Skip navigation
dwestly
Currently Being Moderated

Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo

Apr 18, 2009 4:32 AM

We are a small television station.  When I add a simple logo to a layer, (so that the logo is diplayed when a television show is playing), the rendering time goes from 15 minutes to 90 minutes.  The logo on the second layer was a .psd file, then we tried a .png file.  The .png actually took even longer than the .psd did.  Why does it take so long to render when we are only adding one more layer?  Is there a way to condense this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2009 5:28 AM   in reply to dwestly

Mind reader here: Your system is too slow, your timeline is very long, your OS is burdened with other processes, your watch is running slow, your render format is not correct for the source material or any number of other reasons.

Look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 7:19 AM   in reply to dwestly

That's what I suspected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 7:26 AM   in reply to dwestly

Go into PS and make the logo the acutal size it is going to be displayed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 7:57 AM   in reply to dwestly

When I add a simple logo to a layer, (so that the logo is diplayed when a television show is playing)

That is the most detestable thing that has ever happened to television.  There ought to be laws against it.  Certainly one should have enough integrity to say "no" to doing it, enough to follow through by quitting their job if required to do it.  If all were of such a mind, this vile practice would be rightly non-existant.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 10:18 AM   in reply to dwestly

Mind reader here again:

1. Your timeline is over 180 minutes, not 30 minutes.

2. Why else would you use such bad encoding settings?

3. 90 minutes of render time for a 180 minute timeline is not bad with your specs.

4. Why are you reluctant to specify accurately what you do?

5. Do you understand encoding?

6. Follow Jim's advise.

7. If you don't give an accurate picture of what you do, be prepared for several weeks and a multitude of posts before you get your answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2009 5:44 PM   in reply to dwestly

It seems to me that this is an ideal time for a hardware solution (being an ex hardware engineer).  Of course I do not know TV hardware so I can not give you a specfic solution but it sure seems like it should not be to difficult to in real time insert the live logo rather than having a never ending rendering problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2009 8:52 AM   in reply to dwestly

just adding one layer in Premiere it does make rendering very very long, I am surprised.

It's not surprising, really. You're asking PPro to do more work, which takes longer. Different codecs will introduce differing amounts of work and therefor differing additional times.

A good test would be to create a new, standard DV project. Import a standard DV clip. Export approximately five minutes and time it. Add the logo over the original five minute section and export it again, timing it again. What is the difference in time?

Cheers
    Eddie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)