May 3, 2009 1:44 PM   in reply to John Joslin

Has everyone left?

They have now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2009 9:23 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

These forums are absolutely horrible.

Is this just the intellectual property issue or is it the crappy forum interface?

Both. But mainly the latter.

You will find a large number of us have moved to a better party down the street at:

http://nikongear.com

(You don't HAVE to be using a Nikon — all photographers are welcome!)

Ann,

I am trying to log onto the nikon forums but they have one of those "Identify what you see" requirements that keeps kicking me back out, with some of the fields deleted. I think there is an internal clock setting that makes the 'Identify what you see' thing change faster than I can finish re - filling out the missing fields. Any way I tried to register 20 times over 20 minutes and was not able to register.

I am looking for a new forum, one that is easy to use. Obviously, the Nikon site was not designed by David Powers or it would work properly.

I've contacted admin at the nikon site and hopefully they will get me signed on.

Thanks for the recommendation. We need something to take the place of these God-Forsaken-Forums the way they are now.

See You There,

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2009 10:29 AM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

Ken:

Send me your e-mail address if you would like to and I will forward it to Dallas Dahms who owns the Nikongear web site.

cameraart1 at comcast dot net

See you there — but do let me know if you adopt a different screen name so that i recognise you!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2009 8:34 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Ann, See you there.

Dallas sent me a hint to not use the back button to go back from the error I've been getting but to refresh a new registration screen. I will try that 20 times and if no avail, Dallas said he would manually set me up. I'll use my own name there. I can't be as bad as these forums have become.

Thanks Ann,

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 7:44 AM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

I find that the Nikongear site works very speedily — which is fortunate because it is a VERY busy site and seems to be growing very quickly with some fifty new members a week.

It will probably take you a little while to find your way around but do find your way to the "Introductions" area and announce your presence once you arrive.

Fred Nirque has already taken the place by storm and one of his Forest photographs has just been chosen as "Picture of the Week".

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2009 8:37 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

Fred Nirque has already taken the place by storm and one of his Forest photographs has just been chosen as "Picture of the Week".

It didn't take him long did it?

The only problem I have with the site is I'm spending so much time there. There is some absolutely wonderful photography.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2009 11:43 AM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Looking forward to it. I'm investing in a new telphoto lens and want some input.

Thanks Ann

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 4:00 AM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

for those who didn't leave (obviously : ) :

http://www.selfpromoawards.com/

If you need help with self promo concepts, I could give you some suggestions

(or you can develop them by discussing with others)

[that's what I think forums are best for]

for instance Andrew could have his dog take a picture of him

(as a way to return the many "favors" : )

or wade could take a self portrait as a reflection in a building's window

[I know that he doesn't need my ideas, but he has none of his own and he doesn't know it : ]

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2009 2:49 PM   in reply to Laurentiu G Todie

LOL!

Been there, done that. About 1972, testing out my new Hasselblad.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2009 6:27 AM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

I'm glad that you "were there", had fun and feel pride, larry

(most photographers were/had/felt : )

the concept is that an architectural photographer hides the reflections usually or tries to avoid them

the exception in this case would be purely for self advertisement as an architectural photographer

(you aren't, as far as I know; I could be wrong)

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2009 7:35 PM   in reply to Laurentiu G Todie

No, I wasn't thinking of advertising at all, and I was still at Tektronix as an engineer, but peeling off that to go into architectural photography. If I can find the scan, I'll post it.

When I had to confront the reflections directly from a building, I made use of it. By putting the image of the camera squarely in the center of the reflection with respect to the camera position, I knew I had the perspective correct. Then I usually made sure I was in black and the tripod legs melting into the background (if possible, sometimes the reflections were glaring!). But you are correct. We want to avoid having ourselves prominent in the glass!

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2009 12:03 AM   in reply to John Joslin

No one's around any more.   Who can blame us?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2009 5:21 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

I'm still here ...

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2009 11:11 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

Hi Hopper!   

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 6:09 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Hi Ramón 

awfully quiet here ...  I miss the old gang. 

I miss the people.

I miss the photos.

I miss the laughs.

I miss the learning lessons.

I miss the constructive information.

I don't miss the bickering! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 7:45 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone

I wonder if the copyright issue was the main reason for people leaving? As a rank amateur, I'd probably be flattered if anyone stole one of my images

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 7:48 AM   in reply to Kath-H

Kath,

I would venture to say yes it is.  That and the attitude that Adobe has expressed that doesn't seem to favor the customers that buy their products.

It's a sad thing and a great loss of a resource for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 5:01 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

Is it the copyright thing?  I would have to venture a yes.  Professional photographers are very protective of their images.  And understandably so.  As a wedding photographer I VERY SELDOM was willing to give clients the negs.  It was their wedding but my images.  It's a shame this is affecting the photography forum so badly.  I enjoyed this forum a lot and there are now a lot less posts here than any of the other forums.  It certainly must be due to the copyright deal.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 6:16 PM   in reply to Q Photo

Hi Q! 

Maybe we can keep this thing afloat?

Lemme start ... I want a new camera! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 9:14 PM   in reply to Q Photo

It's the copyright thing with language lifted almost verbatim from Facebook. You have to wonder if Adobe's lawyers paid Facebook's lawyers or if they have some sort of reciprocity agreement. But just as much is the agonizingly slow and ugly interface that is so unfriendly it's a wonder that anyone at all slogs through it. This place is nothing without the people who contributed regularly and now that there are only a couple left it's just a single notch above nothing. I actually think that this maybe be just what Adobe wants but for the life of me can't understand why. Adobe went from having a pretty decent forum to a really crappy one overnight. Maybe it's easier to manage with almost zero participants. Certainly saves on bandwidth.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 4:34 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone

Hopper,

A new camera?  That does sound like an interesting subject.  May I ask what particular model you're considering?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 3:48 PM   in reply to Q Photo

Oh, I keep considering! 

I would love to have a D700, but lord knows I can't justify that cost!  So next in line would be the D300 and if not that then maybe the D90.  I have to take a good look at them (90 and 300) to see if the cost differnences are worth the difference.

My D70 is a little cranky these days.  I sometimes get the CHA error, other times it tells me I have to format my card AFTER the CHA error.  I have found that if I either remove my battery and/or reseat the lens I can make the error go away.  I am not sure which one works or if it requires both things, as I tend to have to do them multiple times.  Last time, it was only the battery that had to be removed and reinserted.

anyone have any thoughts on these cameras?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 5:08 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

D90.  It has (many) features of D300 and is priced lower.  I have a D300 and really like it a lot.  But the D90 is very similar. Seriously, why spend more than necessary?  Digital cameras become "old" very quickly.  If the D90 is as close to the D300, as I think, then you will be VERY happy.    D700 is out of my price range so I can't give an opinion other than that's a lot of money.  As always, just my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 5:26 PM   in reply to Q Photo

Q Photo wrote:

D90.  It has (many) features of D300 and is priced lower.  I have a D300 and really like it a lot.  But the D90 is very similar. Seriously, why spend more than necessary?  Digital cameras become "old" very quickly.  If the D90 is as close to the D300, as I think, then you will be VERY happy.    D700 is out of my price range so I can't give an opinion other than that's a lot of money.  As always, just my opinion.

Q,

I'll go to dpreview and see how it compares to the noise in the high ISO ratio.  <ran over to the dpreview site for the prices> The D90 is roughly half the cost of the D300 ... hmmmm  I need to look into this more ... 

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 4:51 AM   in reply to greenjumpyone

hurry up and… wait to see the Pentax K-7!

(and the Panasonic Class 10 SDHC cards)

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 6:49 AM   in reply to Laurentiu G Todie

LT,

I doubt that I will change manufactures, as I have some money invensted in my Nikon gear and don't have enough money to reinvest in another line of cameras.

There are a couple of little niggles about the D90 vs the D70/D300 that I see.  I guess it's something I have to decide if it's a big enough deal or not, to pay an additional $800 for!

• I see that the D90 uses SD cards, I have the CF from my D70.
    • I have gotten used to the 6 (or is it 7?) fps and on the D70 and the 90 only has 4fps.

Other things I have to look into:

• Will the D90 work with my SB600 flash unit?
    • Will it work with my current remote?
    • Will my D70 battery work with the D90?
    • Will my current lenses work with the D70? (as in full functionality)
    • Is the 96% coverage equal to my current D70?  I know that I don't get full coverage, so I am wondering if this is equal to the D70?
    • I do get a fair amount of noise with my D70 when I am lower light siutations and I wonder how the D90 handles that?

I am definitely more tempted, after looking at the specs ..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 6:00 PM   in reply to John Joslin

"Has everyone left?"

Last post in the Photography Forum was four days ago.

Apparently, they have...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 4:39 PM   in reply to Q Photo

I've been so busy with work, I've not had time to breathe much less spend time in the forum.  That, and it's so slow for me to even get to post things. 

I'm still interested in the camera though! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 6:07 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

I still visit most days, but I miss all the wonderful pics and people.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 3:23 PM   in reply to John Joslin

I don't know if this is going to work, I have uploaded the pic, here goes...

IMG_6012.jpg

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 3:35 PM   in reply to mrsdu

That worked just fine.  And, nice photo.  Thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 4:42 PM   in reply to Q Photo

Thanks Q.

I figure no-one will want to steal my pics

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2009 6:18 PM   in reply to mrsdu

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 4:10 PM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Looking at the dates on some of the posts, it does appear that everyone has left.

Not sure why, but the difficulty with the interface could well be a major issue.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of folk just loose interest. One prolific poster became a grandfather, and said he was tired of answering the same 12 questions every day. One got transferred across the country, and took a month to get a connection in his new home. No sooner than he got up and running, than he got laid off and moved his family back in with his in-laws, while he looked for work outside of his expertise field, video.

It happens, and for various reasons. Now, I will also add that I have corresponded with several, who were just fed up with the problems logging-in to the Adobe forums, and moved on to the Creative Cow, or similar. While not pleased with many of the changes, I just keep plugging away, grumbling mostly under my breath.

I just found this forum, though it does appear to be too late. I did not even know that it existed, until someone mentioned it in another thread, in another forum. I used to spend a great deal of time on several other photo fora, both HTTP and NTTP I got very tired of so many people violently debating the perceived merits of optics that they had never seen, and would never own. And then, there was the constant near-spam from people pushing the Fovia system and extolling its merits. Too much BS for me. Few people had legit questions, or problems. Those fora became repositories for theoretical debate and most of it was not pretty. There were just not enough "doers," such as yourself, and too many poseurs, who wished to argue the hypothetical, until Hell froze over.

Was this a good forum, way back when?

Sorry that I missed it, but it seems that you are trying to keep it alive, even if those efforts are not meeting with a lot of support.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 4:16 PM   in reply to P_Shock

"Welcome to our site! We are a group of enthusiastic photographers at all levels of the craft using Nikon equipment." (my emphasis)

Gosh, except for my Hasselblads, I have almost always used Nikon equipment for still work from 35mm up to 8 x 10. OK, my cine and video are NOT Nikon, but then this is photography, right? Had not seen that disclaimer. Maybe I've found a home! No, wait, the last two cameras that I bought for my wife were Canon. Also, I have many friends, who shoot only Canon. Can I stay?

I wonder where the Nikon reference came from. Photography is not about brand. It is about art and science. I wonder what prompted the Nikon reference in the beginning?

Interesting, and I'm glad that you shared that, even though I do use Nikon gear, or lenses.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2009 4:22 PM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Aside from my other comments, I wish that these fora would also list the posting date for the OP, like many other fora do. Maybe, that's more of a topic for the Forum Comments forum.

I realize that I am commenting on some "zombies" here, as they are from the past, and are being brought back to life, but that happens in my wine, and my food fora too. Zombies - Arise!

Good topic, when posted, and maybe more salient today - Dec. 2009.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 11:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

And so it seems that so many have left and the lights are out!  This used to be such a wonderful place.  It's not only the forums but Adobe that has changed.  Enjoy wherever everyone has gone!

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 8:12 AM   in reply to John Joslin

I haven't left, just got here.  Did any one participate in the CS5 prerelease beta "White Rabbit"?

Evie

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 3:23 PM   in reply to Eva S

I didn't get a chance to check out "white rabbit". Anyone else have any feedback.

Oh, and great pic by the way

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points