Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

VersionCue.dll missing in CS4

Dec 4, 2008 2:09 PM

Hello,

I'm a brand new Adobe user who just purchased CS4 Production Premium.

I wanted to batch process a bunch of jpegs using a custom action I created in Photoshop. I created an action to change the brightness/contrast to 20/100 respectively. I then used Bridge to select a series of Jpegs and then ran Tools->Photoshop->Batch and chose my custom action. I chose all defaults and hit okay and I get this dialog box:

Error: The specified module could not be found. C:\Program files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0\VersionCue.DLL

What is this thing and where do I get it?

Thanks for any clues
-Julie

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2008 9:43 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    No need to be sorry, and thanks for posting your successful resolution. It may help others with similar problems in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2008 1:16 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    I'm having the same problem, but I tried to update and it keeps freezing up. I have Photoshop CS4 Extended, Illistrator CS4, Soundbooth CS4, and Lightroom 2.1. I also looked to see if it was there, and unlike the person above, I don't have it.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 16, 2008 10:37 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    i have the same problem any key!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2008 12:50 PM   in reply to (aminoy)
    If version cue was not installed, then call Adobe Technical support.
    Installation issues are handled for free for current versions.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2009 2:47 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    If you run into this problem again you can try this small app I made, just change the installation directory appropriately. It adds the 4.0.0 DLL and works for 4.0.1 too.

http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=52755

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    Hi Gang,

I was having the same problem as you all. I tried all the dll download sites that said they had the file I needed and all I had to do was to "unzip it and install it into the system directory", and of course, none of them worked. And that was while and after I waded through all the registry scanner stuff that came up on my "VersionCue.DLL error" search.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I simply copied the same file that is in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0\

to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\

Actually, I copied all of the files, not including the Dictionaries directory,

VersionCue.dll
    VersionCueSDK.dll
    VersionCueUI.dll
    ExtendScript.dll

that were not in the 4.0.1 directory.

Now, I ended up with these 5 files,

VersionCue.dll
    VersionCueSDK.dll
    VersionCueUI.dll
    ExtendScript.dll
    ScCore.dll

and 1 directory, Dictionaries.

Now all is back to normal, for me at least. I hope this can help others, as well.

Stone
    DomainMasters.NET

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2009 4:28 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    HELP!!! I downloaded and installed the fix from Lim Yau Hui, but have additional problems.

There is a file still missing in 4.0.1 called: versioncueUI.dll.

I have tried to copy the files in 4.0.0. and move them to 4.0.1, but instantly crash when trying to do so, and get a Window Explorer error.

It was suggested that I had a registry issue. So I installed RegCure to find a fix errors. It did not fix the problem.

I desperately need my Adobe to work!! HELP!!!!!

info@synergy-cmc.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2009 4:54 PM   in reply to (C._Ekelund)
    If you desperately need help you should be contacting Adobe Technical
    Support directly! Give them a call on Monday.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2009 5:06 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    @ C. Ekelund: Try copy and pasting ONLY versioncueUI.dll to 4.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    Hi Lim, My issue was I could not do any copy and pasting as my windows explorer crashed. I assumed it was because of the recent scan I had done with RegCure, for some reason. At any rate I was finally able to do a copy and paste after creating a network. So problem solved. Thanks for your input.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 11, 2009 3:08 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    Hi Lim Yau Hui,
    tried that, installed the fix to 4.0.1 - didn't work; but, copied the .dll to 4.0.0 and it did! I've spent nearly 12 hours on this so far, and tried everything else. Well Done Lim Yau Hui!!!
    James

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 4:34 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    Hi, I have been struggling to install CS4 Production Premium. Just about all of the problems seem to center on VersionCue and Adobe Driver -- they won't update (the update program keeps crashing but won't say why) and for awhile, everytime I right-clicked on anything in Windows Explorer, it would crash too. I also had the "can't find versioncue.dll" problem, solved it by copying the contents of the 4.0.0 folder to a new folder called 4.0.1 (it didn't even exist under Programs(X86) until I created it). And I traced the Windows Explorer crashing to Adobe Driver's bad context menu. It can be disabled with a freeware utility called shexview (at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html). This is my third install of CS4 on a brand-new Vista 64 system, hopefully it'll all work now. But Adobe really needs to do something with VersionCue and Driver -- can't believe that they were really thoroughly beta'd, this stuff is obviously broken. And worst of all, I don't even need these apps (it's a stand-alone workstation, no collaberation or workgroups) but Photoshop won't run without them installed. Hope this saves someone else some time, I just killed the whole afternoon screwing around with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    It sounds like you are experiencing an issue which is documented, along with a solution, here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb408524

Sincerely,
    Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2009 12:30 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    @Matthew Laun...
    Thanks for the assist but your "solution" does not work. In Step 2.2 it states:

# Open your startup drive and locate the ProgramData folder. Open this and locate the NTFS junction named "Application Data"....

# Select the "Application Data" junction, and choose Organize > Properties.

When following these instructions, explorer crashes with the following message: "Explorer.exe - The specified module could not be found: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\VersionCue.dll"

This problem has caused me to lose half a day's work. Adobe should get its act together with the install/updater. My computer was working just fine before installing the updates -- the update is much worse than any problem it was supposed to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)
    @Max,
    Oh no. I'm sorry. I forgot that the Adobe Drive extensions will get called from the Organize menu as well. Try this, if it doesn't exist already, create the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\
    Copy the contents from the client\4.0 folder to the new folder. If you still get an error, look for the missing file in C:\ProgramData and put it in the Client\4.0.1 folder.

Let me know if this works, and I'll update the doc.

Sincerely,
    Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2009 4:44 AM   in reply to (C._Ekelund)

Hi, Guys

This worked for me..

Copy the VersionCue from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0\

And apste it into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\

PhotoShop can now open files.

BUT I think, when you update your progs, the file may disappear again from \4.0.0\ !!!

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 7:50 PM   in reply to ianhen

Thanks so much for this information, the Copy the VersionCue from [C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0\] And apste it into [C:\Program Files\Common Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1\] works fine in my 32 bits Photoshop, but my 64 bits photoshop is with the problem.

Please help me to Fix my 64 bits Photoshop

Thanx so much

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 7:23 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

Hey Everyone! I am having sort of the same problem only I think mine is a virus. I could be completely wrong though but whenever I right click on a file, no matter what file I get that error message "The specified module could not be found. C:\Program Files\Common\Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client]4.0.0\VersionCue.DLL" even if an adobe program is not running. I hit okay and it refreshes my entire desktop and I cant get the right click menu on that file because it just freezes. My firewall was turned off too. I have no clue what the heck happened but I think I somehow picked up a virus when I was downloading it. Does that sound like a virus to you guys? I got Premiere Pro and it was working for a few days then started crashing when I started up the program so I tried to re-install it but it is now telling me either the install is unsuccessful or a fatal error has occurred. So I then did a system restore to when things were working great and I got the same thing when I tired installing and only after the system restore am I getting this VersionCue.DLL message.

I am running Windows Vista 64bit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2009 11:58 AM   in reply to drumingdude

Hey drumingdude, have you checked if you have the dll file that your warning asks you about?

Because I had the exact same problem (windows explorer crashing when I right-clicked something, or used key-commands on a file in explorer for that matter, such as ctrl-c or delete).

I didn't have the specified dll file (VersionCue.ddl), but when I ran ran Lim's update fix (see post above) and installed it to the client\4.0.0\ directory in my CommonFiles\Adobe\ catalog everything works fine (just place the dll versioncue.dll which you get from the fix in the location that the warning dislpays for you, might be 4.0.1 if you have ran an update from adoobe).

Probably not a virus you got there, more likely we were victims of adobes hunt for invalid installations...

Good luck, and thanks alot Lim, big luv!!

/p

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 9:17 PM   in reply to yauhui

Thank you Lim_Yau_Hui.

I was looking all  over for this fix and tried all of the above.

Yours worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 10:12 PM   in reply to perarnb

Thank you very much perarnb! I did exactly what you said (the update from Lim) and it works prefectly. I frist did a system restore (before I saw your post) and that worked but my adobe products just started crashing and then I had that fixed then when I went to create a new document in illustrator it said the same versioncue.dll missing error again, but after this update everything works great! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 1:16 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

I am having the same problem and it has brought my Windows XP machine to its knees. No matter what I do it freezes and frustrates.

I don't know who the guy is who keeps suggesting calling Technical Support but it is a waste of time. As I write this I have been ON HOLD for three hours and 35 minutes. And this is after being online with Technical Support for an hour and twenty-four minutes (1:24:00). I followed their instructions and I am worse off now than before!

And if anyone from Adobe is reading this (HA!) my case number is #180954123. To say I am unhappy with Adobe is an understatement. The fact that they sell their products at outrageous sums of money and then cannot even provide INSTALLATION support is abominable. My particular problem was caused by their automatic updater service because I had the program installed and running fine for months and now it is half un-installed and tries to install itself during the uninstall. Yes, you heard me right. During the uninstall I was getting install errors!

Yes indeed, call Technical Support and good luck with that. I thought Microsoft was arrogant and uncaring about its customers, but Adobe is now running neck and neck with them for poor customer support. All I know is that sooner or later Adobe will reap what is sows.

And now I think I have to format my PC and spend two days trying to reconstruct all my applications. Maybe I will install and learn how to use GIMP (free!) instead of Photoshop. And oh yes, I may have to re-consider my evangelism to the world and especially to my university about using Cold Fusion on its servers.

Sign me one irate, unhappy, frustrated, and annoyed customer.

Jim Barrett,

Web Manager

Suffolk University Law School

Boston, Massachusetts 02108

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2009 9:32 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

It looks like several of us are all having a similar issue.  I am having the problem with CS4 Design Premium under Win XP SP3 rather than Vista.  The winexplorer crash when dealing with the 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 folders is particular irritating so I snapped a screen of it in action to show that I am actually trying to copy 4.0.0 even though the error states I am trying to copy 4.0.1:

http://drop.io/liod4ms/asset/400-error-folder-avi

http://drop.io/liod4ms/media

I had a post for my problem at:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432495

*thanks to Oops for suggesting the AVG possible fix, but I even tried an install on a fresh system with no antivirus at all and the issue still persists.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:03 AM   in reply to jason-m

I can also add that I have verified that the problem is not isolated to just one particular machine.  So far, I can continuously repeat the error with both our Dell D630 notebooks and Optiplex 745 desktops.  To test this takes quite a bit of time by the way, when you consider the time to install a fresh OS, install a standard install of CS4, then run updates.

I am very surprised Adobe has not posted an official support issue for this for Win XP users since it seems to be rather prevelant.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 9:30 AM   in reply to Matthew Laun

"It sounds like you are experiencing an issue which is documented, along with a solution, here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb408524

Sincerely,
    Matthew"

Much like my Photoshop CS4,

that link is broken, can you post the solution in this thread?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2009 6:57 PM   in reply to jvonbarrett

The person who wondered if he had a virus was correct--the virus is called Adobe CS4.  Re: Adobe technical support--when I had trouble installing CS2 on Win XP Pro a few years ago, I followed their instructions and my XP ended up a smoldering wreck.  But after reformatting my HD and reinstalling XP, CS2 installed, so i wasn't complaining.  I talked to an Indian woman about my problems installing CS4 on 64-bit Vista Home Premium; as i was following her instructions she asked if she could call me back in five minutes--I said sure, and that was the last I ever heard from her.  Then i opened an issue on the web, and I got an obviously scripted reply that instructed me to use their worthless cleanup utility.  They didn't say it's worthless, but it is.  So now I see that this problem has been kicking around for months, yet their tech support is still clueless.  That is, I got the final bit of advice from other users like myself, not from their vaunted tech support.  I wonder if Adobe management has been taking management lessons from GM, because they seem to be taking the same path, and they'll probably end up like them when some competitor comes along to offer a better product and actually support it.

Now, if you're trying to copy the files from the 4.0.0 directory to the 4.0.1 directory and are having problems because you can't right-click, just hold down the Control key and drag, and Explorer will copy the file(s) rather than move them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 7:50 AM   in reply to kagyu-kid

There is actually something wrong with the 4.0.0 folder (and files within?) after any attempted updates.  After an attempt at an update, the 4.0.0 folder acts as if it was corrupted and all attempts to interact with the folder and files results in the explorer.exe error.  Control + c, control drag, right-click, etc.. all give an explorer.exe error.

There is some bad mojo going on with the updater.  Before any attempted updates, I can basically do anything I want with the 4.0.0 folder (and enclosed files), but after the update it is a complete no go.

I was sent a copy of the 4.0.0 folder and files to go into the update-created 4.0.1 folder, but that did not help either.  I think this is pointing to something either really wrong with the updater or wrong with the original installer itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 3:44 PM   in reply to jason-m

I was able to install Web Premium on my old desktop with XP Pro and SP3 without incident, so it's a problem with their updates for Vista.  What eventually worked for me was to clean up everything as well as possible; I used Ccleaner on the registry--i don't know if it did any good, but at least it didn't harm anything.  My install always stalls on AdobeAIRInstaller.exe, so whenever I got stuck there I killed the process, and then setup would ask me if I wanted to resume or quit.  I clicked Resume, and it was on to the next step.  I had to do this 3 times.  After that was finished I reinstalled Acrobat and Acrobat.com and VersionCue, and I also downloaded Adobe Air and installed it with no problem.  Then I ran iinto the missing dll problem, but it did exist in the Client/4.0.0 folder.  I could email it to you if you need it--it's about 2Mb.  The one I'm talking about is apparently the 64-bit version; it seems to be different from the 32-bit version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2009 10:29 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

I am running Vista 64 Bit, CS4

After trying the free apps mentioned in posts above (none of which worked for me).. I solved the issue by doing the following:

1. Uninstalled Creative Suite completely.

2. Removed all old Adobe common elements folders completely from both Program Files AND Program Files (x86).

<----at this point, the right click error problems went away>

3. Reinstalled CS4, WITHOUT VERSION CUE.

4. Now ONLY USE PHOTOSHOP 32-bit (the version they give you without the X64 next to the icon) Just don't use the 64 bit, toss the icon in trash.

It seems to me they must have known there was an issue with Photoshop, because it is the only software in the Suite that automatically comes with the 32-bit version right along side the 64-bit..?

Adobe should not be sending Version Cue out to 64-bit Vista users. Seems this is a serious, fatal issue with the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2009 12:37 PM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

I used Lim Yau's program and it fixed my photoshop.  It is a shame that Adobe wants you to go through all those steps, which the average person will do and probably wreck their system and yet a very simple program created by a forum user fixed the problem for a number of people, me included.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 11:57 AM   in reply to picartist

I am so angry about this right now I am not even going to bother shouting about it because my post would just get deleted.

After buying Adobe products for years, I now discover that the company has finally grown so large as to be as insensitive and careless about its customers as is Microsoft.

Right now, my Photoshop CS4 is not working and I am losing money while I work on a needless reinstall.  Why?  Because this morning I did the "Update" function to make sure my CS4 was up to date.  The fix instructions call for a total reinstall after which I should try the update again, with no guarantee that the same thing will not happen again.

LESSON LEARNED:  Just in the same way that we have learned to keep Microsoft Updates on Manual to avoid messing up our vital production systems, now we must never use Adobe Updater for the same damn reason.  Neither can be relied upon to fix problems without doing more damage in the process and potentially disabling a formerly working system.

And here I thought all I had to worry about was virus writers disabling my system.  Now I have to worry about the Adobe folks I've paid thousands of dollars to support.  Gee, thanks guys.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 12:29 PM   in reply to Jim Selleck

Yes, don't bother using the Adobe updater, it does not work on CS4. I had to disable it.I purchased CS4 recently too, it appears that there is an issue updating any of the CS4 software. Don't even try until they announce a fix to updater.

Also, do not use 64 bit Photoshop CS4. It has fatal flaws listed above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 12:49 PM   in reply to jamco1968

Actually, since both of my computers are native 64-bit using Vista 64, I can't run the 32 bit version of Photoshop.  It crashes.

Ironically, I may have to install a beta version of Windows 7 in order to be able to run a virtual XP window in order to use 32 bit PS CS4.  How's that for 1 step forward in order to take 2 steps back?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2009 10:50 PM   in reply to Jim Selleck

Hours later....................

I am still in Adobe Hell.  Used all of the methods given with no success, seemingly with problems getting WORSE.  Have now totally uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Production Premium CS4 suite TWICE.  Last time I made the mistake of following Adobe's instructions.  I changed around some Windows permissions then tried the Updater again.  BANG.  Same problem, only after that, if I right clicked on ANY file in ANY directory Windows Explorer crashed.

Great.  Better and better.  About another 30 minutes left until the second reinstall finishes.  This time, I am simply not using Updater on that other computer.  Possibly EVER.

Strangely enough, I have TWO computers side by side.  On the Dell mini-tower running Vista 64, updater is working.  On the Gateway laptop running the same OS, it does not.

That does not compute.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2009 8:53 AM   in reply to (j_l_larson)

I used Liam's program which i find I have to run often to keep ps4 working because of the updater.  As for adobe, I've been around computer programs for the past thirty years and remember how cocky wordstar and visicalc programmers and staff were and now they have bitten the dust.  Liam's program is a simple fix and it's amazing to me that adobe gives you these long and complicated instructions on how to fix their program when he has a simple program that fixes it for most people. Couldn't the almight adobe programmers have done that too?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)