• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player 10 Fix for WinXP and Vista, IE7, IE8, Firefox, ect.(New Fast Fix)

Explorer ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(This is a possible solution for most users) I have found that inside the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash (WinXP Home/Pro) (Computer > C: Drive > Windows > System32 > Macromed > Flash for Vista) there should be a file named FlashUtil10b.exe (IF NOT YOU SHOULD UPDATE AS SPECIFIED!) (or FlashUtil10a.exe or for older versions something similar depending on your version), which is the update utility for flash player. Click on this and if it updates, you will have to restart your computer. This should fix any missing files, and update you to the latest version.

On a side note to all those who read this, I downloaded and installed 5 different times, the same version, from different websites, all for the "new" flash version, and they didn't work (this also included trying to update Shockwave player itself). Apparently, going directly to the website and downloading a new version of Adobe Flash Player, and installing, doesn't uninstall the older version, (though it says it does nor does the uninstaller work directly from the website) nor fixes the problem. I assume they are aware of this problem, because they included this bug fix in revision 10b. This fix should work for those of you whom cannot view/see flash images as well. There also appears to be a bug/reference problem with the installation of IE8 giving the error "Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA", when trying to play a Shockwave/Flash file, which seems also to affect Firefox and other browsers. It doesn't recognize that the folder or files that it needs in it, exist. I never had his problem before, until IE8 was installed. I checked which version I had in the system32 folder and found this updater built in to Adobe. Version 10a does NOT automatically update, but version 10b includes this fix. I currently had version 10a when I received this error, and began digging for a solution. Doing the update as described above fixed the problem, and updated it to version 10b.

The new flash version 10b has some new features, such as volume control, auto-updating, and several rendering options for those who may have a faster or slower computer/video card.

I found this works great for XP users but unsure of the Vista users. The process is the same  for Vista and the update should still work the same, as long as you run it as Administrator, I assume. I have this also posted on wwwdslreports.com at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22115254-IE-IE8-and-Adobe-Flash-Question and here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22361930-Adobe-Flash-Player-10-Fix-for-WinXP-IE 8-Firefox-ect. It appears to work for everyone so far. I have not heard of any problems from users with this problem running the RC (Release Canidate) for Windows 7 yet.

I hope this works to your benefit.

Please leave a reply to help Adobe and other users know if this fix worked for you or not. If not, please explain what you did, and the effects your seeing, including operating system, site of the flash file trying to view, browser type (ex. IE6, IE7, IE8, Firefox, Opera, ect.), and I will try to help you as best I can.

(I would strongly recommend those not using IE8, or Firefox 3.5, get the updated versions)

If your looking for uninstallers go to this site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

If your looking for a true full install, you can download this developer version for Windows and Mac: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/10/flash_player_update2_flash10.zip (44MB) (If you download this, I would recommend you still follow my instructions for the Flash Utility before restarting your computer.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend all users having problems try the above solution first.

I have posted this on a couple of websites, and so far it has fixed everyones problems.

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 has Adobe Flash Player coding built into the browser so that it not only loads faster but works better.

You still need to have the Adobe ActiveX plug-in and Adobe Flash Player for both browsers.

I would also recommend you download Shockwave Player 11.

IE8 has tried this as well, but it still has a couple bugs in it.

If you have IE8 or FireFox 3.5 Beta 4, and you are still having problems, then I recommend that you go to www.windowsupdate.com and get all of the latest updates (including SP3), then try this fix again.

Your auto-updater built into windows (If you even have it on) doesn't always pull down every update available for your computer. It only pulls down the manditory ones.

Sometimes you HAVE to go to the website and manually get them yourself. I recommend when you go to the website, you click on custom install and pick every last one of them to install, which includes, hardware and software fixes for your computer.

What a lot of people don't know is that when you have installed and tried all of the recommended fixes that Adobe gives you, and it still doesn't work, is that you are having registry conflicts within your Operating System (OS ex. WinXP, Vista, Linux, ect.), and that it is not the Adobe software at all.

Those are usually repaired by making sure your computer stays up to date.

The fact is the computer world is changing so rapidly that everyone can't keep up. You have to check for updates weekly.

If you fall behind on those updates, then you start having problems with your computer and/or software.

One problem then can turn into many and people get frustrated when something all the sudden just quits working.

Take a day or two at least once a month, and make sure you update and maintain your computer.

This includes disk defragmenting, disk cleanup, and making sure you have all the lastest updates.

You can get to Disk Defrag, and Disk Cleanup by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, then to System Tools.

I would do Disk Cleanup first, then Defrag.

I hope you take this advise into consideration, and that it is very helpful for you.

If you find this useful, please come back and reply to this forum, and let everyone know so that others will be encouraged to do this.

Thanks and goodluck, from another user like you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you STILL having problems, try downloading this Codec file for all of your video codec needs.

http://files.3dnews.ru/pub/soft/multimedia/codec/klcodec_480f.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that for a lot of you even after all of these suggestions, you may still be having problems. Not all of you are above average users. Each individual has unique circumstances. A lot of times, each problem is simply fixed, but you can only do so much, with the relevant information that you give us. Sometimes it's as simple as one change to a program, or the removal of it, or maybe even an update. Sometimes you actually have to go digging through the registry (I DO NOT ADVISE YOU DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DOING!!!), to fix a simple error. I would love to fix every last one of your computers, but in order to do that, I would have to be at your computer to evaluate the situation. Not all of you know even what to look for to tell others, so that they can figure out your problems. Hard to fix something, if you don't know all the parameters of each individual machine. There is a common ground to every computer, and OS, but every machine's registry can vary greatly, depending on the user preferences, and programs. For that reason, I can not fix every last computer/flash problem that is brought to my attention, as much as I have said, that I would like to. I hope that those who read this can understand. A lot of people can learn a lot more about their problems, and about their computer, just by doing some simple research. I don't mean you have to be an expert, but it does help to know a few things, so that you know what to, and what not to do. I would like to thank all those who do try to help, and I wish good luck to those in need of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I just wanted to thank you for your assistance.  Duelly Noted, even though I wasn't able to fix my flash problems, you did take the time to make as many suggestions as you could think of, not just for myself, but others.  That is appreciated.  As you said, you can't fix everyone's computer without having all their information .  But you did come up with as many possible solutions, more than most did.  I did try researching a little, but my technical skills when it comes to registry problems are really not up to not destroying my OS in some way.

Therefore, our only options are to hope for fixes from Adobe, perhaps....or, everyone just take their computers to Duelly's house so he can fix them all in person. 

But because many never take the time to, I just wanted to again, say taking the time to help was a good deed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this also:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay here is where we are.  I downloaded FF 3.5 Beta.  I adjusted the MR Toolkit.  Here is the list of what add-ons I have and what was disabled by FF 3.5:     Copy Plain Text (disabled) Use copy text from FF into Microsoft Word  McAfee Site Advisor (fine)  Microsoft .,Net Framework Assistant (Disabled)  MR Toolkit (fine)  No Squint (disabled) Use to hold zoom settings for my resolution of 1600X900  Restore Scroll Position (disabled) to hold page space when going back and forth between pages  Sxipper (fine)     Now besides the Toolkit, I had all of these when Flash was working fine.  I did try flashblock and Adblock plus a week or so ago, but I did not like them and uninstalled them.  Besides, those wouldn't affect IE, I would think.     I added IE Tab, but could not fine IE view extensions under add-ons, neither under IE, Internet Explorer, or view extensions.  I started having trouble about a week ago, and I heard that was when Flash was updated.  No other new programs have been added besides Vista Updates.  I do not have a registry cleaner.  You said Registry Mechanic, is that the same as System Mechanic?     I will download Spybot as you suggest.     Now the BIG problem.  I uninstalled Flash as you suggested, with the browser closed.  I uninstalled the Flash for IE, again with the browsers closed.  Now, the same problem is happening on IE, but I thought FF was supposed to take care of Flash.  I have no Flash Content on FF at all, and the videos have the "get adobe flash banner on them."  I had to download Flash for FF to get any Flash content on.     That's pretty much it.     Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to make a Vista admin account work like it does in XP:

Vista With full administrative access rights (full control)…

* On Windows Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate:

1. Click Start, type secpol.msc in the search box, then press Enter
  2. From the list to the left, choose Local Policies, then Security Options
  3. Set Accounts: Administrator account status to Enabled
  4. Set User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account to Disabled

* On Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium:

1. Click Start, type cmd in the search box, right click on the program cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
  2. In the command prompt window, type net users Administrator /active:yes then press Enter, you should receive a confirmation saying; The  command completed successfully
  3. Click Start, type regedit in the search box, then press Enter
  4. Navigate to the section: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    • Double click FilterAdministratorToken and set it to 0
  5. Next, logoff and you will see a new Administrator account is available. Login to this new Administrator account

Your now logged in to Windows Vista with full administrative rights. You will not receive any security prompts like before and you should have complete administrative rights to your machine. I recommend you only use this admin account for major program installs, and changes to your machine. The reason for this is so that if you make a mistake on the user account, it can be deleted, or an attempt to repair it is possible, where as you make a mistake to the admin account, it's possible it will be unrepairable, and or if you need to access an admin account to fix the user account, you won't be able to using strictly the admin (of the OS) account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this also:

I appologize, I forgot to add this in my previous post that after doing this you will need to do a reinstall of Flash Player 10, and then redo the fix I suggested at the top of this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I did this and no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'll continue to work on it. Vista is one of those systems that looks good on the outside but is a P.I.T.A. on the inside. Your welcome. Just have to narrow down the possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you who read this, that fix about the admin account on Vista DID work. Here is the link to the discussions. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431156?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi duelly,

i can't view the some of the flash content in both IE6 and firefox 10, http://www.amymagazine.com/amyblog.
can you pls help? many thanks.
also, i can't see adobe flash appeared under firefox 'adds-on' but can see java. not sure if relevant but fyi.
i can't see the exe file in my flash folder, and what does that update refer to?
''I have found that inside the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash (WinXP Home/Pro) (Computer > C: Drive > Windows > System32 > Macromed > Flash for Vista) there should be a file named FlashUtil10b.exe (IF NOT YOU SHOULD UPDATE AS SPECIFIED!) ''.

alternatively, can you explain in a very simple way, no technicals, what should i do to see the flash content?

fyi, i downloaded IE8 and since then i couldn't see the flash thus changed to IE6.

many thanks.

best regards,

ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

attached the d0c.

thx...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines