Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Save As PDF

Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with DITA files in Frame 8, and am unable to save a generated Frame file as a PDF. I keep getting these errors:

• "To execute "Save as PDF" command you must have Acrobat Distiller version 5.05 or higher installed."
  • "To execute "Save as PDF" command you must have PDF Job Options defined.

I have Acrobat Distiller 8 installed, so I don't know why I'm getting the first error. I opened Distiller, and still got the error.

Also, I did try to set job options using Format > Document > PDF Setup. On the PDF Setup dialog box, the only job option in the PDF Job Options drop-down list was High Quality Print. When I clicked Set, I got a message stating that "The selected PDF Job Option does not existing in the current installation. Either create this Job Option or select an available Job Option."

How do you create a valid job option? How do you get it to show up in the drop-down list? I looked at the Adobe PDF properties in Print Setup, and the Default Settings show several job options including the High Quality Print option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like FM is not seeing your Acrobat installation properly.

Did you install Acrobat before or after FM? You might want to try running the "Repair Acrobat Installation" option in Acrobat under the Help menu.

Did you by any chance also install the PDF Creation add-on that came with FM as well as having the Acrobat 8 installed? If so, these can not coexist and you have to uninstall the PDF Creation add-on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Arnis,

I work with snoedoc.  We have myriad problems and have decided to divide and conquer as far as our questions.

How do we know if we have the PDF Creation Add on?  We have TechComm Suite 4.0 installed and I see that there is a folder called PDFMaker in the Acrobat 8 folder. Is that what you are referring to?

Somehow, both Snoedoc and I have Acrobat 8 installed three different ways. The folders are named:

Acrobat8

Acrobat 8

Acrobat 8.0

Is this a normal installation? Could that be causing some of our problems?  Our tech support team installed the TechComm Suite and really struggled with it. I am noticing some differences between the contents of the different Acrobat folders.

Also, we seem to be able to select joboptions, but then we get the message that it's not available. What causes that?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have gotten multiple installations of Acrobat components and that has hosed some of the pointers in the Registry that FM is relying upon. I had a similar issue at one point and found incorrect Registry entries pointing to C: drive locations when I had installed on D:.

I'd say the best bet at this point is to uninstall Acrobat 8. Then do a thorough scan to wipe out any folders or Registry entries that pointed to Acrobat. You might want to run Adobe's CS3 clean script, which should get rid of the Acrobat 8 entries. See <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html> and I'd also recommend running Microsoft's Windows Installer Cleanup utility at <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301>

There also is an Adobe CS4 Clean utility, but this will look for Acrobat9.

After the machines have been cleaned, then re-install Acrobat 8 from the TechCommSuite DVD and get make sure that you download all of the patches (auto-update should flag these anyway for you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

I only wish things were that simple.  We do not have the TechComm DVD.  Our technical support did the install for us and I believe it was a download. No one ever got the DVD. We have had a lot of turnover in that department and all information re: the TechComm install cannot be found.  In fact, we have one team member who had to get a new laptop and can't load the TechComm Suite because no one knows anything about it.  If you have any idea who  at Adobe could help us, that would be wonderful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also re-install from the download (provided your IT people kept it around).

However, if you don't have your license info available, then you need to contact Adobe Customer Service. There's a Knowledgebase article on what you can do if you've lost the serial number: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_15292

As far as getting the TCS, you can either download the whole thing again (I hope you have a fast connection) or order a trial disk from the trial downloads page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  I have contacted Adobe about our license issue and hope to hear back from them in the next few days.  We'll let you know how everything turns out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Thank you many times over for your wonderful suggestions.  We have been able to get our licensing issues worked out and will be uninstalling and installing Acrobat 8 using the suggestions that you made in one of your earlier posts. We'll let you know the outcome.

You're a treasure.  Keep up the good work.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary,

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. Hopefully, a new clean install will vanquish any gremlins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your recommendation and used the below program link as a cleaner. It worked and my PDF save problem is gone. However, I am unable to reinstall Adobe Illustrator CS3 which was uninstalled while running the cleanup program. The problem seems to be that there are remnant files left in my Adobe progam files. Any suggestions?

I was able to successfully reinstall Adobe Acrobat.

http://<http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad that your original problem of not being able to save as a PDF is resolved. However, I'm not familiar with the cleaner that you used or the resulting problem. I am sure that one of the wonderful experts out there will respond with a resolution that doesn't have any further side effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse me if I am not doing this properly. I have never posted to a forum discussion. We are a small publishing firm that uses Frame 8 for the composition of a 1400 page directory. We are unable to properly save files to PDF format. I am trying to research fixes for this to help Kim who is the one that actually works in Frame. When she trys to create her pdf portions of the page disappear. The files are manageable in size (each state is saved as its own file). She is currently uninstalling CS3 as well as Framemaker and then plans to reinstall just Framemaker with the patches she has found for 8.0.

Would you be able to help with this at all? If it could prove helpful I am sure she would join the discussion to better answer any questions you have.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sounds like a pretty desperate situation. Been there.

There are a number of questions to ask.  First of all, you say that Kim is trying to save files to a PDF format.  You actually print files to a PDF format.  Select File > Print > and select Adobe PDF from the print options.  This opens up a window with several tabs of information for you to complete, such as bookmarks that you want to display, the print quality, links. etc. Then when you click Print, a postscript file is generated.  Double clicking the postscript file then generates the PDF.  Is this the process that you are following?

Also, what is CS3?  If you actually mean the Tech Comm suite I would certainly encourage Kim to reinstall the entire package, since the components are all meant to work with each other.  

Also, you may want to consider creating a new discussion since it would probably get more responses than just replying to my discussion which is several weeks old. But feel free to continue using this avenue if you think it would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did create the new discussion after I sent this to you. Thanks. Yes,

we re desperate. The directory must be on the printer's FTP by July 28th.

We are not new at this - we have been using Frame since 2001. Last year

with version 7 by saving each file two times (using the procedure you

have outlined below - she would run the postscript file twice and then

run the distiller once) she was able to get the pdf to work. The

upgrade to 8.0 was added to her computer before she began this year's

composition. She tried using the same procedure as last year - but it is

not working.

She tried creating the PDF file in the way the you have outlined and

also she tried using the Save As PDF function from the File drop down

box. Both give the same issues of missing information.

We do not have Tech Comm. The CS3 I referred to is Adobe Creative Suite

3 which includes Illustrator, In Design PhotoShop and Acrobat.

As I said she is currently removing all of the CS3 and both version 7 &

8 of Framemaker from her computer. She was then going to reinstall

Framemaker 8.0 with all patches she has found.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me more specifics re: missing information.  What are the error messages.

You shouldn't have to save a file twice, or run the postscript twice in order to get a PDF.  I wonder what is going on?

Maybe once I see an example of the errors, I'll know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She does not get any actual "error " messages when creating the file. I

am attaching the state of Alabama files so you can see.

She does get font errors when opening all of her fm documents. The

explanation of the error tells her that Frutiger Bold will be replaced

with Frutiger heavy, etc... She has always just ignored this error -

because the replacement font was fine. This is not a new error - it has

happened in the past.

Of course, she understands this may be an issue - but can't quite see it

as the problem.

Maybe by looking at the files you see her issues.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peggy,

The error message when opening the .fm files about the Frutiger Heavy substitution for Frutiger Bold is FM's way of telling you that the actual font that you have on your system has a different weight than specified in the file and FM found the closest match. To get rid of this message, you need to make the substitution permanent by turning off the Remember Missing Font Names in the File > Preferences section and doing a Save/Open cycle to make the changes permanent. You can then reset the preference to what it was.

Regarding the missing PDF content, you need to apply the MS hotfix mentioned here: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2008/07/hotfix_for_framemaker_1.html

It's a system level problem that is being fixed. There's nothing at the FM or Acrobat level that you can do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2009 Jul 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the double posting of the pdf issue - I am new to this.But -I

just wanted to say THANK YOU for your help.. the font issues are cleared

up and the pdf files are being created with no missing text...

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2009 Jul 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is absolutely wonderful news. Deadlines can be so stressful anyway,

but to have issues related to the software makes it doubly so. Now you

can enjoy your weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary K. Greer

Information Developer - Learning Management Solutions

Intelligent Automation Solutions Client Services

pegnomis <forums@adobe.com>

07/17/2009 01:22 PM

Please respond to

clearspace-1800457585-20863-2-2115239@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Mary Greer/CIMG/CVG@CVG

cc

Subject

Can't Save As PDF

Sorry for the double posting of the pdf issue - I am new to this.But -I

just wanted to say THANK YOU for your help.. the font issues are cleared

up and the pdf files are being created with no missing text...

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happened in the past.

as the problem.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peggy,

I didn't get any attachments, but I wonder if that's because attachments

can only be sent to the Adobe folks who are constantly trolling the forums

looking to assist users.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary K. Greer

07/15/2009 02:26 PM

Please respond to

clearspace-1046421661-20863-2-2109954@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Mary Greer/CIMG/CVG@CVG

cc

Subject

Can't Save As PDF

happened in the past.

as the problem.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I upload them to my FTP can you get them there? I would have to give

you the username & password which I would not want to post to the forum.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peggy,

I'm afraid I can't give you my email here at work or I'll be inundated. I

also think it may be against the forum rules. Arnis Gubins of Adobe is

usually active in the forums, so perhaps he will be able to come to your

rescue. I wish I could help. Have you gotten any response to your other

posting? Did you post in two forums: FrameMaker and Adobe Acrobat?

Are you working in regular FrameMaker or structured FrameMaker? Please

try to give me some of the warnings/errors. You're generating from a book

file, right? Have you tried pdfing each chapter separately, then

stitching them together in the pdf. Not the best solution, but a

solution. Also, sometimes if you open all of the chapters in the book and

pdf with them open, that solves the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary K. Greer

07/15/2009 02:51 PM

Please respond to

clearspace-1046421661-20863-2-2110024@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Mary Greer/CIMG/CVG@CVG

cc

Subject

Can't Save As PDF

If I upload them to my FTP can you get them there? I would have to give

you the username & password which I would not want to post to the forum.

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in the Framemaker Structured Forum. I have not received any

further responses.

We are using FrameMaker 8.0. I do not know what you mean by regular or

structured. We actually create a separate file for each state of the

directory. Each file is then made into a pdf file. The pdf files are

then joined together for the printer. Whether using the File Save As or

by using Select File - Print there are no errors received. It seems to

work fine, but when you open the pdf file there is random information

missing.... sometimes graphics, sometimes text.. not always the same if

you delete and start over....

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines