Skip navigation
micric14
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD lite

Apr 20, 2009 1:04 PM

I'm considering buying a new Panasonic still camera which also records & saves video in "AVCHD lite" format and records audio using the "Dolby digital stereo creator". I'm probably being naive to ask but does Premiere Elements 7 accept these formats ? If not, does anyone know of a cheap & cheerful workaround until it does?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2009 1:42 PM   in reply to micric14

PE7 does work with AVCHD files. The one thing to consider is the power of your computer, as it takes a lot of horsepower to process these files. Your enjoyment will be directly proportional to the processing power and to your hard disk setup.

You might want to do a Search on this forum for AVCHD and also look on the fora in Muvipix. There are many articles on editing these files.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to micric14

As Hunt says, PE7 supports AVCHD, however AVCHD Lite is somewhat different than AVCHD in that it is a 720p resolution. The lower resolution allows longer files to be captured and therefore it is finding it's way into stills cameras and in some cases replacing the MJPEG codec. The only issue is that PE7 does not have a 720p project preset for AVCHD only 1080i. Therefore your best bet would be to use it in a HDV 720p project.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 1:52 PM   in reply to micric14

I cannot even read AVCHD Lite from LUMIX TZ7 in Adobe Premiere Elements 4.....

So Not Supported, yet ???

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to dominique92100123

AVCHD was only supported starting with PE7.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 2:21 PM   in reply to Paul_LS

AVCHD is supported by Premiere Elements with VAIO extensions, but only for 1080i footage.

I am talking about AVCHD Lite

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2009 6:14 AM   in reply to micric14

Good News,

Despite what Sony support says !!?!!!

Try the last version of Sony Vegas 9, it works wonderfully with Panasonic 720/50p  (Panasonic codec seems to come from Sony...)

You can even render the file in 720/25p or even 720/50p (by typing 50 in the combo box)

Use File   Advanced  New personalized Template, Format:AVC, Size 1280x720

Binary Kbits Base Line

Profil CAVLS

Imlmage 25 or 50(type it)

Encoding 20000

Audio 192000

And you get an mp4 file with the same characteristics that your original and the same quality

It is not packed in an MPEG-2 envelope but who cares

You can even pack it after in an MPEG2-PS with VLS and get a completely comform m2ts.

Best Regards

Dominique

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2009 6:55 AM   in reply to micric14

Good News,

Despite what Sony support says !!?!!!

Try the last version of Sony Vegas 9, it works wonderfully with Panasonic 720/50p  (Panasonic codec seems to come from Sony...)

You can even render the file in 720/25p or even 720/50p (by typing 50 in the combo box)

Use File   Advanced  New personalized Template, Format:AVC, Size 1280x720

Binary Kbits Base Line

Profil CAVLS

Imlmage  25 or 50(type it)

Encoding 20000

Audio 192000

And you get an mp4 file with the same characteristics that your original and the same quality

It is not packed in an MPEG-2 envelope but who cares

You can even pack it after in an MPEG2-PS with VLS and get a completely comform m2ts.

Best Regards

Dominique

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to dominique92100123

Dominique, thanks you,  I don't find some of the rendering options you suggest for Sony Vega Studio Pro 9.

I'm a real newbie when it comes to video editing.

Could you be more specific and detail all the rendering and project settings?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points