Skip navigation
Tolouse
Currently Being Moderated

Authoring on tablet PC --y/n??

May 30, 2009 11:02 PM

I wish to replace my desktop replacement with a tablet PC!

I have visions of Cintique-like functionality yet portable majesty...

But the graphics cards on these machines are total crap. 

However, some graphics card models claim to steal memory from the RAM, so in theory if I soup up the RAM I have a really powerful graphics card?

Anybody out there author on a tablet PC?  I'm running Flash CS3, and must make my decision soon!

An exmaple PC for those unfamiliar: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?stor eName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable& series_name=tx2z_series

Replies
  • kglad
    72,220 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    May 30, 2009 11:29 PM   in reply to Tolouse

i don't use a tablet pc, but i do run a mac virtualization on my pc (so i can code for the iphone) and because of a lack of video card drivers, i am stuck working in a 12 inch diagonal window when using my vitural mac.

and i hate it.  having that small a space to work in puts a severe crimp in my work-flow.

if you're used to working with that window size, then i have nothing to suggest.  but, if you're not used to working with that sized display, i strongly recommend trying it and imagine working with it for a few hours or for however long you usually work.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,220 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    May 31, 2009 9:48 AM   in reply to Tolouse

you're going to draw on that while on a train?  isn't the train's motion going to make it difficult?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to Tolouse

I use Tablet PC's and I love them, however, there are a few compromises when using a Tablet as compared to your Cintiq (and to laptops/desktops in general). You may be off-put by the relatively low pressure sensitivity/resolution of Tablets for graphic applications (256 levels for all Tablet PC's that I know of, compared to 512 and up for dedicated graphics tablets and Cintiq).

HTH,

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points