Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illegal character error on good filename

May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new RoboHelp project and tried to insert a graphic named Timeline.jpg. I got the following error:

Unable to rename file, "Timeline.jpg".

The filename contains illegal characters.

I tried inserting a graphic that I had used in a previous RoboHelp project and got the same error. Then I opened a previous RoboHelp project and was able to successfully insert the Timeline.jpg graphic into that project.

I'm on Windows XP and RoboHelp 8. I would really like to avoid having to re-install RoboHelp, but I'm not sure where to look to troubleshoot this error message. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kjc90 and welcome to the RH community.

I'm wondering if the project name is at fault here. Can you tell us what the project title is?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. The project name is: Online Guide to Performance Management

Is it possibly too long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is longer than any project title I've ever used but it isn't too long. It also doesn't contain any special characters which I thought might be the issue. Is the project on a network drive?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not on a network drive, it's on my hard drive. I tried creating a project with a shorter name and importing a graphic and I still got the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's not source-controlled, I presume?  When inexplicably odd behavior occurs, the two basic all-purpose fixes I have my writers try are 1) Reboot the PC, and 2) Rebuild the cpd file. If that doesn't work, then we dig deeper.

This fixes a *lot* of weird problems.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not source controlled and I knew enough to try rebooting, but that hasn't helped.

I'm new to RoboHelp and have been learning as I go. Therefore, I have limited knowledge of the cpd file, but would it really need rebuilding as soon as I create a project and try to insert a graphic into the first topic? If so, I'll look into rebuilding it.

In the meantime, I figured out something that makes it work.

Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out something that enables me to insert a graphic now.

Previously, I created the RoboHelp project in my Human Resources folder on my hard drive where I already have a couple of RoboHelp projects. This morning, I created a folder on my hard drive named Human Resources New and created a project in that folder. I can now insert graphics into this project.

Since any new project I create in the Human Resources folder won't allow me to insert graphics, I figure the error has something to do with that folder or the other projects in that folder. While I am slightly curious about the problem with the folder, I'm just glad I don't have to re-install RoboHelp.

Thanks for your input on this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps try attaching the image to this thread? If you can do this I'd be happy to download it and see if I get the same issues when attempting to insert into one of my own RoboHelp projects.

In this rare case, I'm advising to use the actual Attach function as opposed to my normal advice to insert the image inline.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problem inserting the graphic. Since I was able to insert the graphic into one of my other RoboHelp projects and I'm not able to insert ANY graphic into this RoboHelp project, the graphic isn't the problem. It's something with the project itself or the folder where it resides.

Creating the project in a new folder seems to have resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever make progress on this?

A colleague is now unable to import images to her project (RH8.02, CHM output, Windows XP, local disk, no source control); she gets 'Unable to rename file, "SAXS_1_32_slit.png". The filename contains illegal characters'. Other images give a similar message.

I can import the image to a test project on my PC; her project is quite large (some 3000 topics) so I don't want to copy it to my PC if I can avoid it.

What strikes me as odd is that RoboHelp has no need to rename anything. It should simply copy the image to the project directory and insert it into the HTML. We can verify that the image is copied in OK; she just can't import it.

Jeff `jonestech' described a similar problem in http://forums.adobe.com/message/2390997#2390997

Obviously we tried zapping the CPD and rebooting -- no help. Any ideas?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having trouble with this too.  Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having the same problem. With three copies of RoboHelp 8 HTML running in the office (all under Windows XP Pro), two of us can insert images with absolutely no problem, and the third gets an "illegal characters" error on virtually every image. In fact, I'm able to insert the very same images with no problem at all, while my co-worker gets the error message. We've done all the usual, including rebooting, deleting the CPD file, and so on.

I guess our next step will be to re-install RoboHelp. It does seem like this is becoming a a more pervasive problem.

A copy of the image is attached, although it shouldn't be the source of the problem because I can import it with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your colleague try inserting a graphic into a test project that was placed in a totally separate folder? This would be the fix used by the original poster. If that works, then I'd try copying the project (minus cpd) into a new location and trying again.

HTH,

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In January I posted that a colleague had this problem. The beastie has now hit another colleague, so that 40% of our team is suffering.

Did anybody ever get a workaround?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anyone in this thread saying they have tried renaming the CPD and reopening the project. Just wondering if something got screwed up there.

Maybe also time to copy a project from someone with the problem to someone who is OK. Does the problem persist?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now now, Peter, it's a bit early in the day but both LarryTX and I clearly stated the we had tried the CPD route.

Unfortunately these are pretty big projects (3000 topics) so copying is not a five-minute job. And my vacation starts tomorrow so I don't have time until the middle of August. Johan (my colleague) is monitoring this thread and will try any useful ideas.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You win on CPD, sorry I missed that.

Zipping up a 3000 topic project and putting it on a network shouldn't take long though.

Alternatively, if you want Johan to send it to me, I'll take a look.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bang! bang! bang! That's the sound of the bug being nailed to the wall !

It turns out that there was an apostrophe (') in a folder name in the path (not the filename at all). When I renamed

D:\author_df\_MyNotes\RHtests\oldMyProduct\Generic

into

D:\author_df\_MyNotes\RHtests\oldMy'Product\Generic

I was unable to import an image. I changed the name back and I could import OK.

We had no problems with RoboHelp X5, so it's presumably appeared since then. Interestingly Windows allows the apostrophe -- see grab

21jul10.png

That'll help to assure me of a relaxed vacation

--- Derek

Message was edited by: NL_Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error.

This happened after I "upgraded" to 8.0.1.204 this morning.  Worked fine yesterday before the upgrade.  Now I can't insert any images at all, even ones I had inserted to the project earlier.

It says, "Unable to rename file," but I'm not trying to rename it at all.

Beats me...I'm at a standstill now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's extremely important that you now update to 8.0.2.208

You'll find it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html

Then return here if your problem still isn't fixed.
Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that - download 8.0.2. Problem persists...

Did you see my note that I can insert images as long as they're in the Robo "Gallery?"

But, it's the message, "Unable to rename file," that sounds like a bug, you know? Didn't ask Robo to rename a file.

Meanwhile the work-around helps...although my directory structure is going to be messed-up.

And THANKS, btw!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an update:

I copied an image into Robo's "Gallery," clicked Insert>>Image and that worked.

Any advice from the "robotic sages" out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Did you see my note that I can insert images as long as they're in the Robo "Gallery?"

I did not see anything about a Gallery reference from you up-thread but down below??? I'm a bit confused now. This thread was started in 2009 and is getting a bit long in the tooth

Is your problem that you are not able to import images, or is it that you are interrupted by illegal character errors as shown by NL_Derek in post 18?

If you can import from the Gallery (where we know there are no mis-named folders) maybe you were trying to insert the original image from a mis-named folder? Honestly I don't know.What is the image format and does it display correctly once it's in your project?

>>although my directory structure is going to be messed-up.

This should not be a problem. Once you insert your image from the Gallery or anywhere else, it is automatically copied to your RoboHelp Project folder. From the Images pseudo-folder (as Rick calls it) in Project Manager you can then locate it and move it to any project subfolder you like by dragging and dropping.

John

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear also. Did you do the "Rename the .cpd file and reboot RoboHelp to recreate it?" as referred to by Peter up-thread?

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp