Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how can i hide navigation panel buttons

Oct 25, 2007 5:54 AM

Hi, i would like to know how can i remove or hide programatically the navigation panel buttons because i have an applicattion where i open the pdf documents and i don´t want this buttons are shown never.i want that, when the application is open, the buttons don´t be shown. i´m refering to the button on the left of Adobe Reader 8: the botton are "pages", "how to","atachments", and "comments". thanks a lot for your help
susana

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2007 11:49 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    There are no public APIs to enable what you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 12:49 PM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Remove the navigation panel buttons, they are ANNOYING and use valuable screen space.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 2:27 PM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    YOU, as an end user, can do it manually by right-clicking on the panel and choosing to hide them.

Leonard

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 6:46 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    EVERY time I open a document? And then the toolbar? Sheesh... I have a strong suspicion that reader's interface is designed by a sadistic idiot, I can vividly imagine him mumbling "now if we add even more useless and annoying crap will they lump it?"

I stick with reader 7, and that's my advice to everyone. It's got plenty of interface rubbish too but not even closely as annoying as 8 and a bit better than 6 (oh that monumental search pain ...eh pane). And it doesn't require drastic measures to disable the bothersome and buggy autoupdate either.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 1:43 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    SOLUTION for hiding navigation panel in Adobe:
    (I wrote the title out explicitly for google indexing purposes and so others do not have to suffer like I have and don't get irrelevant and stupid responses like Leonard Rosenthol's when they try to google the answer to this frustrating problem - he would make a great Microsoft employee, as would be the designers of this particular feature of Adobe Professional.)

1. When the navigation panel is opened, left-click and drag each individual icon to the right so that you pull it off the navigation panel and they each become bigger floating pop-up windows.

2. Now continue doing this for all icons until the navigation panel is entirely gray.

3. Click on the "X" in the upper right hand side until you close all those pop-up windows.

4. Right click on the navigation panel gray area and click "hide".

5. Now that navigation panel will be gone whenever you open up Adobe.

This was very frustrating, but I finally fixed it after much tinkering. I must say that Leonard Rosenthol's response was stupid, irrelevant and it angered me greatly. >:(
    Hope this helps!

- Kev

For google purposes:
    - solution for hiding navigation panel in Adobe
    - hiding navigation panel permanently
    - permanently hiding navigation panel buttons
    - annoying navigation panel

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 7:14 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Unfortunately this workaround has absolutely no bearing when you open the PDF files in the web browser. All of the Navigation panel buttons come back in their full glory.
    :(

Sabian

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 9:38 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Bah!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 1:45 PM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    > Unfortunately this workaround has absolutely no bearing when you open the PDF files in the web browser. All of the Navigation panel buttons come back in their full glory.

Well then you can just use the PDF Open Parameters.

Examples:

http://www.example.com/Test.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0&scrollbar=0

<embed src="Test.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0&scrollbar=0">

Of course if you're so concerned about screen space, the menus and toolbars take up much more space than the (rather useful) navigation pane, so why not just set the PDF to open in fullscreen mode? Maximum screen space achieved.

Wanna go all out and have it permanently disabled on your system? Edit the .pdf file association in your registry to launch

Acrobat.exe /A "navpanes=0" %1

instead of

Acrobat.exe %1

And your navigation panes will be off for all your PDFs.

Mac OS X you say? Create an alias with the same name as the Acrobat launcher that launches it with -A"navpanes=0" since aliases are processed before searching the path on OS X. Same deal for AcroRead on *ix, since we all know Mac OS X is just BSD with a skin anyways.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_open_parameters.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 8:34 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    > The navigation panel is also an information panel for letting you know when a PDF contains certain features (security, layers, etc.). That's why we don't want you being able to permanently hide it.

"We know what's best for you, we don't care what you want. It's our way or the highway. LA LA LA LA LA, NOT LISTENING, I CANT HEAR YOU!"

Not a nice way to treat the customer. But I guess that's the way large corporations can be.

Switching to Foxit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:23 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    > LA LA LA LA LA, NOT LISTENING, I CANT HEAR YOU!

Seems you should be the one saying that since perfectly workable solutions to all your complaints are in the message directly above your hissy-fit post.

"I want you to redesign your application to suit ME ONLY, and ignore the millions of satisfied users! ME ME ME!"

Yeah, great business strategy. How much is your company worth compared to Adobe? So who has the better business sense, I wonder?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:37 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Actually, none of the solutions above work. The Panel still keeps showing up every single time the Reader is launched.

*shrug* where I'm from, this forced feature is called a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:45 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    > Actually, none of the solutions above work.

They do work, actually. Would you like a Captivate video? Whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 7:12 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    The post at:

PDL - 2:45pm May 8, 08 PST

Worked great for me - exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Regarding the comment:

"...why not just set the PDF to open in fullscreen mode?"

In my case, it is a document management system and the files are retrieved one at a time from an Oracle db for some manual indexing - index fields to the left and the document to the right, with ability to navigate from one doc to the next/previous. Opening it in full screen doesn't work for users in this scenario b/c they'd have to constantly switch between windows for thousands of documents. The documents are also disassociated from the additional fields this way. Just wanted to point at a scenario where the desired "more real estate with embedded pdf" is really necessary. The ability to hide the menus and offer the most space for document viewing within the browser is definitely important.

Thanks again - Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 7:44 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Several ways to achieve this are posted above, Ron.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2008 5:20 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    How come they took Search off the Navigation panel?

Is there a way to add it back - I can't seem to figure out how to do this?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 5:53 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Interesting thread! Let me say up front that my inquiry results from mgmt directive. It's not personal, so don't shoot the messenger.

I've had success turning these things off and having them stay off with the standalone Reader v8.1.2. However, I have not been able to achieve the same thing with the ActiveX Add-On for Internet Explorer 6.0.x. I think it is AcroPDF.dll.

Can anyone help with how to configure this to never show the Navigation Panel Buttons on open?

We're actually experiencing this problem when our IBM Cognos BI product is used to email hyperlinks to PDF outputs saved on the Cognos server. The reports open as a PDF inside an Internet Explorer window. I don't have control over the Cognos server based report viewer settings. However, if I can get it figured out for my workstation, I might be able to get our Cognos support people to change similar parameters.

TIA

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2008 6:09 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Clarification: The Cognos report viewer seems to operate independently from my desktop world. If I disable the ActiveX control in IE, that prevents me from opening intranet PDF files from within IE. However, it does not prevent me from using the Cognos browser/pdf combination...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 10:21 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    How do I have the navigation panel buttons hidden but the bookmarks shown, if I drag the bookmarks off of the Navigation panel, then the rest of the document does not wrap to the right side of the bookmarks, part of the document is under the bookmarks.
    I just want to have the real estate of the navigation panel back, full page mode does not show the bookmarks.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2009 4:11 PM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Adobe can rot in hell, they are arrogant ******. You've only got to look at the way their Updater5 installs without permission, eats your bandwidth, hogs your CPU time, then interrupts your work and asks you to reboot. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2009 10:57 AM   in reply to (susana_albor)
    Jeez this navigation pannel is annoying as hell, It's pathetic that users who don't want it and bookmarks have to hide them EVERY freaking time they open a document!

Thanks PDL for solution, so far it seems to work although I haven't checked the browser plug-in yet.

" The navigation panel is also an information panel for letting you know when a PDF contains certain features (security, layers, etc.). That's why we don't want you being able to permanently hide it."

You are making a grave mistake, no one is interested in your new useless features, thinking that you know better what users should see on their screen won't get you far.

Luckily I didn't have to deal with the updater Grant mentioned in the post above because the kind behavior he described I find EXTREMELY F*ING IRRITATING in software. It's just amazing arrogance on your part!

I really thought Adobe would know better, maybe it's cause up to know I was happily using acrobat 5.0, I was reluctant to switch because I know all too well that once basic functionality is fine developers will keep adding tons of useless "features" to justify their jobs. Too bad I had to fill some forms, and now I know I was right.

Nothing is as pissing off as a software which acts as if it knows better then it's user.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 8:33 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

Via the registry, I edited all references to AcroRd32.exe /u "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /A "navpanes=0" "%1".

When I open a PDF via phsyically clicking a PDF, it opens w/ NO NAV PANEL .. and the same if I call it from the command prompt..

HOWEVER, if I attempt to open a PDF through a web browser, the NAV PANEL is no longer hidden.

NOTE, that I have disabled browser integration, so all PDF's open in their own window.

Any suggestions?

Windows XP, btw.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 9:51 AM   in reply to rgoenner

Why do you want to hide the navigation panel?  There is extremely useful information and tools in there...

But the general answer is that there is no way to do this since we never considered a use case for it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 10:09 AM   in reply to lrosenth

Because we need to "lock down" a pc in to a virtual kiosk and the features

in the nav panel actually grant user more access to system components than

we can allow.

We have a tool that allows me to lock down file menu features as well as

the HideItems.js  script, but the nav panel has proven to be a hole in to

the OS..

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 10:22 AM   in reply to rgoenner

And Full Screen mode isn't an option in your situation?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 10:41 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

Actually, I just looked in to that.. and unfortunately I don't think that is a viable solution.   Our Helpdesk would be inundated w/ calls stating they can't "exit out" to their Point of Sale application despite the simplicity of hitting the ESC key... althought I like the idea and appreciate the suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 10:58 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

I'm up for giving it a try...

Just need to research how to do that programmatically.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 11:01 AM   in reply to rgoenner

You can just set the "Initial View" on your PDFs as Full Screen - that way every time they open, they automatically put Acrobat into Full Screen mode.  Go to File > Properties and choose the Initial View tab.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 11:16 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

Reports are mass generated via an AS400 process and converted to PDF using AS400 RJS Report splitter.. I am unaware of any settings to set this option as the reports are "split" into PDF format.  Additionally, we have a CMS system that converts various document types to PDF via JAWS, which I believe does not have a way to programatically set PDF docs to open in full screen... I need the client to be able to handle this...

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 12:34 PM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

How come if I hide the panel 1x, it remains closed on subsequent launching of PDFs?  There has got to be some setting for this function.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 6:52 AM   in reply to lrosenth

Let me ask this, if you will indulge me.

Is this possible... at all ... w/o recompiling and cracking open the code?

Are there Adobe professional services that can assist or is this "use case" just out of question?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 7:12 AM   in reply to rgoenner

Aside from using the PDF Open Parameters described above, no, there is no way.

You can open a case with Adobe Developer Support and log an enhancement request, but in the current versions this can't be done other than as described above.

I notice above that you said the Open Parameters work for you in the OS, but not in the browser control.  How are you passing the Open Parameters to the browser control when you're loading the PDF?  I just tested on my machine (Acrobat 9.1.1 Pro Extended) and they are working ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 7:40 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

Not sure I follow, I'm not a developer so I can't elaborate too much on how we're passing the Open Parameters from the browser to Adobe..

The PDFs are merely links from a webpage.. so however IE handles that by default is how we're doing it.  I'd assume IE would call one of the Open parameter keys already present in the registry that has my appended "nonav" parameter, but apparently this is not the case.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 7:54 AM   in reply to rgoenner

That assumption is incorrect.  The registry only controls the open parameters for the Acrobat/Reader application - not the browser control.  If you're just linking to the PDFs from a web page, try adding the following at then end of the link:

#navpanes=0

So your full link URL would look like:

http://my.company.com/path/to/document.pdf#navpanes=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 10:21 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\8.0\RIF]
    "bOpenNextWithTabs"=dword:00000000

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 10:34 AM   in reply to rgoenner

That is by no means a solution for a production environment, if you're truly concerned about security.  That key can be overwritten by the Acrobat application for any number of reasons, which is why it is not listed in the public documentation.  Unless your application specifically sets that key before it launches every PDF, that is not an enterprise-ready solution.  Even then it's not secure, as the user can simply re-enable the nav panel from the application or with a hotkey.

For example, a user could accidentally hit the hotkey to show the nav panel and now they have just circumvented your "security" based on that registry key.  That key will then also get set with the new value when the application closes and all your future PDFs will open with the nav panel open.

Opening the PDFs in fullscreen mode and writing a simple plug-in to not allow exiting from fullscreen mode is a much more secure option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 11:18 AM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

I have kiosk software to prevent hot keys and right click context menus.

And I do believe that I asked earlier if "professional services" could assist in the matter.. your response was.. you could not accomplish what I needed...it could not be done.

"Aside from using the PDF Open Parameters described above, no, there is no way.

You can open a case with Adobe Developer Support and log an enhancement request, but in the current versions this can't be done other than as described above.

I notice above that you said the Open Parameters work for you in the OS, but not in the browser control.  How are you passing the Open Parameters to the browser control when you're loading the PDF?  I just tested on my machine (Acrobat 9.1.1 Pro Extended) and they are working ..."

Now I have a solution.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2009 10:00 PM   in reply to (susana_albor)

I also am having a issue with the Side Panel.... I am calling the pdf with delphi 2007 with code....

something like:

################

var

mypdf : tacropdf;

Begin

//Load Method to Call loading of PDF

mypdf.Loadfile('c:\myexample.pdf');

end;

################

As you can see the above bit of code that I am calling the pdf object by a non command line method.. so adding any switches is not possible..

ie:

mydpf.loadfile('navpanes=0 c:\myexample.pdf');

just does not work..... as the loadfile method in the dll is looking for a harddrive location not a switch....

I am been trying to see of the DoObjectVerb command could take a command ... to minimize the Panel... Please let me know..

ie:

mypdf.DoObjectVerb(WM_?????);   //???? is a windows message that I would like to send to get the panel to minmize through code....

Thanks alot for any help.

I have tried to add the Reg Key ... ... I am version 9.. so I added all the keys and Dword values that were not present.... still no luck..

Lenn Dolling

Skyboard Software

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2009 1:49 AM   in reply to lrosenth

"we never considered a use case for it."

Restoring screen space which has been removed from the user unnecessarily is by definition a "use case". Adobe can be ensured over a million people have noticed their screen space has been removed when upgrading to Acrobat 8.

(On a lesser note, your UI team should not just remove icons from the toolbar which were there by default in a previous version - such as the hand button or save button).

Best Regards,

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 2:09 PM   in reply to Patrick Leckey

We have an issue to do with the navigation panel as well.  Our document properties are set for the Initial View to be bookmark panel and page.  If we click off the document and return to it, it opens up with Page panel and page.  Is there anyway to force the program to recognize the document properties?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)