• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate3 score transmission to LMS not working in Firefox

New Here ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing a troubling problem with Captivate 3 quiz scores not transmitting to the LMS when using Firefox. The exact same functionality works perfectly in IE. We have narrowed it down to a TIMING problem for how quickly data is passed to the LMS, which differs by browser, and we would like to know if anyone has a solution (other than telling users only to use IE --- not an option).

Using Firefox:

When you finish the course quiz, the score is calculated and reported correctly within Captivate. When you exit the course immediately after that, a PARTIAL score is reported to the LMS, it is almost always incorrect, and it varies from session to session. For example, if you scored 100% (and Captivate told you that), the completion status and score will show up in the LMS as 20%, 30%, or some small percentage that is less than a passing grade and definitely less than 100%.

The critical thing we've noticed is that Captivate will take a long time (almost 3 minutes!) while it sits and processes data at the end of the quiz, on the Results screen. You can see the cursor reacting, which is a visual cue that processing is still happening. If you wait for that processing to finish and THEN check your score in the LMS, *amazingly* it is correct (100%). But if you exit the course normally, without waiting 3 minutes to return to the LMS, your score will not be correctly reported. So... why is there this lag, and why is it reporting ANY score at all if processing is still occurring, as opposed to a zero score? What is it processing that takes so long and when is it sending what to the LMS??  This gets even more interesting when you see how it works in a different browser...

Using IE:

There is no processing lag and never a problem. All scores are reported correctly and immediately when you exit the course and go to the LMS.

We have been trying to isolate the problem and figure out why Firefox handles this differently than IE and what we can do to fix it.

I have stripped the lesson down to only 10 interactions (clickables) that are included in the Quiz score. All other objects are set to 0, and not included in the quiz. Advanced Interaction map verifies a clean slate.

Quiz Reporting is set to:

Enable reporting (checked)

SCORM version 1.2

80% = passing grade

Report Pass or Fail = Status as defined by report data

Report Data = Quiz Results Only

Report Score to LMS = Percent

Reporting Level = Report Score (I'm not reporting or tracking interactions)

Our LMS is Pathlore.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with Captivate vs. Firefox and what we can do to make score reporting behave properly?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ginnycr,

I'm experiencing the same issue with Captivate 4 and it looks like this problem has been around for quite some time now. Have a look at this link:

http://www.koma-medien.de/elearning/forum/archive/index.php/t-1140.html

at the bottom of the thread someone posts this:

"The slow issue is resolved when I force the g_intAPIType to 0 (into the
<project>.htm file), so it force Captivate to communicate as if it was into IE."

Try it out and see if it works? I'll test on my end too. Hopefully one of us will come up with a solution! (or one of the nice Captivate experts on this forum will jump in and rescue us)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources