Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Point Distribution Appreciation Station (after Buko)

May 21, 2009 1:26 PM

I have a serious question, and I hope that someone here can provide me with a correct answer, or at least a helpful one. I'm really concerned that my social standing here in the User-to-User Forums is a bit low. You know, everyone who posts here regularly has some sort of reputation, and according to my own strictly qualitative analysis, my reputation isn't as prestigious as it could be.

Of course, if we had some sort of tool that would give us reliable and quantitative feedback on the accuracy and usefulness of our posts, then it would be comparatively easy for me to improve my reputation. I'd simply post, examine the statistical feedback on that post, and adjust my posting style to match those posts that had the best feedback. However, in the absence of such a tool, I'm going to have to rely asking you, the forum regulars, what you think I should to do improve my social rank, and then think about your responses, and apply those responses to my posting style. You might remember this somewhat quaint technique ("conversation") from the past. Before you say "Oh my gawd, how twentieth-century!" let me say that although I last used this technique in a job where I set up Arabic signage with Letraset, I'm sure that it's still a perfectly valid tool. Just like Ventura.

So, fellow Forum-ites: what should I do to improve my social rank in these Forums? The only incentive I can offer you are these "points." I think that you might be able to trade them 1-to-1 for frequent flyer miles from participating airlines, or maybe if you save up enough points, you could redeem them for a commemorative lighter with the Adobe logo. Whatever they're for, I know you want them, so please do post your considered responses to my inquiry, and I will award some of these "points" to the posts with the best answers.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2009 1:31 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel,

If I could give you my points, I would. I seem to rack them up for no good reason other than I'm always here.

As far as I'm concerned, you are the number one expert when it comes to working with non-Roman languages and fonts.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 1:39 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

If you want points, just answer every third post, whether you know the right answer or not. The people giving them out don't know, and as far as I can tell it's sheer volume that gets you credibility around here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 1:41 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Is that the Red with Black trim, or Black with Red trim version of the jacket, by the way?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 2:08 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Just reply to every other post and tell someone to trash their preferences. I'd bet that would be the correct answer 50% of the time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 2:26 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

My point count has gone up 15 since you started this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 2:52 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney
    ... as far as I can tell it's sheer volume that gets you credibility around here.

Totally true. I'm embarrassed by both the number of posts I've made over the years and my ranking amongst Peter Spier, Bob Levine, and Dave Saunders. AFAIAC, they are the giants and I am standing in their footsteps, peering over the edge.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 3:07 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I consider myself fairly small in stature and am a bit bemused by the rankings. All they mean is I have 1) too much time on my hands, and 2) a desire to repay the kindness and help I've received here. At least half of my so-called "expertise" has come from this forum.

You, too, are among the core responders I'm glad to see participating (and I don't mean to slight anyone by omission here). I think that too often the word doesn't get back to you folks about how much the rest of us appreciate your contributions and expertise. There is vastly too much complexity, and it gets more complex with each version, for any single person to be an "expert" in all phases of the program. It is the dedication and diversity of the group that makes this a true community and the valuable resource that it has become.

In case you don't know, the ID forum is probably the most user-friendly of the bunch, and I would bet we have the fastest response time, and that's a tribute to all of you out there, not just me or Bob or Dave.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 3:33 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

This is the exact reason this whole points # of posts thing is stupid. I had over 25,000 originally from when I started here. Then at the last changeover I lost a bunch now I'm back up to 6000+.

I personally think that giving an answer and the quality of that answer is much more important than any these stupid points and post numbers. Being known by your piers as someone who gives good/correct answers has worked in these parts for at least 10 years now.

Why do we need to prove ourselves all over again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 6:39 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel, here are my points to you: reading the answers you've given to other people (and I think you've directly answered some of my questions too) has given me the tools to tell a few clients I can definitely do their work (and to tell a few I can't) and then to actually do it. You (and quite a few others here) have considerably broadened my horizons.

Thank you. (Sorry it doesn't do anything to help with your point count.)

Ken (whose post count reset to 0 at the changeover for some reason, probably because I always used to post via NNTP)

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 7:08 PM   in reply to Kenneth Benson

I recently came back to the forum to ask for help on an InDesign menu project. The point system was new to me and I had to ask who was supposed to check the helpful or correct answer box and found out that it was only me (the original poster). I still don't get what the points are all about (do people really win prizes like jackets?) All I have to say is that people who come here to ask for help with a specific problem are so lucky to have so many people willing to give of their time to assist.

Here's a quote from me in my thread:

"I want to stress that I have learned so much from everyone's generosity and I hope that all of you have warm and fuzzy feelings for helping me and know how much I appreciate it."

Isn't the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts helped someone more special than any stupid points?

Patty

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 9:35 PM   in reply to pattyclarke

I'd rather have a warm fuzzy than points anyday.

Now everyone give me more points I want them all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2009 10:46 PM   in reply to Buko.

Okay now I feel silly, sort of like when you walk into a room with three-feet of toilet paper trailing behind you. I am a visitor  to the community and knew nothing about the point deal. After searching the threads about "points" I realize it is an issue that I shouldn't have commented on. But I do hope people don't lose sight of what a terrific place the Adobe forums are to help people who need it.

Patty

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 12:49 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Hi Joel,

I agree with you 100%.

The point system has the potential of ruining the entire atmosphere of 

this highly professional forum. Generally the most professional of the 

participants have the least spare time on their hands. Like you, their 

responses are not that often, but very accurate, limited to their 

areas of expertise, and very much to the point when they come.

To name a few there's: You, Peter Truskier, Dominic Hurley (whom I 

haven't seen since the change-over), Peter Gold, Dov Issacs, Gerald 

Singelmann, Ole Kvern, Sandee Cohen, (hmm. I stand the chance of 

insulting people if I stop, but there's no way I can list everyone who 

belongs in this list...) you get the picture...

Unless you spend a ridiculous amount of time on these forums, you will 

not collect a whole pile of points. I would never argue with Dominic 

Hurley about how long documents should be done, or with you about how 

to go about handling foreign languages (unless I want to be made into 

a fool). Considering someone to be more professional than Ole Kvern 

because they might have more points, is simply laughable! Anyone want 

to take Dov Issacs up on the finer points of postscript and pdf?

think I'll teach Shane Stanley a thing or two about AppleScript... 

NOT!

Until now, participant status has been based on content of their posts 

alone, WHICH IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!!!

If someone wants to write up a letter to be sent into Adobe's 

corporate headquarters on why this point system (and answering system) 

needs to be abolished, I'll be the first to print it out, sign it, and 

send it in!

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 3:48 AM   in reply to pattyclarke

pattyclarke wrote:

Isn't the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts helped someone more special than any stupid points?

You betcha!

The thing that makes me feel the best about what I do here is when a user says thanks.

Like the points, the prizes are all imaginary and quite useless.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 6:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

P Spier wrote:

The thing that makes me feel the best about what I do here is when a user says thanks.

Me too, but I get a certain degree of reward just from knowing I figured out a problem. A lot of this is like putting together a puzzle: someone asks a question leaving out important details, calling a feature something different from the official name, sometimes with an "accent". If they come back later and say "That was it!", I've got my ego fix. I figured out the problem and a solution.

The other reward for me is that figuring out problems (especially if I figure them out from someone else's perspective) fixes them in my memory. Nearly everything I've learned about Indesign has come from trying to answer someone else's question. Someone will ask about Find/Change, for instance. I know that GREP is very powerful, but I know only just enough to get myself in trouble. So I play with it a little and post a GREP string (usually a suitable but less-than-efficient solution). Then Jongware comes along and shows me how it can be improved. :^) The next time I need something similar for my own work, I already have a solution (although I've probably forgotten the better one from Jongware...).

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 10:28 AM   in reply to Harbs.

“Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck,
      And yet methinks I have astronomy.”

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 10:19 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Well it seems I've inadvertently made a personal mistake causing more point drama.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/434881?tstart=0

Patty

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 2:46 AM   in reply to pattyclarke

What if you post in 2 forums?  Do your points in one contribute to your status in another?  Does anyone care anyway?  It is interesting to know though.  I totally agree with the gist of what everyone's said already, it's the collaborative learning experience available here that counts. However while the points themsleves don't matter, the star showing you've solved a problem for someone or helped them is still very satisfying!

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 3:13 AM   in reply to Stix Hart

Yes your points carry over - so you can be a world-renowned expert in one area, pick up a different app for the first time and stroll into that forum looking like Mr/Ms know-it-all with a squillion points. I'll readily admit to a getting a little warm-fuzzy from a genuine star, but a real thank you is much better. I'm also getting sucked in to where I feel a bit miffed if I give someone a correct answer and they don't know to give me points. Help, I'm being corrupted

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 3:24 AM   in reply to Kath-H

That's worrying!!  I feel your pain on the no points awarded questions, it would be a total breach of etiquette but you harbour thoughts of saying 'Hey, I answered your question, don't leave the whole thing blank, give me my yellow star with the green tick'  They call them endorphins...

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 4:41 PM   in reply to Stix Hart

I'll readily admit to a getting a little warm-fuzzy from a genuine star, but a real thank you is much better. I'm also getting sucked in to where I feel a bit miffed if I give someone a correct answer and they don't know to give me points. Help, I'm being corrupted

I asked this in the other thread too, so hopefully I will get a link from someone. How would the original poster that knows nothing about the point system know what they are supposed to do? Here I am gushing appreciation about the help I've received but I don't do the right thing and it diminished my gratitude.

Patty

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 4:53 PM   in reply to pattyclarke

There are two types of threads you can start, questions and not questions. You must use the web interface to start a question, and you probably also need to use it to award the points. Only answers to questions can receive points.

If points can be awarded, the original poster will see buttons for doing so in each response, and only they can award points.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 5:15 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

-              this encourages people to answer for points and helps you track answers.

Peter,

The point I'm making is how does the original poster know that the obligation is theirs to award the points? When I clicked on the start a new discussion, the above is what it says...

When I first saw the helpful and correct buttons on a thread I started, I didn't even know that I was the one that was supposed to do that. I thought some forum guru was the judge. It's just not clear to people who come to a forum to ask the experts for help.

Patty

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 5:22 PM   in reply to pattyclarke

I'll pass that along...

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 10:15 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Case in point. I've just answered a question in Golive. Mine is the only response. The OP says that what I explained didn't exactly work, but it pointed him in the right direction and his problem is solved.

He marked the question answered, but didn't award any points - presumably, like Patty, he didn't know they exist. (Oh no, I'm so hurt! ) So far so-so, except that the solution he's come up with sounds like a bodge that will lead him into more trouble down the road.

But the question is now marked answered, so anyone else coming along will think it's sorted out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points