I am forced to revisit this topic, since the recent 8.1.6 update broke the previous customizations, and I started having the same error again. Shrugging, I wanted to try the old trick of changing the port. But guess what! This time around, I could not find any port that says "desktop/*.pdf" or "document/*.pdf" as before. When I tried to add a new port, I found that the entire Adobe PDF port type was missing, and when I tried to install a new port type, it started asking for a .INF file.
A websearch saved the day, and I stumbled onto this solution in the Adobe forums by user
Hope this helps someone.
Well I can give you what I did to get around the problem. I am running Adobe X pro on windows 7.
1. The print job in queue, cancel it so that it is deleted. You now should have no jobs pending.
2. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers(Win7) or just the printer and devices for your OS. Yes this must be done with Admin privilages.
3. Go to Printer Properties for the Adobe PDF printer.
4. Select the ports tab. Mine was on Com3.
5. Select Add a Port and call it Adobe Printer or something.
6. Select the check box and select apply.
You should now print with no errors.
Yes I am aware this has been a year, but this has happened over several versions.
I was getting this error and having trouble finding a solution so thought I would post what I did to fix it for people in the future.
Same problem as described in this post with "Error Printing" message.
I found that because the user was not an administrator they could not print to the adobe pdf printer. Admin accounts on the same machine could print fine.
I came across this post:
which mentions giving users permissions on a registry key.
Doing this worked perfectly for me and stopped the error (for distiller 7) the key is below.