Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Import DVD VOB file as asset

Jan 12, 2009 9:38 AM

It would be great to be able to grab VOB off an existing DVD and use it as part of an Encore project.

Even better if Premiere could import DVD footage.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2009 1:42 PM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)
    I second that.
    I usually backup my MiniDV's to DVD, so it would be awesome to impor VOB's directly into Encore and Premier.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 10:32 PM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)
    what will be the quality of VOB file imported from DVD ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2009 10:35 PM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)
    can U pl explain in what format and how much quantity of MINI DV you are backing up on DVD.....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2009 3:33 AM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)
    >I usually backup my MiniDV's to DVD, so it would be awesome to impor VOB's directly into Encore and Premier.

It is generally far better to back up the original AVI files ratherthan attempting to restore VOB files from a DVD-Video archive.
    Reason is that once you have compressed down to MPEG-2 video, the loss of resolution is permanent and in addition MPEG-2 files are not designed for editing. Additionally, a VOB file is not just Audio & Video - it's a full multiplex of all streams in a timeline, including subtitles and (where supported) "Button Over Video" subpicture highlights.
    Another problem with VOB use in Premiere is that when written to DVD, what started life as (for example) a 3Gb MPEG-2 file gets turned into 3 VOB files as the DVD format will split a continuous timeline into 1Gb chunks, so to get everything correct you would then need to join all the relevant VOB files into one long stream.
    (your VOB files that need to be joined would be the VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB etc, and
    i not
    VTS_01_0.VOB, as that is the menus for the stream)

Honestly, VOB import is probably more hasslethan it is worth, given the insanely cheap price of storage these days. You can buy a Terabyte USB2 HDD for under $100, which is admittedly no use at all for authoring/editing from due to the peculiarities of the USB buss, but is great for archival use)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2009 5:39 AM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)
    I generally backup all my AVI files on MINI DV rather than on DVD
    as my smallest file will be of about 40 to 70 mts duration and
    to store them on DVD I have to split them, which is not practcal
    so I keep them on MINI DV only.... only draw back is, when needed I have to recapture them again but quality is maintain...

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2009 10:57 AM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)

Considering that VOB (MPEG-2) is a delivery format, and not an editing format, it's not surprising that PrPro does not do a good job with them. There are conversion programs, that will take the MPEG-2 and convert to DV-AVI Type II files - the native editing format for PrPro. Stripping out the MPEG-2 from the VOB can be as simple as renaming the VOB to MPEG, but this can be frought with problems. Other software can handle the stripping process better.

Actually, Premiere Elements does a better job of working with some VOB files, though many find that third-party conversions work better first.

You could try the "rename" proceedure, though you'll get muxed files, and Encore likes elemental streams better. You can de-mux the files, but if you're going that route, may as well as convert to DV-AVI Type II, and Import those into PrPro for either using DL, or Exporting as elemental streams.

Since Encore is not an editing program, but an authoring program, I am not surprised that it cannot handle VOB's. Also, it now ships with a great NLE, PrPro, so I'd suggest using that for ALL editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2009 3:56 AM   in reply to (Solomon_Fried)

(Solomon_Fried) wrote:

Just to clarify my original post. I never backup my project to DVD as a movie (which would result in VOB). I agree that using the VOB MPEG-2 format is not a great option. But there are times when all I have is a DVD and I need to import footage as part of a new project. I currently need to use other applications to convert the DVD to AVI and then import the AVI into Premiere. It would be much simpler of Premiere was able to read the VOBs and import them as assets.

Being able to use VOB files directly in Premiere makes a heck of a lot more sense than in Encore, where it makes literally no sense at all.

The problem with utilizing VOB's are that they are system multiplexes - deliverables that are heavily modded to suit DVD-Video too, not editable assets and this is what a lot of people seem to forget.

It's more than just the Audio & Video. It's everything. Subtitles, Line21, BOV's, and a lot of the information is referred from the _0.VOB file which (from memory) holds all the NavPacks.

If premiere was to handle this, it would need to be capable of complex demultiplexing, and direct handling of AC3 streams too. This is going to increase the cost as Dolby Digital surround decoders would immediately be mandatory in such a system. Add $300 to the cost of the application, just for that.

VOB support must include 5.1 surround decoding, and that means the mandated stream type which is most common. And this is not free technology.

Anything that does this for free is a hack, and will not reliably produce DVD compliant results.

All this aside, it would be great if VOB handling of some sort could be done but what would the cost of implenenting this be.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)