Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Project suddenly won't open, error message displayed

Jun 5, 2009 7:34 AM

Can anyone shed any light on the following error message?
[\Monk\main\common\PremiereShell\Src\PlayerFactory.cpp-379]
I'm half way through a project; all was well when I shut down yesterday, but today the project won't open. The error message offers me a "continue" option, but doing so only opens a "working" dialogue which sits at 0% and does nothing. Audition is otherwise happy, all other projects opening fine, just not the one I need!

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Aidan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2009 10:53 AM   in reply to Aidan Bell

That Session File is dead in the water.  You'll basically have to rebuild the session.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 12:05 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

Aidan,

Did this occur after installing the 3.01 update patch?

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2009 4:22 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

Maybe you could upload the session file for examination - it may help someone in the future

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440515?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to Aidan Bell

I'd like to bump this, and see if any new information is out there.  We had it happen to two users last week, one of whom was doing "Save As..." as

she went along, and only lost a little work.  The other lost a couple of hours of work, and we had to broadcast a rerun at the last second.  Not good.

Is there any idea at all what causes this to happen?

PS  Both machines had the 3.0.1 patch installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 2:14 PM   in reply to John V Sullivan

John,

Would it be possible to e-mail one or both of the corrupt session files to audbugs@adobe.com so we can take a look at them?  There were some cases in 3.0 where this might happen, but those issues were addressed in the 3.01 update.  Did this occur on the same machine or were they both using different systems?

Thanks,

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 2:26 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hi Durin:

Different systems.  In fact, different configurations entirely - soundcards, motherboards, etc.

Attached is the offending file.  It looks like the other user already cleaned up things, but I'll ask her if I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for your help,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 3:23 PM   in reply to _durin_

Quick followup, I'm not sure those are patched after all.  We tried to do these via Group Policy install, which was tricky.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 10:28 AM   in reply to _durin_

Hey Durin - Just to follow up, the 3.0.1 patch was indeed not installing via Group Policy, even though it showed up on Add/Remove programs, and got as far as updating the Audition splash screen.  Go figure.

Anyway, we're reinstalling the patch the old-fashioned way.  Sounds like maybe this will do it.

Thanks for your help,

John

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 10:41 AM   in reply to John V Sullivan

Well, that's entirely confusing!  I'll need to look into where the application locates the version number that it displays.

Keep an eye on things after the update is installed and please let me know if it behaves better or if the problems continue.

Thanks,

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 7:34 PM   in reply to _durin_

wait a minute...

so If I save a back up of my project under the same name...and then the original gets corrupted...then the backup will ALSO not work unless it's been labeled under a different name??

I would really appreciate some clarification on that because all my backups use the same name as the original but are on seperate harddrives or partitions.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 11:00 PM   in reply to Ned43

"so If I save a back up of my project under the same name...and then the original gets corrupted...then the backup will ALSO not work unless it's been labeled under a different name??"

Well if someone saves a backup under the same name in the same location then clearly it is actually overwritting the original and yes as they are now the same session then if one is corrupt the 'backup' is corrupt.

Clearly this isn't a backup.

But in your situation you are making a backup to a different drive/etc so if the original session file (.ses) gets corrupted no your backup will not be corrupted.

You can try this utility http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/sesbackup.htm its pretty handy for hunting down & backing up all or selected session files.

You can also use this utility http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/ to examine your session files and see the exact path of the files referenced within your session file.

But note that if you make a copy of your session & media (ie the whole folder - lets say on H: drive) and put it on another drive (say E:) if you open the session on the E: drive then (as MediaSweeper will show you) AA will open the session on E: and reference the files on the H: drive but if those files are no longer on the H: drive (ie the original location) then AA will look in the current folder that the session is in.

Its handy to know that otherwise you may think you are working on a backup but you are actually working on the original.

Remember as with all software - Save early and save often!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 11:39 PM   in reply to Suite Spot

"save early and often"

yea shure sounds great; but that could end up screwing you...if you were to have a corrupt session and save that across your couple backups then their all bad now, because you saved early and often...if you only saved "early" but not often then maybe you wouldn't end up saving the corrupt session but you might not have all the files from that session in your backup, but somethings better then nothing.

The session should tell you it's corrupted before you save it, people going around saving corrupted session unknowingly that's dangerous.

and what you described is downright ridiculous, if I open the session on drive E: I want it to reference and save files to that folder.

Are you sure this is true?  What I do is make a folder for each project which contains both the session file and the wav files.

In this case when the session and sound files are contained in their own folder does it still reference the original?

What I change the name you know like if the original session was called "experimental" and I renamed the backup "experimental#2" would the back up still reference the original?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2010 12:12 AM   in reply to Ned43

"...if you were to have a corrupt session and save that across your couple backups then their all bad now, because you saved early and often..."

Hmm based on that logic probably best not to backup at all.

"but you might not have all the files from that session in your backup, but somethings better then nothing"

its not the audio thats the real worry - its the session file which instructs AA how to assemble the media for your project.

"and what you described is downright ridiculous, if I open the session on drive E: I want it to reference and save files to that folder."

Yet again your right I guess but apart from what you "want" and what the facts are I guess that doesn't matter.

Are you sure this is true?

No I made that up.

Of course its true and if you bothered to check out mediasweeper it would show you how true that is.

"In this case when the session and sound files are contained in their own folder does it still reference the original?"

If you read what I wrote in the last post you wouldn't have to ask that question.

What I change the name you know like if the original session was called "experimental" and I renamed the backup "experimental#2" would the back up still reference the original?

Thats like saying if you change the name of an MS Word document you want to know if it changes the text of the document.

I've given you all I have so if you don't believe me or you know better than thats just as good to me.

Have a nice day

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points