I'm running Adobe CS4 on Vista Ultimate x64. I've got about 20 sites setup in DW right now but this problem is only happening to 1 single site. Within that site it happens on any given page and it seems to happen either immediately upon opening the page or when I switch from code view to design view. It happens very often. I can't work for 5 min on this site without it crashing Dreamweaver.
When DW crashes the details shows that the problem is ntdll.dll. The Vista logs show the following:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Logged: 6/8/2009 11:36:54 PM
Task Category: (100)
Here is the XML version of the details that the Vista log gives me...
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Application Error" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>100</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-09T04:36:54.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>23641</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>officedesktop</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>Dreamweaver.exe</Data> <Data>10.0.0.4117</Data> <Data>48c874b4</Data> <Data>ntdll.dll</Data> <Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data> <Data>4791a783</Data> <Data>c015000f</Data> <Data>0005b663</Data> <Data>1b18</Data> <Data>01c9e8bb1d71cccf</Data> </EventData> </Event>
I've been battling this for 2 weeks now and I've already taken the following steps to try and resolve this issue.
1) I deleted the WinFileCache.dat file located in /user/appdata/roaming/dreamweaver cs4/en_us/configuration and then closed/re-opened DW. This did not solve the problem.
2) Based on researching Google and similar problems with this file I ran a system file check by entering the following at a command prompt: SFC /scannow. This successfully scanned and returned the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I went ahead and tried DW again but the problem still occurs.
3) I uninstalled CS4 via Programs and Features in Vista. I told it to remove application preferences as well. I then downloaded and used the CS4Cleaner tool which said it successfully removed everything. Then I rebooted. Then I re-installed CS4, rebooted, then installed all of the updates and rebooted again. The problem still occurs. The interesting about this point is that when I re-installed all of my site cache was still available in DW even though I had used the CS4Cleaner tool. I didn't have to re-create any of my sites in DW, they were all still there.
4) Because of the fact that it's only happening with 1 single site I thought maybe something with that site's cache in DW or something was just screwed up. So then I decided to go ahead and simply try removing the site from DW's configuration and then re-add it (which I should have done as one of the first steps but didn't think about it). Anyway, that didn't work either. Same problem.
At this point I'm completely mind-boggled. I have no idea what the Windows logs are telling me with all those gibberish values and nothing on Google or in any forums has an actual answer to this problem.
I've had been working on this machine for about a year and have been working on this problem site the entire time. The issue did not occur until just a couple of weeks ago.
Any information on how I can troubleshoot this problem and get it fixed would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end. Thanks!
This is a system error.
Check the following.
The aren't any external scripts other than whatever Analytics and ClickTale are doing. I also have an affiliate program involved in the mix but all of these things have been included since before the crashes began to occur.
No CGI Scripts. No Ajax. All XHTML and PHP, no compiled code.
I am connect to some web services within my code but again that's all been in place the whole time I've been using this site. The only other external services would be the test server and FTP server as I have configured in the site settings.
The ClickTale stuff is the newest addition. If you're not familiar with it they do a recording of all your visitors so you can actually watch what they do while browsing your site. They have a set of PHP files that you upload to your server and then you just include 1 file at the top and 1 file at the bottom of all your pages. Once again, though, these includes are not on every single page I have (for example, processor pages that don't display anything) but those pages crash when I open them or switch from code to design view also.
According to the Vista Performance Monitor the first DW crash was on 5/29/09. The day before that there was an update for Windows Defender installed. On 5/18/09 there was also a Defender update. The log only shows me back to 5/13 but I don't see any other updates (or any major software installed at all) between 5/13 and 5/29 when it first crashed.
You can locate Dreamweaver crash logs at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration\CrashLogs. It might be worth your while contacting Adobe technical support and sending them the crash logs.
Europe, Middle East and Africa