• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reference MS Access database in CF8 64bit - OS Vista 64bit - The answer

May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I think I found the way of adding MS Aceess (2007) to CF8 (64bit) on OS Vista Premium (64bit).

I did have problem doing this for some time and I have visited many forums looking for an answer. However today I think I found the answer how to connect the MSAccess db. If you remember it was very easy to do this with the 32 bit where we had an option for "Microsoft Access for Unicode”. In the CF8 64bit you do not have this option but only "Microsoft Access". I think the problem was because CF8 was point to the \Windows\system32 directory instead of SysWOW64. Both system32 and SysWOW64 hold same application - ODBC Data Source Administrator (odbcad32.exe). If you open the one under SysWOW64 an click on Drivers tab you will see that all drivers are there. But if you open the one under system32 (same filename) you will notice that there is only one driver listed, well at least that's what I saw in my PC. NOTE: you will need to have an admin rights in order to open these files.

Then I decided to overwrite the file from SysWOW64 to system32 ( note: you will need to assign full control in order to overwrite this file, to do so right click on the file, choose properties and then security tab, make sure that you have all ticks under the permission for SYSTEM box). After you done this there is more work for you to do.

Double click on the application or you can open via the Control Panel  > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC).

Now you will open the same application but this time you will have all drivers listed in it.

Click on System DSN tab and then Add button. Choose the drivers ( in this case Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) and click finish.

In the data source name enter the name of the database

Click select and navigate to the folder where you have Access file is saved in. When you select the folder, in the left panel you will see the database file(s). Select and click OK. Click OK again. The database will appear under the System Data Sources window. Click Apply and then OK. The application will close.

Open CF8 Admin page and navigate to the Data Sources.
Give a name to your database in the Data Source Name filed and choose Microsoft Access as your driver.

Click Add button.

Database File – navigate to your MS Access Database file.

System Database File - C:\windows\system32\system.mdw ( enter as it is)

Use Default User name – tick this box

Click Submit.

You will get an error at the top:
Unable to update the NT registry. Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined.

Do not worry. Click Cancel this will take you back to the Data Sources window. Click Verify All Connections button and you will see OK against your MS Access database.

If you use Dreamweaver you will see it under the databases. Ola! now you have MS Access connected via the MS Access drivers.

I have attached document with screenshot for you to follow. If it is working then I will be happy to know that I somehow contributed to help those who had the same problem as I had ( not anymore ).

Any questions please email to v_sabov@yahoo.co.uk

Venci

CIW Professional

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too risky, I think. It isn't about Windows; it's about Coldfusion. When Adobe says 64-bit Coldfusion 8.0.1 doesn't support Microsoft Access, I get the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this really helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2010 Apr 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went ahead and tried this, renamed the old files in case I needed them, but it work.  I can now use the Access DB.  Good because I had lots of DBs I was migrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vini160409, You totally Rule!

I noted just one brief update:  I am using Access 2007, and my database has the suffix .accdb.  That uses a slightly different driver than the one described in your (very careful) instructions; fortunately, it was also available in the drivers in the program odbcad32.exe in the System 32 folder, so it was available to me when I added the new database from within the SysWOW64 folder.  This fix allows me to use LiveView with a ColdFusion site from within DreamWeaver.  Thanks much for making this public!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A thousand thanks for this. It saved me a lot of hair pulling and teeth-grinding. And it works like a charm. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just went into the appropriate odbcad32.exe and added a new datasource with the same details that I had put in CFAdmin in the system databases tab.

That seems to work without having to replace any files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation