• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grayed out print command

New Here ,
May 17, 2008 May 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Photoshop CS3 Extended and I suddenly do not have access to the print command (or to page setup, or print one copy). These three commands are grayed out while the rest of the File drop down menu is active. No trouble printing in other apps.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2008 May 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions of the image you are trying to print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2008 May 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixel dimensions for this particular image are 4064x2704. It is a Tiff file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that rules out the possibility that the image was too large. Does this problem occur with only certain images, or does it occur all the time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just started in the last few days. I can't get the print command for anything in Photoshop: JPEG, TIFF, PSD, etc. I have no trouble printing in other products however. I am printing to an Epson 3800 and as I said, have had no trouble until now...

Thanks for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting your preferences file (see the FAQ if you don't know how) and then doing a repair install. Let us know if those steps fix the problem or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the preferences as per the instructions and then did the repair/reinstall. Unfortunately there was no change, the print commands are still unavailable.
Thanks

PD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reinstall the print driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try reinstalling the print driver but I am having no trouble printing in other apps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's probably not it, but we're running out of ideas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the printer local to the computer, or a networked print server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printer is local to the computer. I have now tried a complete uninstall/reinstall to no affect on the problem. As I have another computer with the same software installed from the same disk working properly, I am wondering if this could be an issue with Windows, a corrupted file perhaps.
What do you think?
Thank you.
PD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sure sounds more likely than a problem with photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's a local printer, you aren't running into the unsupported networked printer issue. I think it may be time for a call to Adobe. Support for installation problems is free. Since the printing capabilities won't install, help ought to be free. (But don't take my word for that!) But before you do that, try installing a generic Postscript or PDF printer driver and make it your default. If that gets you the printing menu items, you should be able to select a different printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Was this ever solved for you? I came in to the office this morning to the exact same problem. What was the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated info for users on Vista 64 bit.

Newbie [to these forums] having same issue - greyed out 'Print Setup', 'Print', and 'Print One Copy' that just started recently.

System: Vista Business 64bit
Printer: HP 4260 [until my Canon i9900 gets fixed]
Photoshop: 10.01

Symptoms: This printing issue is with Photoshop ONLY. Other Adobe products print fine as do all other programs.

I've reinstalled my printer driver and the Photoshop 10.01 updates with no luck.

I'm using Photoshop with the .exe compatibility options set to run as 'Administrator'. I unchecked the 'run as Administrator' and now the print option is back.

I originally had to use the 'run as Administrator' for some of my plug-ins to work. Now I'll have to find out which ones do and don't.

Hope this helps others out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have just come across this problem with my PS CS3 Ex, my only workround at the moment is to save as a PDF and print from Acrobat.

Anybody found a solution?

Cheers Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started a new document and am experiencing the same problem Mac running OS 10.5.6. I can have multiple windows open and some will print and others have Print grayed out. Was this ever resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Windows forum, try the other side.

(Link at the top of the page.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem while trying to get my copy of CS4 to run with all features present. Adobe recommnended upgrading the video diver to the latest. When I did this I got grayed out print box in both CS4 and my older CS3, all other application would still print. I reinstalled the older video card driver and got my printer dialog box back. Seems unrelated but that is what happened in my case of greying out print, incidentally I could not find a single reference anywhere in Adobes help to explain this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe is in the middle of an update and requires a restart to complete the update the print buttons will grey out until the restart is completed. May need to update again if incomplete and then reboot. This may be a different problem than above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all

I am encountering this problem and cannot get the print option 'active' on Photoshop in CS3 Design Premium.

It's a new, clean install on Windows Vista Business.
I have tried:

- reinstalling

- deleting the preferences file
- installing all available new updates

I can print out files in any other program, including other CS3 applications, it's ONLY Photoshop which won't let me print.

It may be a coincidental problem, but I can't use CTRL+SHIFT+S to 'save as'... the shortcut opens a window for my laptop's spec.

can anyone help me get my print option back?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I seem to have fixed it for anyone having issues...

i changed my default printer to Adobe PDF and restarted Photoshop and the print options are back!

however the ctrl+shift+s shortcut is still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts...

Something might have hijacked the key combo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks John all the shortcuts seem to be ok in Photoshop... it seems to be that the laptop/OS/Windows shortcut is over-riding Photoshop's.

not sure where to look in Control Panel to deactivate the laptop's CTRL+SHIFT+S command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines