Skip navigation
JJHam
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 is the Worse release of Adobe | Installation failure

May 22, 2009 12:31 PM

Dreamweaver CS4 installation is really disappointing. I tried installing it multiple time but i always get the below error. I have downloaded the trial verison of DWcs4 and it never gets installed properly. Screenshot is attached.
Many people are facing the same problem, but there is no proper solution for it. I tried installing about 10times by folnowing the procedures given in the below URLS and tried for 3days but no use;

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406241.html
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408716.html
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405654.html.

Uninstalled CS4 and ALL Adobe products
Uninstalled CS4 using MS Clean Uninstall (msiuu2)
Uninstalled using msiuu2 and WinCS4 Cleanupscript

Bad of Adobe to launch the applications that are not properly tested. I dont see any sense in purchasing the Adobe tools because if trial doesnt work then full version also doesnt work...

Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
Error:
Error 1603. Fatal error during installation.

Adobe Bridge CS4
Error:

Adobe Device Central CS4
Error:

I would really appreciate, if some one can help me with step by step procedure.Error is attached in the screenshot.
My laptop has Vista Home Premium, AMD, 4 Gb RAM.

Thanks,
Ham

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2009 5:42 PM   in reply to JJHam

JJHam hello,

I've just joined this forum hoping to find answers to any issues that come up with me.

I don't feel I have an answer for you but one of the things that bother me in forums is when no one responds.

I hate Vista. In fact the Dell I just bought came with a XP downgrade . As I read through these posts I find

that Vista errors outnumber XP at least 10 to 1. I agree that Adobe should have done more research but it's tuff with

a terrible operating system. Can't wait for Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 2:00 AM   in reply to PlymouthWeb

I agree that Adobe should have done more research

How do you know that it didn't? I was involved in beta testing Dreamweaver CS4, and went through the install/uninstall process on Vista about 50 times. Never once did I have a problem. That doesn't mean that others are making it up; and I can understand their frustration when things go wrong. But there was a huge amount of very thorough testing before Dreamweaver CS4 went out of the door.

One common problem is failure to deactivate the CS4 public beta before it expired. As well as running the CleanUp CS4 scripts, you need to remove any remaining cache.db files in Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 3:38 AM   in reply to David_Powers

huge amount of very thorough testing before Dreamweaver CS4 went out of the door.

One common problem is failure to deactivate the CS4 public beta before it expired. As well as running the CleanUp CS4 scripts, you need to remove any remaining cache.db files in Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cache.

David,

maybe this should go in the FAQ as well  ??

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 4:11 AM   in reply to Nadia-P

Hey Dave,

I don't doubt the testing procedures Adobe goes through. I think of the movie with Jodie Foster "Contact". They give her the cyanide pill and tell her it's for the reason they don't think of . Probably a bad analogy The point is we've all dealt with software that gets released and then seems to develop it's own personality. i.e. Windows ME and I think Vista.

One thing mentioned which I didn't want to mention is that this person is also running and AMD machine. While AMD chips are great, my last three machines had them, they are usually used to keep the price down. Which also means the other parts are inexpensive. Service pack 3 for XP ran havoc through HP machines.

By the way is there an auto save in this forum? The screen is fashing evey 30 sec. and my cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of my sentence.DRIVING ME NUTS. Probably this cheap ### computer I bought. Such a deal.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 4:28 AM   in reply to PlymouthWeb

PlymouthWeb wrote:

The point is we've all dealt with software that gets released and then seems to develop it's own personality. i.e. Windows ME and I think Vista.

I know a lot of people blame Vista for all the ills of the planet, but I have been using it since it was first released, and wouldn't go back to XP for anything.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and solve the installation problems that some people seem to be having. The truth is that, once you start installing software and creating files, every computer is different. Obviously, something is blocking installation for some people; but unless the cause can be identified, there's not much help that can be offered other than to tell them to run the cleanup scripts and delete files that are known to create problems. For every person who posts here about installation problems, there are probably tens of thousands who installed without a hitch. It's no consolation to someone who is having problems, the truth is that the installer is greatly improved over CS3. Now, that did have problems.

By the way is there an auto save in this forum? The screen is fashing evey 30 sec. and my cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of my sentence.DRIVING ME NUTS. Probably this cheap ### computer I bought. Such a deal.

The cursor does do funny things in the edit field, although it shouldn't happen every 30 seconds. The cursor problems have been reported, and a fix should hopefully be not too far off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 5:12 AM   in reply to Nadia-P

Nadia-P wrote:

maybe this should go in the FAQ as well  ??

Good idea. I have brought together all the relevant information I can find into this FAQ on CS4 installation problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 6:07 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Good idea. I have brought together all the relevant information I can find into this FAQ on CS4 installation problems.

Good Stuff !

Over the last week, I've been pointing people to that FAQ link when installation questions are posted - so that bit of info was useful there as well  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 3:07 PM   in reply to PlymouthWeb

The screen is fashing evey 30 sec. and my cursor keeps jumping to the beginning of my sentence.

This can happen if you've turned on the spell checker. I usually wait until I've finished composing a message before hitting the spell checker - when I remember at all.

--
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2009 2:11 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Something else to be considered, are the Anti-virus and Anti-Malware scanners up to date. With the proliferation of Malware and virus's getting smarter there could be a problem there. I have been runing Vista since it came out on a home built clone with an AMD processor, except for the first 6months (long months) my system has been rock solid.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2009 12:13 PM   in reply to JJHam

I agree with you, I am trying to download Dreamweaver CS4 for the past month unsuccessfully.  Today 5/25/09 I download it successfully but Adobe is telling me my trial period is expired.  I currently using Dreamweaver 8. Should I be trying Dreamweaver cs3,  I really need to upgrade soon.  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks

Gwen

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2009 12:20 PM   in reply to gcranmore

See the following Adobe information about early expiration of trial software.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2009 9:45 PM   in reply to JJHam

Hi,

Maybe someone here will be able to shed some light on what seems to be 'normal' installation issues. I recently purchased DWCS4 to be able to maintain a Car Club site created in another (I assume) version of DW.  When I installed the product everything went well and I registered it online. I quickly discovered no reasonable manual went with it and an internet connection was necessary every time I needed to know something - in itself a real nuisance! (I live in an area where I can only get wireless broadband - expensive and not all that fast). Obviously behind the 8 ball for a start. The support person directed me to the manual on the Adobe site, so at least that was something.

I then discovered that every time I wanted to change the colour of text I had to go through that CSS thing. Worse, I then discovered DWCS4 does not seem to readily support tables and any editing of my tables from both my Claris Home Page site and my Front Page site resulted in a big piggy mess.

Next I noticed CS4 did not FTP any updates to my sites, other than initially, and no amount of persuasion seemed to fix it.

In an effort to get this working I uninstalled the product, removing the registration, and reinstalled it re-registering it at the same time. I hoped all reference to the original would go away, but it didn't. Immediately following this my system locked up to the extent I had to to do a system restore, which I did to the day before I originally installed DWCS4. There was no obvious sign of DWCS4 when my system came back to life & I attempted to reinstall it. In retrospect the files may have still been on the system, but nothing appeared in the Start programs menu, so I assumed it had disappeared altogether.

Anyway, the support person directed me to CS4 Cleanscript which will not download at all! The CS3 version downloads OK as does the Mac version, and I have tried downloading from Firefox and Chrome, as well as IE8, with Firewalls, Virus checkers etc disabled and otherwise. I asked if the support person could just send me the app, but that was left unanswered. In fact the last response was exactly the same as the one prior, albeit from a different person!

Given I live in Australia and every response seems to therefore take 24 hours, I'm hoping someone on this forum might shed some light on this?

Thanks

Grant

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 12:23 AM   in reply to Grant3364

I then discovered that every time I wanted to change the colour of text I had to go through that CSS thing.

DW is trying to teach you to use CSS for styling *all* elements on a page, and that includes font size and colours etc.,

Using Page Properties to create a basic CSS style sheet

http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/505/cpsid_50576.html

Worse, I then discovered DWCS4 does not seem to readily support tables and any editing of my tables from both my Claris Home Page site and my Front Page site resulted in a big piggy mess.

DW does support tables - so not sure what you mean here.  It certainly is not a good option to try and edit the pages in another editor, you end up with all sorts of coding errors and bloated code.

Next I noticed CS4 did not FTP any updates to my sites, other than initially, and no amount of persuasion seemed to fix it.

Did you try and connect via another FTP program to see if it was a DW problem or just a connection problem.  Something file Filezilla or CuteFTP for testing.

The other thing to keep in mind is whether the server space on the host has been all used up - sometimes this can happen without the user knowing about it... so everytime you try and upload files, it appears to work but the files are not updated.  The other thing could be that the ISP is caching the pages and it takes a while for them to update globally.

A few people have solved any DW weirdness by re-creating their personal configuration folder:

Close Dreamweaver, locate the personal configuration folder, and rename it.

When you restart Dreamweaver, it should create a new configuration folder with all the program defaults.  

For details of how to find the configuration folder, see this page in the Dreamweaver FAQ.

You may want to take a look at the other articles for help on installation problems with DW.

Anyway, the support person directed me to CS4 Cleanscript which will not download at all! The CS3 version downloads OK as does the Mac version, and I have tried downloading from Firefox and Chrome, as well as IE8, with Firewalls,

Again, could be an ISP thing, I'm in Australia and managed to download the script a little while ago using Firefox.  If you Private Message me with an email address, I can send you a link to download it, or send the zip to you via email  - though it is quite a large file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 3:01 PM   in reply to Grant3364

Hey Grant,

I'm afraid I won't be much help with your issues. But one thing I've

learned is never buy software and then just download. I always insist on

a hard copy. That said I'm in agreement with your issues of CSS

scripting, tables and online support. The CSS thing drives me crazy.

I've been told you can shut it off. But I gave up. Instead I started

taking online courses for xhtml, css, and I took one for Fireworks.

www.eclasses.org they also offer a course in Dreamweaver. At this point

from taking the classes I don't use Dreamweaver anymore. I actually

enjoy coding the page out myself. I have more control and, in my opinion

Dreamweaver does a lousy job with CSS and unless your familiar with the

code it leaves frustrated with a mess. AND if you know the code you

realize you can do a better job. <www.eclasses.org>

I would insist on them sending you a hard copy.

One other thing If I understand you, you said you did a system restore

(was this a roll back?) _before _you initially had installed DW4. May I

ask why? This points to an unstable system to begin with. Hate to say it

but you may need to set your system back to factory settings.

I would also call Adobe and insist on a hardcopy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points