinstalling the whole adobe master collection bc i couldnt find a workaround. if you find out anything from adobe, let us know so if it happens again, i dont have to spend a couple hours uninstalling/installing the suite again. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2009 10:40 PM   in reply to edHPU

Most excellent news! I installed the release version of Safari and Extension Manger works again!

Good job Adobe and Apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2009 6:06 AM   in reply to Hrunga

Thank you for the good news, Eric.

I just received help from the EM CS4 team this morning, too. Their solution also works. Here is what I received...

We suspect it has something with plugins inside the /Library/InputManagers.

Please try following steps:

1. Backup all files inside /Library/InputManagers

2. Trash all files inside /Library/InputManagers

3. Restart OS

Finally, we can install CS4 extensions!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2009 6:22 AM   in reply to BillAndersen

Great! Good news.

Seems like an easy fix actually. Thanks for letting us know.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 1:01 AM   in reply to Markzeb

Thought I would put my 2 cents in as well, I was having the same problem and just uninstalled Safari 4 Beta and installed newest release - everything works fine now.

JP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to scatmanshark

When I open Extension Manager, the window doesn't open. When I select About Extension Manager nothing happens. I don't know how to rectify this issue. I'm not able to install extensions or view what is installed. I have Safari 4.0.1 but I don't think this is the issue. It may have happened after Java update.

Please help.

Thanks... Colin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2009 5:25 PM   in reply to toofastdad

You might try installing the latest version, in case yours isn't up to date. And you may have to reinstall your whole Creative Suite. Let us know what happens after you try the first option.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2009 9:29 AM   in reply to toofastdad

My message was deleted here and put in a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 5:54 AM   in reply to Markzeb

The problem stil exists this piece of software not working and no update for it

and it is no correct answer in this tread it's a shame that adobe can solve this

problem we pay a lot of money for their software that's not OK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 7:32 AM   in reply to Markzeb

Solved it.

It started when the latest Flash update removed a preference in an obsolete Macromedia(!) Preferences folder.

Very odd. Recovering the obsolete Macromedia preferences solved it.

Since there is no support from Adobe here I did not feel the need to support Adobe in reporting this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 3:31 AM   in reply to Markzeb

In order to allow the Extension Manager to launch again, you will have to remove the conflicting extension from Dreamweaver MX. The steps for doing this are below:

1. Navigate to the user configuration folder for Dreamweaver MX by going to           
      <Mac HD>: Users: <USERNAME>: Library: Application Support: Macromedia: Dreamweaver MX: Configuration: Extensions
    2. Create a new subfolder called "Hidden".
    3. Move all the MXI files at the root of the Extensions folder into the "Hidden" subfolder online payments. The Extension Manager will now launch.

Note: If you attempt to install extensions into both Dreamweaver MX and Dreamweaver MX 2004 in the future, you may experience this crash again. If the crash returns, follow the above steps.

#Additional information

For information regarding extensions and extensibility, please visit the Macromedia Exchange Help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 5:29 AM   in reply to jessonerik

This is a (very time consuming!) standard error checking procedure which you qoute, but does not always help.

It did not help in my case because somthing in their Flex(?) System that runs the Extension Manager, got screwed up with the last Flash(!) update in combination with left-over Macromedia prefs from old Flash days. Only God and Adobe know, why.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 8:33 AM   in reply to jessonerik

I've never had Dreamweaver MX. So I'm not sure why it would be happening to me. But my problem was fixed a while back anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 9:36 AM   in reply to jessonerik

I've never had Dreamweaver MX too this problem is in only in cs4 it's the same problem that was reported by toofastdad

"When I open Extension Manager, the window doesn't open. When I select About Extension Manager nothing happens"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 10:01 AM   in reply to AS1971

It's not about Dreamweaver MX... its about remains of old Flash prefs that were eliminated and not found by the Extension Manager.

No window without. everything normal after rescuing some old macromadia prefs with time machine

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points