Skip navigation
RobSTL
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to connect to Online Device Library

Feb 3, 2009 8:55 AM

Just installed Tech. Comms. Suite 2 and tried to use the Adobe Device Central CS4 application. Unfortunately, I keep getting the message "Device Central could not connect to the Online Device Library. The action could not be completed. Make sure your computer has Internet access and try again."

My computer definitely has access to the internet (as demonstrated by me posting this cry for help!). I have checked our firewall and it does not block access to port 80 and it does not restrict *.dat files, as a previous post suggested, so I am at a loss. No other application has trouble connecting and I can't see any options within Device Central to change it's routing to the outside world.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2009 7:14 AM   in reply to RobSTL
    Hi Rob,

What machine are you using? What type of internet environment are you in? If it is a laptop you could try from elsewhere.

Can you also check and see whether you have version 2.0 or 2.1 of the application? 2.1 is the latest version to which you should be able to update.

Thanks,
    Nandi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 8:35 AM   in reply to RobSTL
    Hi Rob,

Give this a go:

- Exit Device Central
    - Delete (or rename or place elsewhere in case you have some self created XMLs in the folder) the "Adobe Device Central CS4" folder from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Adobe
    - Start application

Sometimes data in the "Adobe Device Central CS4" user folder could get corrupted due to connection issues

and see if it helps

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 9:11 AM   in reply to RobSTL
    I'll keep an eye on this forum and let you know if any other ideas come to mind. Looks like your network somehow doesn't like the online device library. Would be interesting to find out

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 9:54 AM   in reply to Jens Nandi
    Hi,
    I am having the same issue with CS4. Does this has anything to do with how the CS4 is installed or setup?

Any settings in the CS4 is required for connect to the "Online Device Library"?

Thanks
    Ka.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2009 10:13 AM   in reply to RobSTL
    kat_zh,

Actually there are no extra settings for the "Online Device Library".
    Are you also using the "Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2" as Rob is?
    Are you in a company network with certain resrictions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2009 2:22 PM   in reply to Jens Nandi
    I am having the same issue, most likely because of our corporate proxy server. Surely adobe software must have options for connecting through a proxy server?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2009 5:01 PM   in reply to RobSTL
    I am also on a corporate network behind a proxy server.

Aside from being unable to connect to the online device library, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing fatal crashes at this point? For me, I'd say it happens 4/5 times I start Device Central. Blue screen of death type crashes... complete hardware lockup

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2009 3:26 AM   in reply to RobSTL

I'm having the same problem here.

I cannot connect to the online device library.

I am behind an authenicating proxy, but I don't think this is the problem as the connection to the library does not even get flagged by my proxy server at all so is it even going through the standard proxy port???? I don't think so as I get nothing logged on the proxy.

This must be a bug with Adobe products that it doesn't properly read the settings from your browser.

!m!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2009 7:10 AM   in reply to maaarcooose

Hi,

The solution to this problem is stored in this tech note, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408907.html

Note that you have two choices only, to get your IT team to open access to the library, or to download the files for manual use.

regards,

Mark

www.flashmobileblog.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 1:26 PM   in reply to mucatron

And that solution is totally unnacceptable. I can't get our corporate network changed without good reason and I can't give anyone a good reason to use Device Central with all the question marks and generic phone graphics everywhere. I'm sure Adobe has a very good reason for not allowing it to be downloaded, but I can't believe Adobe has no other way to get it.

Oh, and the email at the bottom of that technote is undeliverable: devices@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 2:14 PM   in reply to The Kraken

Hi,

Using Device Centrals update feature should be an excellent reason if you cannot do your job correctly.  Many of our largest OEM customers have enabled access on their networks, so really there should be no issue.

The alternative is to download the database manually using the steps provided. If your corporate network blocks that as well then it's surely time to speak to IT.

In the next release of the tool we have address this issue and added proxy support, for now however you can use either of those solutions.

thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2009 2:30 PM   in reply to mucatron

I've already put in a request, but, here again it's not about being able to do my job correctly, it's about getting buy-in. I'd like to use this tool, but if it's going to be a hassle to get going it probably won't happen. I can't wait for the next version and if I don't strike now I may not get a chance to show the benefits and we'll start using something else.

It's no real skin off my nose, but it's a big wall that I don't think is necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2009 12:32 AM   in reply to mucatron

I think you're missing the point here.

If I have to access the internet through a proxy for security reasons, there is no way I can just have open access to anywhere. Yes I can make it non scanned, or not require authentication, but I still have to go through the proxy.

The solution is still unacceptable. Proxy support needs adding to ANYTHING that accesses the internet.

By the way, I know how to do my job properly. I am the IT department and anything accessing the internet has to go through the proxy server and be scanned. Unlike some companies we care about the security of our network.

!m!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2009 6:31 AM   in reply to maaarcooose

right on!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 6:35 AM   in reply to The Kraken

Hey,

I'm trying to be as helpful as possible here, if I had a magic solution then you would have it by now.  Unfortunately the two solutions provided are all that is possible, and my belief is that adding an exception to the proxy is a good interim step.

If you can't do that then we have provided a downloadable database for you to integrate manually.  But if you're proxy bans this then you have the option of transferring the database via usb stick or other means.

Like I said, in the next version we have added this support based on the feedback provided.

I hope you enjoy using Device Central.

Mark

www.flashmobileblog.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 12:32 AM   in reply to mucatron

I think you still missed some of what I had said.

It doesn't seem to pick up ANY proxy information because the proxy server never even gets a hit on it.

We run with our proxy on port 3128 not 80. If it at least picked up the info but didn't authenticate, I could get round the problem by adding the exception, but it doesn't even do that.

!m!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2009 3:34 AM   in reply to RobSTL

Hi

I am having the exact problem. I have installed Flash CS4 but get the same message about not being able to connect to the Device Central Online Library.

Hope theres someone out there to help me.

Paul

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)